Vypyr vs Blackstar ID TVP

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
j_fury68

Vypyr vs Blackstar ID TVP

Post by j_fury68 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Recently found some online blurbs about how amazing the Blackstar ID series amps are. I like the consept of modeling tubes instead of just famous amps. In my search I also seen that Blackstar is using a 32 bit floating point sharc processor, same as Peavey so it sounds promising. It has been said that these amps totally blow all other modelers away. So had to go to local guitar shop to check it out. Played active and passive through a 15 watt and a 30. Keep in mind I kept volume at bed room levels which is how i usually play. I gotta tell you I was NOT blown away. I'd pick my vypyrs any day over those. Found the cleans are good, crunch is good, super crunch is OK and OD1 and OD2 are brittle. The more you crank the gain the worse it gets. Adding reverb seems to help mask it. At $220 for the 15 and $350 for the 30 I was hoping for something more. It may respond like a tube amp, but I don't think it sounds as good as first gen vypyrs, especially higher gain. Oh, and no effects loop either, until you upgrade to 60 watts.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

terrybear

Re: Vypyr vs Blackstar ID TVP

Post by terrybear » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:52 pm

Yeah I was looking at 1 of those after my tube 60 died ... guy I follow on utube said there garbage. I have been spying the 5 watt HT series stuff as it has tube's in it thought it has a ss buffer section & has good reviews.

Im honestly kinda eyeing-picking up a VIP2 for S & G's + I still got my sampera II controller so it + the variable instrument thing would also be a lil bonus.
j_fury68 wrote:Recently found some online blurbs about how amazing the Blackstar ID series amps are. I like the consept of modeling tubes instead of just famous amps. In my search I also seen that Blackstar is using a 32 bit floating point sharc processor, same as Peavey so it sounds promising. It has been said that these amps totally blow all other modelers away. So had to go to local guitar shop to check it out. Played active and passive through a 15 watt and a 30. Keep in mind I kept volume at bed room levels which is how i usually play. I gotta tell you I was NOT blown away. I'd pick my vypyrs any day over those. Found the cleans are good, crunch is good, super crunch is OK and OD1 and OD2 are brittle. The more you crank the gain the worse it gets. Adding reverb seems to help mask it. At $220 for the 15 and $350 for the 30 I was hoping for something more. It may respond like a tube amp, but I don't think it sounds as good as first gen vypyrs, especially higher gain. Oh, and no effects loop either, until you upgrade to 60 watts.
Agile AL-3010 wide
DBZ Imperial FM Honeyburst
Squier 12' Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier 11' Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster modded
Peavey Valve King 112
Vypyr VIP 2 + Sampera 2