Snapera 1 Suddenly Not Working (first vypyr gen)

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
AvivX

Snapera 1 Suddenly Not Working (first vypyr gen)

Post by AvivX » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Hey guys,
I have a 30w Vypyr combo (first gen) and a Sanpera 1 pedal (first gen, silver).
Suddenly few days ago my Sanpera stopped working.
I just turned my amp on as always and the pedal didn't turn on no matter what I did.
I opened it up and everything seems fine.
I dont know if the pedal is faulty or maybe the amp itself doesnt send power to the pedal.
It could even be just the cable but I dont have any way to check.

Did anyone run across this issue before?
Any idea what could be the problem?

lionheart

Re: Snapera 1 Suddenly Not Working (first vypyr gen)

Post by lionheart » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:55 pm

When you say "opened it up" do you mean the amp or the pedal. I would test the connections on the lead that goes from the main board to the MIDI socket on the amp first. Disconnect the lead from the main board, squirt a little contact cleaner in and reconnect. That may be the culprit, probably loosened by vibration.
If that fails to resolve the problem order a replacement cable and try it - if it doesn't solve the issue then simply return it - it would be worth the return shipping fee to just prove a point.
The only thing really left to try then would be a replacement MIDI connector board assembly - I have a spare unit available - if that doesn't help then it's a possibly dead Sanpera but personally I doubt it's that at fault.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:34 am

Path of least resistance trouble shooting. Spray connectors, reverse cord, that sometimes helps. I have a custom made cable that only works in one direction. Good luck.
Dalrymple

AvivX

Post by AvivX » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:13 pm

lionheart wrote:When you say "opened it up" do you mean the amp or the pedal. I would test the connections on the lead that goes from the main board to the MIDI socket on the amp first. Disconnect the lead from the main board, squirt a little contact cleaner in and reconnect. That may be the culprit, probably loosened by vibration.
If that fails to resolve the problem order a replacement cable and try it - if it doesn't solve the issue then simply return it - it would be worth the return shipping fee to just prove a point.
The only thing really left to try then would be a replacement MIDI connector board assembly - I have a spare unit available - if that doesn't help then it's a possibly dead Sanpera but personally I doubt it's that at fault.
I meant the pedal.
Thanks for the advice, I hope it really is the simple stuff.
Where can I get a replacement cable?
dalrymple wrote:Path of least resistance trouble shooting. Spray connectors, reverse cord, that sometimes helps. I have a custom made cable that only works in one direction. Good luck.
Dalrymple
Haha never heard about "one way cords"!
Unfortunately its not the case.

UPDATE:
I have just noticed that my amp was "sitting" on the midi cable so maybe it ruined it, I'll try to replace it and see if it fixes the problem.

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:32 pm

AvivX wrote:. I have just noticed that my amp was "sitting" on the midi cable so maybe it ruined it, I'll try to replace it and see if it fixes the problem.
If you have access to a multi-meter test pin to pin continuity on the 8 pin MIDI cable. If you don't have one a makeshift device can be improvised out of a torch bulb or LED, a battery and a length or two of single core wire (hi-fi speaker wire or door bell cable will do). Thomann (Germany) sell replacement 8 pin MIDI cables online and Peavey sell same as a spare part.