Vypyr VIP 2 vibration

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
darryl_derbyshire

Vypyr VIP 2 vibration

Post by darryl_derbyshire » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:06 am

I picked up a Vypyr VIP2 on friday, this thing has a terrible vibration with bass.I was hoping that it would be usable for playing at my church so I didn't have to carry multiple amps for playing guitar or bass. There is no way this amp could handle that situation without sounding like it's going to fall apart. I have contacted the place where I purchased it, he has a no return policy, but he thinks it's defective and says he will contact Peavey about a replacement. I have 2 questions I guess
1. If the replacement is the same as this one would Peavey exchange it for just a bass amp (as i have another guitar amp)
2. If there is nothing else i can do, does anyone have suggestions of how to isolate and remove the vibration

wmjones

Re: Vypyr VIP 2 vibration

Post by wmjones » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:04 am

To answer question 2, The speaker in the vip 2 is rated at 60 watts, not the best speaker for bass at high volume. If bass for this amp is your main use you could replace it with a Celestion BL12-200X 12" 200W 8ohm, price $89 at AMS. The range of this speaker is 40 hz to 4000 kHz, not the best for guitar.
:) HAPPY DAYS
8) HAPPY DAYS:

darryl_derbyshire

Post by darryl_derbyshire » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:31 pm

I guess I could replace it with a different speaker, but the speaker itself isn't rattling/vibrating, it does sound quite nice, it sounds like the chassis is the culprit. I had one of my kids play some notes while I tried to locate the source of the vibration noise, some was the peavey sign on the front some was the panel on the back and some was the box and steel chassis part of it. I could get the noise to lessen but no matter what i did I can't get it to go away. If it was just for recording(usb) or headphone use it would be perfect, the second I unplug the headphones the amp just vibrates terribly. I tried putting it on pillows, an amp stand (auralex Gramma), nothing helps. The music store I dealt with has a NO return policy, No exchange on anything opened, I didn't realize that until I looked at my hand written bill he gave me, but he said he would contact Peavey about a replacement. Hopefully when that one comes in the issue is gone, if not it sounds like I might be out of luck and have to live with it the way it is, which is not usable at a reasonable volume level. Sorry for the rant, but i'm a little frustrated with the store, which should have a return/exchange policy on its products.

darryl_derbyshire

Post by darryl_derbyshire » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:32 am

Just an update on this situation, after taking the amp back to the store where I purchased it, the vibration was confirmed, and after a couple of days, i received the offer to exchange it with the VIP3 the store had in stock, as it did not have the vibration noise in it. So i exchanged it last night. On high volume the new amp has a tiny vibration (not an issue) on the low G note only. This noise is nowhere near as bad as the first amp I received and at a much higher volume. The new amp sounds great. Thanks for the help guys!

kleetus

Post by kleetus » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:23 am

I have the exact same issue with a new VIP 1. Turning the bass eq knob all the way down and putting the volume at about 2 lessens but not eliminates it. I think these just dont do bass as well as advertised. Shame as that was one main reason I bought it. :evil: