VYPYR VIP 1 Hiss/Fuzz/White Noise Issue

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
PeaveyN8

VYPYR VIP 1 Hiss/Fuzz/White Noise Issue

Post by PeaveyN8 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:02 am

I bought a VYPYR VIP 1 in early 2013 to use as a home recording and practice amp. I have read all instructions, searched forums, etc, but have not been able to resolve this issue. I mostly use the 6505 model for metal and ever since new the amp makes a terrible hissing/fuzzy noise whenever I palm mute or stop playing. The noise lasts for a few seconds and then goes silent. I turned down the gain and I damn near have to have it all the way down for it not to make the noise. Then I thought maybe it was a noise gate issue but I have no way of accessing a noise gate on the amp. Basically, I tried adjusting everything I could on the amp. I use guitars with both active and passive electronics, and I have the guitar volumes turned down (as Peavey recommends). I can almost get the noise to stop if I lower my guitar volume a lot, but then I loose the distortion I want... Any suggestions?

Scooterx2

Re: VYPYR VIP 1 Hiss/Fuzz/White Noise Issue

Post by Scooterx2 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi PeaveyN8 I had a similar issue with my VIP 3 until I updated my firmware to the most recent version
Jesus, Family, Peavey, & Duct tape in that order !:)>

PeaveyN8

Post by PeaveyN8 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 am

Thanks for the reply. I updated from firmware version 1.61 to 1.62 yesterday to no avail. Same noise with the high gain amps. It is almost like the input sensitivity is too high and won't adjust. I've tried both electric guitar banks. Looks like I'll have to take it to an authorized dealer for warranty to figure this out.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:29 am

You said in your first post (The noise lasts for a few seconds and then goes silent). This also happens if your reverb level is to high so you may try turning down the reverb in edit mode.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

PeaveyN8

Post by PeaveyN8 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried it all, turned reverb and delay to zero. I think it may just be a characteristic of the amp. I might post a video to show you what I'm talking about. It really is only a problem during riffs with tight stop/start palm mutes or abrupt stops. Strange.

blackjackatx

Post by blackjackatx » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:49 am

I am having the same issue on my VIP2 with anything high gain. I did turn the delay and reverb off via the sanpera which helped a little.

Any other suggestions?