Vypyr 100 clean channel - unwanted distortion

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Henti

Vypyr 100 clean channel - unwanted distortion

Post by Henti » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:04 am

Hi there guys,

I'm having difficulties when I want to use my Vypyr 100 on clean green channel, it distorts himself, when I try to play it as loud as I play the red channel: in this case, the pre-gain button functions like a volume button: if I turn it up, it is loud enough to play it comfortable, but distorts, what I don't want. If I turn it completely down, the distortion diassapears, but it will be almost silent... So then I have tor turn the master volume up to half way, in order to have it as loud as I want it. (the post gain is turned up to the maximum always).

But this creates another problem: when I play my Vypyr like this, and I would like to switch to the red channel, it is loud as hell, the volume gap between the two channel is HUUUUGE.

Does anybody have this kind of problem, or is something technically wrong with my amp? OR am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, Folks

Classic30inCincy

Re: Vypyr 100 clean channel - unwanted distortion

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:33 am

Recommend Changing The 12AX7 Phase Inverter Tube

Use Sovtek 12AX7LPS or JJ ECC803S.....Both Are Large Plate Tubes

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:24 am

Try using the Squeeze ( Comp ) effect or the X-Boost to up your clean channel levels. I have found the same issues as you describe with my Vypyr 30 and this workaround helps me even out the levels between red and green channel selections without added distortion / overdrive.
Which of the two stompbox effects you choose is up to you but I would suggest setting the controls on both to 12:00 as a start point for tweaking.
The X-Boost adds a lot of treble and thins the sound out when used with a clean amp selection, Squeeze softens the highs (and attack) a little and adds sustain.

Henti

Post by Henti » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:06 pm

@Classic30inCincy

Thanks for your tip, but the Vypyr 100W is a solid state amp, does not have any tubes.

@lionheart:

Thanks for you too, I will try them!

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Doooooh.... :!: :roll: :!:

Thinking of the 120..... 8) :wink:

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

vick1000

Post by vick1000 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Keep your pre and post gain as low as possible, use the master for volume control. Also use a fender model for you cleans if you want the least amount of break up. If you are playing through low wattage speakers, like Greenbacks, the speaker will break up as well.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:29 pm

The pre-gain, post-gain and master volume are all volume controls, but work in different stages of the amp
The pre-gain sets the input gain after the stumps, but before the preamp and set high will distort even the clean channels (green) on all amp models.
The post-gain controls the volume of each amp model and preset separately from the other presets or amp models and should not cause distortion. Using post-gain each preset can be saved with it's own startup volume.
The master volume controls the overall amp volume.
There are many things that can cause the noise (distortion) you have and can range from bad component parts to internal cable connections and connectors even speakers to faulty instrument cables and electrical line interference.
:) HAPPY DAYS:
8) HAPPY DAYS: