Upgrade CPU board for Vypyr tube series?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
playadeguitar

Upgrade CPU board for Vypyr tube series?

Post by playadeguitar » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:57 pm

Hello all!

I saw a listing on EBay not too long ago for a Vypyr Tube 60 with an "upgraded" CPU board that is less "buggier" than the original. Is this legit? If so, has anyone out there purchased and installed one and noticed any significant difference?

Thanks!

wmjones

Re: Upgrade CPU board for Vypyr tube series?

Post by wmjones » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:41 pm

I seen that same listing. The board was from peavey so call customer and technical support.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

playadeguitar

Post by playadeguitar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:48 pm

I was thinking about doing that, but I wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with it.

Thanks!

vick1000

Post by vick1000 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:19 am

I don't think there were ever different boards on any of the original Vypyr series, probably just newer firmware.

playadeguitar

Post by playadeguitar » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:33 pm

Just as a follow-up, I did wind up calling Peavey's customer service line that directed me to the parts department. The person I spoke to had no clue what I was talking about.

I guess there is no such creature...

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:02 pm

I'm fairly certain forum member j_fury68 posted that he found two distinctly different layouts of the original Vypyr DSP board, one of which had a shrouded chip. Certain other components were located differently in the two versions but functionality remained the same.
Maybe the man himself will confirm this (or not !).

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:54 pm

lionheart wrote:I'm fairly certain forum member j_fury68 posted that he found two distinctly different layouts of the original Vypyr DSP board, one of which had a shrouded chip. Certain other components were located differently in the two versions but functionality remained the same.
Maybe the man himself will confirm this (or not !).
Lionheart is correct. There do exist two variations. It would be hard to prove which has less "bug" problems. They do the same thing. Unless this board on ebay is really cheap I wouldn't fool with it. You can try different firmware versions to see what works with you. Last I checked, a new board from peavey was about 120 bucks. Its always good to have a spare!
Ahh :idea: , I just found that listing under the completed section and see that it was the whole amp for sale. I suppose if a person found that a particular firmware version performed better with their amp then it would be a good point to advertise it if you where trying to sell.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.