Sanpera Cable

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Eddie Venom

Sanpera Cable

Post by Eddie Venom » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Hello. I bought a Sanpera 1 used from Guitar Center website, but it didn't come with a cable. I've been looking to buy it, but it's been hard to find an 8 pin midi for some reason. The Peavey site has midi cables, but most are 5 pin. They do have this one on there:

http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/it ... .MIDICable

But I can't tell if it's an 8 pin, and can't find it anywhere in the description. Any ideas on if this is the right one, or somewhere where I can find one, preferrably 25 foot?

wmjones

Re: Sanpera Cable

Post by wmjones » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:27 am

Call peavey customer service or try amazon or ebay. You can also google 8 pin midi cable. I got two sanpera's, one I got new shipped with cable, one I got used came without cable. So where do the used cables go?
8) HAPPY DAYS:

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:43 am

I had the same prolem of a used Sanpera 1 with no cable. On seeing the high cost of replacement genuine Sanpera MIDI cables I decided to order two 8 pin DIN plugs and 20 feet of 8 core screened cable from an eBay seller and soldered my own up - dirt cheap and just as good !

Rob22315

Post by Rob22315 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:18 am

lionheart wrote:I had the same prolem of a used Sanpera 1 with no cable. On seeing the high cost of replacement genuine Sanpera MIDI cables I decided to order two 8 pin DIN plugs and 20 feet of 8 core screened cable from an eBay seller and soldered my own up - dirt cheap and just as good !
Thanks for the tip, I just ordered these materials. I have a couple of Transformer 112s and the cables for the footswitches are looking a bit ratty and longer than I need. Two things about the cables for these footswitches - the plastic shields on the plugs are shorter than stock also, the shield is only grounded on one end (Yes, I double-checked this on both of the factory cables I have). The aftermarket ones have the shields grounded on both ends and are creating wicked ground loop hum so I'm looking to make them myself.
Peavey Transformer 112 (2) and 212.
Peavey Generation EXP

Eddie Venom

Post by Eddie Venom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:16 pm

Yeah, I've looked on Amazon and Ebay and I haven't been able to find anything other than the parts. Unfortunately, I'm not the soldering type. But I found an old post on here with a site that has a 25 footer. I was just hoping I could find one a little cheaper, and was surprised to not find it available direct from Peavey.

Eddie Venom

Post by Eddie Venom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:55 pm

I ended up just calling Peavey's parts department and ordered one directly from there. A little more expensive than I feel it should have been, but I'm over all the hassle of trying to find one, so at least I'm done looking. 25 footer direct from Peavey for $37.

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:31 pm

Rob22315

Post by Rob22315 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:19 pm

I tried that one - it doesn't work with the Transformer footswitch.
Peavey Generation EXP

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:56 pm

Rob22315 wrote:
I tried that one - it doesn't work with the Transformer footswitch.
What are you using your sanpera with with? It was made to hook directly to the amp with a 8 pin cable. I know that this cable works because I use one. What is your transformer footswitch? Any kind of switch used between in the line must have a way to supply the voltage to the pedal. I believe the power source uses pin 6 and 8 (maybe it's 7 and 8 ) but not 6 and 7.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

Rob22315

Post by Rob22315 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:51 pm

It's a weird 8 pin cable on the Transformer and the matching footswitch (not a Sanpera). The pin configuration is the same but the jack is deeper than a normal DIN 8 pin jack so I had to cut way some of the plastic from around the plug to make it go in far enough to make contact with the pins in the jack.

The bigger problem was a wicked ground loop hum I got with these cables - on two different Transformers with two different footswitches comparing with the factory cables. The difference is that the factory cable is only connected to the shield at one end, not both. That's why I'm going to make a custom cable - so it matches the factory cable in the grounding.

I haven't tried tearing into the footswitches to see if there's something in the wiring of the footswitch that might fix it.
Peavey Generation EXP

George888

Post by George888 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:34 am

lionheart wrote:I had the same proplem of a used Sanpera 1 with no cable. On seeing the high cost of replacement genuine Sanpera MIDI cables I decided to order two 8 pin DIN plugs and 20 feet of 8 core screened cable from an eBay seller and soldered my own up - dirt cheap and just as good !
Hi
I've run into the same problem with the Sanpera II. I ordered a used one from a music store and didn't get a cable.
May I ask for the wiring shema? Are all wires of the cable connected 1:1 or is there any crossing?
Best regards
George

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:57 am

The 8 core screened cable I got had 8 differently coloured wires which are soldered like for like to all 8 pins of each DIN plug. Not all pins are used for the Sanpera but it makes life easier for you just to solder all 8 the same colours at each end of the cable - e.g. Red to Pin 1, Green to Pin 2 clockwise. Solder the outer earth screen to one plug only - Peavey do this.
It is a little fiddly but not too brain taxing even for a beginner to do.
Pre tin all DIN plug internal contacts and individual bared wire ends to ensure easy hassle free soldering.
Make sure you thread the cable through the plastic outer plug covers first (check for the correct way round) before you begin soldering the cable to the plugs themselves !!!!!
I've been soldering guitar leads for 35 yrs and still forget to do this believe it or not !
Remember the six P's (PPPPPP - Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance !!!!)

frac82

Post by frac82 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:05 am

am I OT if I ask how to adapt, if possible, the Sanpera cable from 8 din to 5 din to connect and phantom-power a properly modded FCB1010?

TimVicious

Post by TimVicious » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi...

I know I'm late, but I found a cheap cable. The reviews said specifically that it fits the Sanpera Pedal.

I made an account just to share this with you guys haha!

http://www.amazon.com/DIN-Large-Size-Bl ... YIBYZZKERK

Rob22315

Post by Rob22315 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:03 pm

Apologies for attempting to derail this thread with off-topic posts but to close out my posts here - I disassembled the 8 pin cable for my Transformer. Turns out the plug shells are not grounded or connected to the cable in any way. There's no shielding in the cable, there is a bare grounding conductor that goes to the center pin in each plug that's considered a ground but it's not a shield and it's not connected to the plug shells. On my after-market cables, the shells are connected to each other so that (I think) explains why I created a ground loop with them.

I'll do the rest of my postings on the Transformer cable in another thread.
Peavey Generation EXP