Vypyr VIP 3 speaker wiring

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
kamikaze3557

Vypyr VIP 3 speaker wiring

Post by kamikaze3557 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:13 pm

Could an owner of the VIP III tell me what color wire goes to what connector + -.
Mine was a scratch n dent and just want to be sure they are on the correct post....

Thanks
Mike Cossey

JamesPaul

Re: Vypyr VIP 3 speaker wiring

Post by JamesPaul » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Usually it doesn't matter for a single speaker. The typical concern is out of phase issues between multiple speakers, or internal speaker(s) and external cabinet, etc.

Yellow is positive and blue is negative on Peavey speaker wires.

My VIP 3 was new in the box. Looking in the back, with the speaker tabs at 12:00 o'clock, mine has yellow on the left tab and blue on the right tab. My eyes aren't able to make out a distinct + or - near either tab, but I don't have the back off. Do you have the back off and if so can you see + or - markings near the tabs?
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

kamikaze3557

Post by kamikaze3557 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:41 pm

My speaker looks to be installed like yours and + is on the left terminal..so mine were switched compared to yours, blue on the left, I have no idea if it matters...thanks for the info.....much appreciated !

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:37 pm

It does not matter, for one speaker.

When current flows through a speaker + to -, the speaker cone moves one direction, let's assume forward. When current flows through a speaker - to +, the speaker cone moves the opposite direction, backward.

If you have more than one speaker, you usually want the cones moving forward at the same time, and moving backward at the same. Simplifying some things, this adds the sound from both speakers together. So if you wire all the +'s together, it is all good.

Consider the other case, where you have the + and - of two speakers wired together. When one speaker cone is moving forward, the other speaker cone is moving backward. Now the sound from each speaker is trying to cancel out the sound from the other. This is commonly referred to as out of phase. It tends to have a hollow sound, and most consider it less musical.

I'm oversimplifying here, as all it depends on the particular frequency, distance between the speakers, and a other variables. But in general if you have more than one speaker, you want to ensure that the current is flowing to the + on all speakers at the same time.

Long story short, just you and one VIP 3, don't worry about it. If you were to mod your VIP 3 to use and external cabinet, or if you split your guitar signal and run into two VIP 3's, you probably want to ensure the speakers are wired the same.
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

kamikaze3557

Post by kamikaze3557 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:02 am

Thanks for the info.....very understandable and sense I will be adding a speaker, 2 new 16 ohm 100 watt to replace the 1 8 ohm 100 watt . info will come in handy..

Mike

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:44 am

Wiring those two 16 ohm speakers in parallel with the +'s tied together and the -'s tied together would be spot on. Still an 8 ohm load and both speakers in phase.

This makes me realize my post above may be "parallel" centric. :oops:

If your favorite speaker wasn't available in a 16 ohm version but was available in a 4 ohm version, or if you were wiring up four 8 ohm speakers, you have to consider wiring in series.

The key is still the current flowing through each speaker in the same direction, which keeps the cones moving the same direction.

So two of your favorite 4 ohm speakers wired in series would still give you an 8 ohm load. To keep the current flowing the same you would connect the amp's + to the + on the first speaker, the - on the first speaker to the + on the second speaker, and the - on the second speaker to the amp's - .

Sorry I didn't have this in my earlier post.
James Paul's Peaveys

kamikaze3557

Post by kamikaze3557 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:25 pm

That's another good bit of info to have...I do already have 2 16 ohm 100 watt speakers on hand....but I see now that there were even more possibilities available.......good to know for future reference.!
Thanks,
Mike