Just got a Used Vypyr 30 from GC...is this hum normal

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
txrsm

Just got a Used Vypyr 30 from GC...is this hum normal

Post by txrsm » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi all!!! I'm new to this forum and new to the Peavey Vypyr series but not new to Peavey in general. I've been playing for a good 18+ years and I've owned a teal stripe Bandit, silver stripe Bandit, and a red stripe bandit and different times in my tenure. All were quite enjoyable during the times I had them. Fast forward a couple of years and kids later, I'm getting back in the game.

With all that said, I picked me up a used Peavey Vypyr 30 from Guitar Center for a great price. I must admit, I actually bought it after watching a couple of videos on You tube that caught my attention. So it arrived this week and I took it out. It's in fantastic shape with 1.5.8 software already on it. I immediately powered it up and to my amazement, it wasn't entirely quiet. What I mean is that with nothing plugged into it and master volume down, there was this light hum. I tried several other outlets just in case and no difference. I immediately got worried. Keep in mind I had the amp on a table and I was at ear level with the speaker but regardless...it was there.

I'm attaching an audio link below for your opinion...is this to be expected with this amp or is mine making a different sound? I only ask because I have 30 days as part of GC's guarantee for satisfaction. Again...not super loud but enough for me to take notice. I do close mic recording and I'm thinking on clean tracks, this may be problematic. To validate, I plugged in a set of headphones into the amp to see if that would bypass the hum and nope...still there.

I appreciate everyone's time and opinion. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBcT0Dp_DzU

txrsm

Re: Just got a Used Vypyr 30 from GC...is this hum normal

Post by txrsm » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Update...so I finally got around to playing it at a louder level. So the him kinda gets lost once you start playing. I play blues classic rock and jazz. I have been hovering primarily in the clean amp sections. This amp is very versatile and I need to keep leaning a bit more about engaging the reverb and delay but right now I think those effects are disabled globally already.

I really like the sounds I've been able to get out of it today and I validated line out/ headphones jack work as well as the aux in. All seems to be working and wow...this amp has balls!!!! The only thing is that pesky idle hum.

Again thanks in advance for any feedback.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:41 pm

With the first gen vypyr a hiss or hum when you turn it on is normal for about 2 or 3 seconds. This is the processor booting up and should clear up. ( kind of like a warm up) I listened to your vid and the hiss does not seem to go away after 2 or 3 sec. That is not right. I also noticed something plugged into your headphone out, was that for recording sound or something else? My advice is return the amp.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

txrsm

Post by txrsm » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:21 pm

wmjones wrote:With the first gen vypyr a hiss or hum when you turn it on is normal for about 2 or 3 seconds. This the processor booting up and should clear up. ( kind of like a warm up) I listened to your vid and the hiss does not seem to go away after 2 or 3 sec. That is not right. I also noticed something plugged into your headphone out, was that for recording sound or something else? My advice is return the amp.
Thank you very much for your response. Yes, that is a set of headphones that were plugged into the amp. I forgot to mention that part. But yes the sound stays constant if nothing is plugged in or if say headphones or aux in are plugged in. The sound remains the same.

I appreciate it...its a shame though..the amp has some good sounds in it.

terrybear

Post by terrybear » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:01 am

Funny that you post that I have a similar thing going on in my tube 60 that I posted up here & on utube here:

http://youtu.be/o2arrzyu3RI

From what some have said its either or 1. caps gone in it somewhere & relatively cheap fix or 2. the transformer in it is gone & needs replacement/warrenty/repair.

If its a used unit with a return policy on it ... return it for a replacement unit or your money back.

Terry
Agile AL-3010 wide
DBZ Imperial FM Honeyburst
Squier 12' Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier 11' Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster modded
Peavey Valve King 112
Vypyr VIP 2 + Sampera 2

txrsm

Post by txrsm » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:22 am

terrybear wrote:Funny that you post that I have a similar thing going on in my tube 60 that I posted up here & on utube here:

http://youtu.be/o2arrzyu3RI

From what some have said its either or 1. caps gone in it somewhere & relatively cheap fix or 2. the transformer in it is gone & needs replacement/warrenty/repair.

If its a used unit with a return policy on it ... return it for a replacement unit or your money back.

Terry

Thank you for your response Terry! I actually saw your videos on YT while I was researching the issue. So I called GC and talked to their amp guys...they said the sound should usually go away after the processor has a moment to boot but if it remains, just bring it back and they will check it out.

So I took it back yesterday and low and behold, the guy heard the same noise. He said it sounded almost like a grounding issue. Regardless though, I was able to return it with no problems and get my money back.

Oh well, I was a Peavey Vypyr member only for a moment. Now the hunt will continue for a nice little recording/practice/small gig amp.

HankSt

Post by HankSt » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:18 pm

The tech was right. 60 hz hum is usually a grounding issue and the cost is mainly in tech time hunt to find it. Glad you got your $ back!
My Gear

Epiphone ES-175
Fender MIM HSS Strat
Epiphone LP Special II Plus
Fender Malibu SCE
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Fender Jazz Bass
Squier SS Jaguar Bass

Vypyr 75
Gallien Krueger MB112
Vypyr VIP 3
Fender Mustang 3