vypyr vip - 3 malfunctioning

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Noja

vypyr vip - 3 malfunctioning

Post by Noja » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:52 am

im having trouble with my vip-3. most of my knobs are malfunctioning except the master volume and power sponge.

when i go to adjust anything else its buggy and unresponsive or just get locked wherever it gets stuck.

im also noticing my demo mode is not working.

is this a voltage issue? am i screwed? i just updated to v1.62 and still no luck :(

also, i wonder if it would be worth it to do a factory reset.

i dont know if that would help or not and i kind of dont want to do it because ill loose the settings i have.

i will try to post a youtube video, altho i have no idea how.
Last edited by Noja on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noja

Re: vypyr vip - 3 malfunctioning

Post by Noja » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:00 pm

Agileman

Post by Agileman » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Might be the control board, it has some logic devices on it for the light show and sending the right software codes to the dsp board. You have a 3 year warranty with no registration, another 2 years if you register. Take it back to where you purchsed it or take it to a peavey service center for warranty repair.

Noja

Post by Noja » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:46 pm

i originally purchased this in 04/2013. i didnt register for the warranty at the time of purchase. i did however just complete the online warranty registration a few minutes ago.

with that said, and what your saying, is that this is still covered and will be for a while?

im not sure what caused this malfunction, just one i turned it on and it was screwy.

thank you so much for responding!

Skyclad

Post by Skyclad » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:25 am

This is the exact same problem im getting with my VIP3 as well! If I turn the knobs up (to the right), the level goes up, however, if I turn the knobs down (to the left), the levels will go up anyways and it usually takes at least 10 - 15 mins of continuous, careful turning to get the levels to go down just a few dots. I did call Peavey customer service about this, and they said that their tech has heard of this issue and suggested I buy their spray called Gunk Off (I bought the amp used, so no warranty) to spray the knobs.

I didn't buy the spray, but I figured I would try cleaning them with air in a can spray. Spraying on the dials didn't work, so I tried unscrewing the head from the amp to pull it out, but couldn't get it to budge and I didn't want to force it and chance breaking anything internally. So sadly, im unsure of what to do about this. And when I do use the VIP3, I try not to turn the knobs at all - and if I do, I do so extremely carefully so the levels dont shoot all the way up.

If the Peavey team, or anyone else here have any advice or know what to do to correct this issue, I would be more than grateful.

Skyclad

Post by Skyclad » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:23 pm

I have this exact problem happening with my VIP 3. Even if I turn the knobs down (to the left) the levels still go up (to the right), and it usually takes me 10-15 mins of turning the knobs to the left very carefully to have a chance of getting the levels to go down.

I called Peavey tech about this and they said that their repair guy is familiar with this. I bought my amp, and thus don't have a warranty, so they (Peavey) offered me to buy their spray for this issue called Gunk-Off but I passed on it. A little later on after that, I decided to try to take the head off and see if cleaning it out with canned air would help at all. Unfortunately, I could not get the head off at all, and I didnt want to chance pushing on it too hard to force it to pop off because I was afraid I might damage a part of the amp or any electronics inside the head.

If anyone has any advice on how to fix this issue and save my amp from becoming a $300 paper weight, I would be extremely grateful.

kevinkjs

Post by kevinkjs » Thu May 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Please read my post as of May 07 2015 "attn vip-3 problem solved" I hope this helps you.

Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:08 pm

I have had 2 Vypyr vip 3, a Vypyr vip 1 and Vypyr 30. A Vip 3 perfect, the other with a potenziomecon tro to clean, Vip 1 almost all to clean and 30 someone. In any case I always solved with electronic contact spray.