Vypyr VIP3 no sound

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
RedSan

Vypyr VIP3 no sound

Post by RedSan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:26 am

My VIP 3 & Sanpera II is about a year old, and I have been using it mostly with headphones, as I live in an apartment building, and its never been gigged. Whilst practicing guitar on it, I suddenly lost sound from it, and even with the headphones unplugged, I now get no sound from the amp at all. I searched the forums and followed the suggestions for updating the software using vypyrUpdater2_61 which I downloaded, but this update failed, and the amp remains without sound. Interestingly I play jam tracks via the aux inputs, which I can hear on my headphones (connected to the VIP 3), but not on its speakers. Please can anyone help with what I should do to restore sound from the speakers? All of the other lights and buttons appear to be fine.
Thanks

lionheart

Re: Vypyr VIP3 no sound

Post by lionheart » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:21 pm

Looks like you have the world famous "defective headphone socket syndrome" sadly quite common with all Vypyr models. Phones get sound, speaker doesn't even when phones are removed. I believe that the make / break connections inside the socket have become strained or lack the necessary spring / tempering to return to the closed position on removing headphones that have been left connected for a prolonged period of time.
Were your phones left connected permanently and did the phones plug ever receive a hard physical blow whilst connected to the amp ? That is most probably the cause of your issue.
As or fixing it - a new phones socket is a possibility, maybe try cleaning the phones socket with contact cleaner, try to re-position the socket's internal contacts to make / break effectively by bending them into correct position if you can get at them. I'm not suggesting you do any of this if you don't feel competent at it - consult a pro.
Warranty is always the best option if you signed up for the extended 5 yr deal.
Best of luck in resolving the matter.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:48 pm

This was taken from the topic (Can a bad Vypyr be put back on the right road?)

Picked up a super cheap Vypyr 15 at a pawn shop a couple of years ago. I figured I'd take a chance with it and maybe build a stand-alone Vypyr modeler just using the modeling circuitry.
This one cut in and out, at times sounding fine, other times cracking and sometimes having no sound other than the power amp's baseline hiss.
I noticed that the input jack was a bit loose and pulled the chassis to look for problems like a bad jack.
I found that the loose jack had caused the input ribbon cable to be pulled tight. The jack was fine. I repositioned the jack for maximum slack, tightened it down and shot a little hot glue on the ribbon cable where it attached to the board.

The amp worked fine from then on. Posted by (Jspencer).

Hope this helps. :) HAPPY DAYS:
--- I agree with lionheart use the warranty ---
8) HAPPY DAYS:

RedSan

Post by RedSan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:15 am

Dear Lionheart & wmjones
I cannot tell without opening the rear panel whether it is a problem with the phones connection, but will go the warranty route. The phones are plugged in often when in use, and not received any blow or been knocked around. I am now based in Abu Dhabi/Dubai, so will be looking for a local agent here.
Thank you for your comments.
best regards
RedSan

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:27 am

RedSan wrote:Dear Lionheart & wmjones
I cannot tell without opening the rear panel whether it is a problem with the phones connection, but will go the warranty route. The phones are plugged in often when in use, and not received any blow or been knocked around. I am now based in Abu Dhabi/Dubai, so will be looking for a local agent here.
Thank you for your comments.
best regards
RedSan
If you get sound through your phones but not through the speaker when they are removed then the phones socket is definitely the cause of the problem.
Warranty will cover this issue if still valid.