Vypyr VIP Cabinet Voicings

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
iluvchiclets

Vypyr VIP Cabinet Voicings

Post by iluvchiclets » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi all,

My apologies if this has been answered before.

I noticed a point in the VIP Owners Manual Extras download - it mentions doing a factory reset returns the VIP to it's "default cabinet voicing". I recall this feature on the original Vypyr, but I was not aware I could choose from different cabinet voicings on my VIP2. Or can I?

How does one access this parameter?

wmjones

Re: Vypyr VIP Cabinet Voicings

Post by wmjones » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:42 pm

iluvchiclets wrote:Hi all,
((
My apologies if this has been answered before.

I noticed a point in the VIP Owners Manual Extras download - it mentions doing a factory reset returns the VIP to it's "default cabinet voicing". I recall this feature on the original Vypyr, but I was not aware I could choose from different cabinet voicings on my VIP2. Or can I?

How does one access this parameter?
2. Factory Reset
The Factory Reset function restores VIP flash memory to its initial state. This consists of erasing all saved user presets and replacing them with factory presets, enabling demo mode, restoring the default speaker/cabinet voicing, restoring the default LCD contrast (VIP3 only), disabling Katakana characters for use when naming presets, and “closing” VIP1/VIP2 banks so that banks can contain only presets for designated instrument types. ((( :o This simply means restoring the amp to factory settings.)))
Last edited by wmjones on Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

bgh

Post by bgh » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:24 am

I don't have a VIP (I have one from the first series), but I have followed the VIP threads pretty closely. I don't recall seeing anything about how to access the cabinet voicing in the VIP series.

Perhaps Roger can tell us where to look? (I downloaded the VIP owner's manual, but did not see anything in it concerning cabinet voicing.)
Lefty guitars: Gibson SG standard (1977)•Gibson LP custom (1979)
Amps : Mesa Boogie Mark IV•Mesa Nomad 45•Mesa TA-30•Vypyr tube 60+Sanpera I
Other: Effectrode Blackbird•Kingsley Jester•AMT SS11-a•Weehbo JCM Ltd.•Zoom G5•J.Coloccia Big Cannoli

iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:57 pm

Thanks for the replies.

If the factory reset says it returns the cabinets to their original voicings, that should indicate that the cabs can be changed from their original format.

I wonder if this is an error in this information or whether this parameter can be accessed?

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:10 pm

iluvchiclets wrote:Thanks for the replies.

If the factory reset says it returns the cabinets to their original voicings, that should indicate that the cabs can be changed from their original format.

I wonder if this is an error in this information or whether this parameter can be accessed?
My guess; If you set up a preset with the amp modal you want, the channel (red,orange or green), then the stump, efects,reverb and delay you want and save this to a preset you have a amp voice. A amp reset will put this back to the factory settings.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

iluvchiclets

Post by iluvchiclets » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi again wmjones,

I understand what you are writing - what you are describing is a user preset and, as you mentioned in your post, a factory reset will revert all user presets back to their factory presets. Cabinet voicing is something entirely different. If you have ever owned a 1st generation Vypyr (which I did years ago) you had the option to change the overall timbre of the amplifier with a selection of voicings that users could choose from (dark, bright, etc...)

I have come to the conclusion that Peavey wrote the part about default speaker/cabinet voicing in error in the manual, as no one seems to know how to access it! I don't think this option exists.

Would be nice to have in a future firmware upgrade, though, (hint-hint)...

Thanks for all the replies!

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:41 pm

iluvchiclets wrote:...

I have come to the conclusion that Peavey wrote the part about default speaker/cabinet voicing in error in the manual, as no one seems to know how to access it! I don't think this option exists.

Perhaps Peavey just copied/reused and then modifed the VYPYR manual for the VIP manual? Maybe just missed by the editors?
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:03 pm

I found what you are talking about in vypyr tips and tricks read this first.

Software version 1.58 or later of the first generation Vypyr (((Not VIP!))) will allow cab/eq swaps. To do the swaps, hold down one of the preset buttons when powering up. The choices are:

1. Default voicing
2. Darker voicing on all models
3. Brighter voicing on all models
4. Brighter for the 60W, 120W and 100W. Darker on the Head, 30W and 75W models.
8) HAPPY DAYS: