Vypyr 60 and a cab..

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
zite31

Vypyr 60 and a cab..

Post by zite31 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:45 am

Greetings. I have a question regarding my amp and my roommates Marshall cab. On the back of my Vypyr 60 Tube it has this...

Ext. Speaker 8 Ω
then below the input it has
60 Watts
30.9v RMS
16 Ohms

The Marshall cab is a model MG412A
It has this on the back
120w RMS
Lead 4x12"
8 Ohms

So obviously the cab is made for 8 Ω. The Vypyr is confusing me though. Is it stating I can connect an 8 Ω cab and have nothing to worry about? Or, should it be a 16 Ω cab? I don't want to damage my amp nor my roommates cab by hooking it up.
The main reasoning behind this is that he got a new drum set a while back. If I push my amp over 5/6 it starts to sound rather bad. I'm mostly playing on the red Rectifier amp model with scooped mids, low about 50% and highs around 70%. I turn my preamp down to around 65-70% and post around 80%. I can hear myself fairly well cutting through the drum set but I'd like to get it louder without the high pitch squealing feedback sound and bass that sounds like it's about to blow up my internal speaker. I have tried both of my guitars, one being an ESP with active pickups and my Dave Mustaine signature series with passives. Any help, information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

JamesPaul

Re: Vypyr 60 and a cab..

Post by JamesPaul » Fri May 23, 2014 6:10 pm

The extension cabinet for the Tube 60 and Tube 120 should be a 16 ohm cabinet. It is noted in the VYPYR Owners Manual.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Mon May 26, 2014 6:16 pm

cab needs to be rated at 16 ohms.
Dalrymple

markcm

Post by markcm » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:42 am

I'm sure there are several other posts that will clarify this as well but here's some info on how the vypyr impedence works:

The transformer has both 8 ohm and 16 ohm taps although these are not "directly" user accessable.

The Extention jack is a "switching jack". When nothing is connected to the extention jack, the transformer is set to 16 ohms which is matched to the 16 ohm internal speaker. When a plug is connected to the extention jack, the jack switches the transformer to 8 ohms; the speaker cabinet connected to the extention jack should be 16 ohms since it will be connected in parallel with the internal speaker which is also 16 ohms, resulting in a total load of 8 ohms.

If someone wanted to connect an 8 ohm cabinet to a Tube 60 vypyr they could pull one of the speaker wires off the internal speaker, disconnecting it, and plug the 8 ohm cabinet into the extension jack; the result would be the transform set to 8 ohms with an 8 ohm cabinet load. I have done this extensively and it works well.

Gearmany

Post by Gearmany » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:38 am

Greetings,

I got a peavey Vypyr 60 tube, so i can change the impedance via button. When I connect an external speaker(Randall, 8 Ohms) with the peavey and switch to 8 Ohms, nothing happens. The sound still comes from the internal speaker.

Do i have to make any changes in the configuration ? There is no more further information in the manual.

thanks
Axel

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 am

You apparently have a bad connection at extension speaker jack.....

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge