My new Vypyr VIP 1 hissing

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Chrisbe

My new Vypyr VIP 1 hissing

Post by Chrisbe » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi,
Just bought a Vypyr VIP 1 today. I really love the functionality but I do have a small issue.
The loudspeaker is emitting a constant hiss sound (high frequency) that gives me a headache after a couple of minutes!
I am using the acoustic input. The guitar is an Ovation (1991) that has a small pre-amp with volume/bass/mid/treble).
I don't have another guitar to try right now.
The cable is pretty old, but I have never used it.
The loudspeaker begins to hiss when I plug the cable into the guitar. It does not hiss with the cable connected to the amp but not to the guitar.
Questions:
1) Could the hiss go away if I buy a high quality cable?
2) I read that the guitar should not have a pre-amp. Is that the reason?

Thanks for your help.
Chrisbe

Chrisbe

Re: My new Vypyr VIP 1 hissing

Post by Chrisbe » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:47 pm

Me again.
I just thought about decreasing the volume on my guitar, but this did not change anything.
then I unplugged it and the hissing sound did not stop! Sorry about the misinformation on my original posting.
So, it looks like it is hissing as soon as I plug in the cable alone. Nothing to do with the guitar itself.

Thanks
Chrisbe

thunda

Post by thunda » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:19 pm

is your input gain on the amp set very high? are you using a high gain model? higher gain equals more noise...
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

Rob22315

Post by Rob22315 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:08 am

Drop the treble a little bit on the preamp in the guitar and see if that reduces it. If it does, you may want to replace the preamp with something modern.

I had a mid-eighties Ovation Balladeer acoustic/electric that didn't sound particularly good because the piezo pickup system was poorly engineered. My circa 2004 Peavey Generation EXP with ACM had better plugged-in acoustic tone than that old Ovation so I sold the Ovation on CL.

Newer preamps specifically engineered for piezo pickups sound much better these days.
Peavey Transformer 112 (2) and 212.
Peavey Generation EXP

Chrisbe

Post by Chrisbe » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:35 pm

OK, I did more tests this morning. When plugging only a jack (no cable) in order to switch on the input, I also get this annoying whistle sound.
I downloaded an 'oscilloscope' application on my ipod to find out the sound frequency. It is about 3000 Hz.
I brought back the amplifier to the store and they also could hear the sound. They brought another amplifier (same model) and it made exactly the same noise (with no guitar plugged in).

Too bad because I really liked the VIP! I exchanged it with a Fender that is working great with my Ovation and there is no noise at all.

Thanks for all who responded
Chrisbe

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Sorry to hear that Chrisbe,
Did you know there is a separate Vypyr forum, it's at the top of the amplifier page.