Vypyr Tube 60 start up issue

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Sparkopath

Vypyr Tube 60 start up issue

Post by Sparkopath » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:04 pm

So my Tube 60 sounds great... once I get it going. It has an issue with starting up. I turn on the power switch and a few lights will light up and then go dark, leaving only 1 or 2 lights on. And which ones is random. I switch it off then back on and it will act like it is going to work, but then goes back to one or two lights on. Again random. After about 10 minutes of switching it on and off, trying to get it to "catch", it finally does and works fine, but this doesn't seem right to me. Anyone have any ideas or should I take it in to a Peavey repair center (an hour and a half away, ugh!) and let them have a look? It isn't under warranty because I got it second hand.

Classic30inCincy

Re: Vypyr Tube 60 start up issue

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Yeup....

Go to Peavey Tech !

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

vick1000

Post by vick1000 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Make sure there is nothing plugged into the input jack. With the amp off, press and hold the "1" and "2" preset buttons, then power the amp on, keep holding them and wait a few seconds for the lights to come on. Power down and back up, still without anything plugged into the input jack. This should reset the DSP's flash memory to factory defaults, and may solve your issue, you will lose yur presets though.

bgh

Post by bgh » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:29 pm

Mine has some of the same startup issues (along with some other issues - like getting my Sanpera to hook up with the amp). Like your amp, mine is out of warranty and has gotten to the point where it is not dependable enough to use outside of my home. So now it is relegated only for use when I teach. I don't trust it enough for much else. And, to be honest, I am almost at the point where I am ready to pack it in and sell it (and I was one of its biggest supporters at one time).

Hope you can find out what is wrong with yours without having to invest too much in it.
Lefty guitars: Gibson SG standard (1977)•Gibson LP custom (1979)
Amps : Mesa Boogie Mark IV•Mesa Nomad 45•Mesa TA-30•Vypyr tube 60+Sanpera I
Other: Effectrode Blackbird•Kingsley Jester•AMT SS11-a•Weehbo JCM Ltd.•Zoom G5•J.Coloccia Big Cannoli

terrybear

Post by terrybear » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:57 pm

Yes & with the issue's mine has come into .... I almost suspect one is lucky to get 5 years out of one. Sad to say ... cause they are the best out of the 2 gen's so far ... And of course ye old Vypyr Pro being MIA in retail with eta's as possibly as late as the end of the year .. doesn't give me much confidence in buying a vypyr pro even though it sounds like even tubeless it will be the crème de la crème of the series for sure.

I still wouldn't touch a fender modeling amp & any line6 stuff (still waiting for the Yamaha stuff to kick into there stuff) ...... but Blackstar, Randall & a handful of others are REALY stepping into the place where peavey's missing out by no vypyr pro on the market to dominate. :shock: :?
Agile AL-3010 wide
DBZ Imperial FM Honeyburst
Squier 12' Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier 11' Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster modded
Peavey Valve King 112
Vypyr VIP 2 + Sampera 2

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:58 am

I wonder about the life expectancy of my Tube Vypyr. I have never had any issues with this one, but I have a 15 that is messed up. My experience, and that of most forum members, is that if you have a bad Vypyr, nobody can really fix it. When they go bad, I think that is it. They dont heal, and nobody seems to be able to fix one that's gone wrong. I'm hoping for about 10 years! Mine's is already 6, and has many hours on it. Now I mostly use my 30 ss model, trying to spare the tube 60 for gig use. Nothing else I have ever owned can touch it, and the tones it produces have given me a tone identity that would be hard to reproduce with any other amps.
Long may they wave! Go Vypro, wherever the hell you may be!
Dalrymple

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:08 am

Following on from Dalrymple's fear of a Vypyr dying, I have bought up two used Vypyr 15s and added the resistor and midi sockets to their main boards to keep as spares for my Vypyr 30 in case it ever goes down. The mod is easy if you've got good eyes and a steady hand !
Vypyr 15s can be picked up for peanuts over here and Peavey charges more for a replacement main board (£50.00) which is often itself a salvaged item - not new.