Vypyr 30 on live TV with Sammy Hagar's son Aaron "Rock Candy

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Johnny Roxx

Vypyr 30 on live TV with Sammy Hagar's son Aaron "Rock Candy

Post by Johnny Roxx » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Was on KTNV Channel 13 Valley View Live! with my band Split 33 last Friday. We were the house band for the hour broadcast. We jammed Rock Candy with Aaron Hagar. I've done hundreds of concerts with my Vypyr 30 and now a live TV broadcast. I would never use any other amplifier! See the interview and jam with Aaron below.

http://youtu.be/xa_vRhzgN6Y

lionheart

Re: Vypyr 30 on live TV with Sammy Hagar's son Aaron "Rock C

Post by lionheart » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Utterly incredible to me that you use a Vypyr 30 live. You get an amazing sound from the same amp that cost me £60.00 used (mint) here in England. Any chance of posting the preset you used - I really like it.
Well done - great performance too. That amp would certainly gives the tube snobs a run for their money in this genre !
I had a Marshall TSL601 combo and a Marshall JMP1 going into a Peavey Classic 60/60 power amp and a Marshall 2x12 cab up 'til quite recently. These days, the Marshalls are gone and all I use for home, jams and the occasional stand in gig slot is the Vypyr 30. As an all rounder with built in FX you can't beat it for the money.
The Marshall TSL cost me £819.00 new - what a waste - it seriously grieves me to think about it !!!!!!!!

Johnny Roxx

Post by Johnny Roxx » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Thanks for the compliments! I use a simple 6505 setting with low pre gain. I hit the strings really hard to get that tone.
My bridge pickup is set really close to the strings as well.

misterdetail

Post by misterdetail » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:27 pm

That was awesome, Johnny! As usual, your playing and tone were exceptional. As a Vypyr user and lover myself, I'm proud to hear the Vypyr being represented the way you do here, as you've done consistently for years. I've watched countless Vypyr videos on YouTube and can honestly say no one represents this line of amps better than you do. Peavey needs to get your videos up on their Vypyr product webpage so others can see what a real user of their amp can do with it on stage and in the studio. Unlike some of these other signature Peavey artists who claim to use Peavey products but actually use other brands in the studio and on stage. I want to see and hear the real deal, like what you do with the Vypyr. Again, great job and keep representing, brother!
Peavey 6505 Piranha

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Romans 6:23

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:01 pm

Good to see you are still rocking the VYPYR 30! As already noted, great technique and tone!!!
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

Johnny Roxx

Post by Johnny Roxx » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:47 pm

Thanks for the love misterdetail and JamesPaul! I spend a lot of time on my tone and art. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Mitch53

Re: Vypyr on live TV with Sammy Hagar's son Aaron "Rock Cand

Post by Mitch53 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:34 am

Johnny Roxx wrote:Thank you misterdetail! I spend a great deal of time on my music, tone and art. I appreciate you taking the time to check out the video and for your amazing compliments. You rock!
Sounds good JR, I was surprised to hear someone using the Vypyr, which model Vypyr was it?

Gone are the days of Marshall stacks... That's ok with me, I would still have good hearing if it wasn't for using a loud half stack over the years...

Keep rockin bro...

Johnny Roxx

Post by Johnny Roxx » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:15 am

Thanks Mitch53! I have two Vypyr 30 watt combos. 6505 model

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:43 am

Best $200 amp ever IMHO! I use both the 30 watt head and my combo all the time. Hard to beat on stage or in the studio. Only thing I like better is my Tube 60!
Dalrymple
Attachments
HPIM1409.JPG
HPIM1409.JPG (117.5 KiB) Viewed 8171 times

Johnny Roxx

Post by Johnny Roxx » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Agreed! I've seen your Vypyr photos over the years and love what you've done with them! I modded a speaker output jack on one of my 30's but haven't used it much.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:23 pm

Last night I was critically listening to the recordings I've worked on over the last 10 years. The Vypyr tracks done in the last few years are by far superior in tone and overall recording quality when compared to trax mic'd with any of the many tube amps I've had over the years, including, Classic 30's & 50's, Fender Supersonic, VK112 and VK100 212(killer rig) combos, Bravo's, and many more.

Recording direct out from a Vypyr is quieter, better isolated, more dynamic and more controllable than mic'd tracks, and also means no headphones involved. To me, this is huge, since I can actually play and record at live volume, hear the true dynamics of my amp direct, and not have to hope what I'm hearing in the tiny headphones speakers translates to the same reality when listened to on the big boy monitors.

The Vypyr has allowed me to better realize my musical wants in the studio and on stage. I am never wishing for tone, not ever. It's in there, and after so many years and gigs, I know how to get it out.

I cant wait for ANY of my newer recordings to be complete. It has been a slow slog, but track by track, I am hearing really good tone and recording quality, and the line in time between the good recordings and the great ones is when I started recording with the Vypyrs.
Dalrymple

Johnny Roxx

Post by Johnny Roxx » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:16 pm

Photo: Opening for Night Ranger. Vypyr 30 onstage behind me.
Attachments
IMG_15963061238705.jpeg
IMG_15963061238705.jpeg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 8151 times

vick1000

Post by vick1000 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:37 pm

The original Vypyr hardware is just plain awesome. I really wish they would have made a rack mount preamp version. I may end up getting a 30 or 75w and mod it into one, when I can find the time. it would be so cool to run one into various power amps, like a good old Marhsall 9100 or Mesa Simulclass. That's why I love the Vypyr Tube 120 head, it just lacks the tube optinos and tweak ability of rack power units.

twang_banger

Post by twang_banger » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:48 pm

Sounds great Johnny Roxx. Wish I could make mine sound like that! :wink:

t_b :D
Last edited by twang_banger on Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Roxx

Post by Johnny Roxx » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Thanks twang banger! A big part of my tone is having the pre gain low and digging into the strings ultra hard. Pickups close to the strings as well! Thanks again!