VIP-2 and voltage issues at gigs

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
davidKOS

VIP-2 and voltage issues at gigs

Post by davidKOS » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi y'all,

I have been using a VIP-2 for most of my gigs the last few months, and every now and then on what I suspect to be AC circuits with less-than-spec voltages, I have a problem with the amp.

Instead of the light show warm-up I get one or two of the knobs to light up and I get one channel, no other setting, no reverb, switching, nothing really works but the volume.

Is this due to the line voltage or is this a unique problem with my amp?

Curious....I've been barely able to get by on those gigs and wonder if I need a voltage regulator/power conditioner?

dalrymple

Re: VIP-2 and voltage issues at gigs

Post by dalrymple » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:53 pm

I own 5 vypyrs, never had a 2, but my older 15 had occasional cold start issues where it would do exactly what you describe. It later went terminal, but ALL vypyrs will occasionally screw up on start up. Hopefully it is only occasional and never worsens.
Dalrymple

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:37 am

davidKOS wrote:Hi y'all,

I have been using a VIP-2 for most of my gigs the last few months, and every now and then on what I suspect to be AC circuits with less-than-spec voltages, I have a problem with the amp.

Instead of the light show warm-up I get one or two of the knobs to light up and I get one channel, no other setting, no reverb, switching, nothing really works but the volume.

Is this due to the line voltage or is this a unique problem with my amp?

Curious....I've been barely able to get by on those gigs and wonder if I need a voltage regulator/power conditioner?
You said on gigs. Do you have multiple equipment on one line? If you do make sure the line you use can handle the wattage you need. This is input watts, not output. also make sure you use heavy extensions. One more thing, I had that happen a couple times when I first got my vip2 but after I upgraded the firmware it has never happened sense.

:) HAPPY DAYS AHEAD;
8) HAPPY DAYS:

teleteamster

Post by teleteamster » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:57 am

I've seen voltage as low as 80v ac coming into a building in the French Quarter on a hot summer afternoon. Still dead nuts 60hz, it raised hell with video sync between VTRs and in the switcher. Would this affect the vyper, I dunno but I suspect it might.

You can always monitor voltage coming into a building (or amp) with a meter as well as some power distro units show input voltage on the front panel. I'm not sure you can do much about it other than bring your own genny.

Edit: I looked at your bio on your website... LOL, I took lessons from Les Wise at Col. Filiberto's back in the stone age as well. I grew up in Carrollton and have lived in Metry since Katrina. It is small world 8) .

davidKOS

Post by davidKOS » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 am

wmjones wrote:
davidKOS wrote:One more thing, I had that happen a couple times when I first got my vip2 but after I upgraded the firmware it has never happened sense.
I have not been able to upgrade the firmware as there is no Mac version as far as I know, only an .exe for Windows.

davidKOS

Post by davidKOS » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:14 am

teleteamster wrote:
Edit: I looked at your bio on your website... LOL, I took lessons from Les Wise at Col. Filiberto's back in the stone age as well. I grew up in Carrollton and have lived in Metry since Katrina. It is small world 8) .
You did too? Cool.

What happened to Hank Mackie?

Rybow

Post by Rybow » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:01 am

davidKOS wrote:
wmjones wrote:
davidKOS wrote:One more thing, I had that happen a couple times when I first got my vip2 but after I upgraded the firmware it has never happened sense.
I have not been able to upgrade the firmware as there is no Mac version as far as I know, only an .exe for Windows.
There is currently no mac version of the updater, but you can use Sysex librarian to perform the firmware update from a Mac. I used it to update my VIP 2 and it worked really well.

http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

teleteamster

Post by teleteamster » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:03 am

davidKOS wrote:
teleteamster wrote:
You did too? Cool.

What happened to Hank Mackie?
What happened to Les? Last I heard (30? years ago) he had moved to L.A. and was focusing on Vocals.

Last time I talked to Hank was maybe 3 years ago. He's was teaching at a guitar store on Metry road "Todd's Music Express"... The last time I saw him playing was with a group "The Hot Club of New Orleans" A Damm fine player and a more humble, nicer individual, I've never met.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/hank-mackie ... _XuAhz0Bcw

davidKOS

Post by davidKOS » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:09 am

Rybow wrote: There is currently no mac version of the updater, but you can use Sysex librarian to perform the firmware update from a Mac. I used it to update my VIP 2 and it worked really well.

http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/
I'm not sure how that works, but I'll try.

davidKOS

Post by davidKOS » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:18 am

teleteamster wrote:
What happened to Les? Last I heard (30? years ago) he had moved to L.A. and was focusing on Vocals.

Last time I talked to Hank was maybe 3 years ago. He's was teaching at a guitar store on Metry road "Todd's Music Express"... The last time I saw him playing was with a group "The Hot Club of New Orleans" A Damm fine player and a more humble, nicer individual, I've never met.
That's great, he was a fine player for sure. I took some classical lessons from him after Les moved.

Last I heard, Les was the bebop teacher at GIT! I am not sure he still is.

http://www.mi.edu/about-mi/history/

Here's his website on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/innerjazz?hl=en&gl=IL