Sanpera Wah - How is it supposed to work

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Waldquelle

Sanpera Wah - How is it supposed to work

Post by Waldquelle » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:40 am

Hi, I bought a "defective" Vypyr 75 with Sanpera 1 for 10€ yesterday. The defect was simply a blown fuse :D Amp works fine now. But the sanpera makes some problems. Sometimes the buttons just dont work, sometimes they do. But the expresion pedal is doing nothing at all. I opened it and as far as I can see there is an LED and a phototransistor which do the expresion thing. First of all the LED does not light at all. Should it ? Or is it some sort of UV-Device ? :mrgreen: Dont know. And - shouldnt there be some kind of shutter between the LED and the transistor ? There is only this white paddle where the screw for the switch is on. But that never comes between the two key components :?: :?: Help ? Anyone ?

j_fury68

Re: Sanpera Wah - How is it supposed to work

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:36 am

I had an opertunity to open up a sanpera 1 for a friend who was having problems with the expression pedal. I have also been insided of one that works properly. To the best of my recolection, the LED looking component dosn't put out any visible light. I assumed it was infrared. I believe there is a part that emits and a part that recieves this light. I believe it just bounces light off the white paddle and senses light intensity. I wasn't able to get his going again. What bothers me about your report is the intermittant button problem. This would have me to suspect the cable, cable ends, and sockets of both the amp and the sanpera one. I would first try a different cable known to work on another sampera then delve into inspecting the sockets of your amp and sanpera. Hope this helps.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

homerlex

Post by homerlex » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:53 am

FYI - if it is infrared you should be able to "see" it using a camera (most likely your cell phone camera will work): http://www.instructables.com/id/A-FREE- ... -controls/

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:20 pm

homerlex wrote:FYI - if it is infrared you should be able to "see" it using a camera (most likely your cell phone camera will work): http://www.instructables.com/id/A-FREE- ... -controls/
Thanks for tip! Totally works on my phone. Tried it with my TV remote. Now I have to open up my sanpera and see if it works in that application. Just opened up the sanpera and the camera trick works here too, so possibly you can trouble shoot to the point of verifying that the emitter works or at least outputs. Make sure your flash is covered or off if shooting video.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Waldquelle wrote:And - shouldnt there be some kind of shutter between the LED and the transistor ? There is only this white paddle where the screw for the switch is on. But that never comes between the two key components :?: :?: Help ? Anyone ?
When the pedal is fully depressed that screw should come in contact with that switch and activate the switch with a hard press. The pedal works with distance from the white plate to the diode. If all that is working you may need to calibrate the pedal.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:27 am

wmjones wrote:
Waldquelle wrote:And - shouldnt there be some kind of shutter between the LED and the transistor ? There is only this white paddle where the screw for the switch is on. But that never comes between the two key components :?: :?: Help ? Anyone ?
When the pedal is fully depressed that screw should come in contact with that switch and activate the switch with a hard press. The pedal works with distance from the white plate to the diode. If all that is working you may need to calibrate the pedal.
Off the top of your head, do you know how one goes about a sanpera calibration and is there a difference between sanpera 1 and 2 for calibration?

Waldquelle

Post by Waldquelle » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:16 am

Hi, thanks for the tip with the camera. I seems that my IR LED isnt working. It does not light on a camera display but there are 1,2 V across the lugs. So I am pretty sure its broken. I will change it and see if that helps. The next problem I have is that sometimes neither of the two Main or Aux LED is shining. In this case none of the functions of the pedal works. But the cable seems OK because the lights correspond to the channel I choose on the AMP. Is there a possibility to update or reset the Sanpera via the USB Input from the Amp ?

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:33 pm

?[/quote]Off the top of your head, do you know how one goes about a sanpera calibration and is there a difference between sanpera 1 and 2 for calibration?[/quote]

You can download the manual at this site.
http://www.manualslib.com/products/Peav ... 01205.html
8) HAPPY DAYS:

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:50 am

wmjones wrote:?
Off the top of your head, do you know how one goes about a sanpera calibration and is there a difference between sanpera 1 and 2 for calibration?[/quote]

You can download the manual at this site.
http://www.manualslib.com/products/Peav ... 01205.html[/quote]
Thanks wmjones for the good info. At one time I had the manual but forgot that there was calibration stuff in there. So I looked up the guy that had the defective sanpera 1 that I had looked at before. He still had it and just gave it to me. I did the camera thing to check for IR light and it looked good, just like my good sanpera. So tried to calibrate and calibration didn't take. Knowing that the definition of insanity doesn't apply to electronics ( trying the same thing over and over expecting different results) my third time calibrating finally worked! So what I have learned:try and try again and third time is a charm.