Original Vyper 30. Skinny on the Noise Gate issue??

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Timsky

Original Vyper 30. Skinny on the Noise Gate issue??

Post by Timsky » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:40 am

I use the tube screamer stompbox. Sounds good, but it gates and chokes note ends. Can this be fixed? I read that it has been fixed in later models. But is there a way to tweak it in an original VP -30? Thanks.

jdalf

Re: Original Vyper 30. Skinny on the Noise Gate issue??

Post by jdalf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:11 am

Hello, the gate is not adjustable on the VIP, it will be on the VIP pro when it comes out. Still, I have both amps, and the gate is much, much improved on the VIP.

I like both amps a lot, both are keepers.
My head's in Mississippi

Peavey's: Generation Standard,Limited EXP ST, Falcon Custom,Vypyr 30, VIP 40

vick1000

Re: Original Vyper 30. Skinny on the Noise Gate issue??

Post by vick1000 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:57 am

You post gain setting has a lot to do with how the gate clamps. Turn it up higher if it's clamping too quick. Also lower the level setting on the Screamer settings to about 1 o'clock and back it down from there until you find a good spot, then add more Screamer gain if you need more crunch.

I have got the gate working pretty great on my Tube 120 by doing this, and also using the Sqeeze stomp box with level max and threshold set to zero. Sort of like a clean boost. The key to either attempt, is the post gain though, finding that sweet spot, then use master volume for desired decible levels.