Well I took the plunge & bought today ... a VIP

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
terrybear

Well I took the plunge & bought today ... a VIP

Post by terrybear » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:23 am

A Vypyr VIP 2 from la music out of Toronto. Its probly going out to me today & should get it by middle next week hopefully.

With the Canadian to us dollar rate how insanely how it is + Vypyr Pro being a $800-1000 cost for amp + floor pedal Im going to chance/check out the VIP 2. I already have a Sampera II controller sitting collecting dust that I was using on my vypyr tube 60 + I need a amp with a headphone out as my current valve king gen 1 doesn't & I don't know where i'll be living in the future.

So again wish me luck it arrives without issue & also if I need to flash/update it I can do so from a win 7 64-bit enviorment it works!!

I will say ..... definitely will be interesting to see how it compares to the previous vypyr 30, vypyr tube 60 & my current valve king 112 combo.
Agile AL-3010 wide
DBZ Imperial FM Honeyburst
Squier 12' Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier 11' Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster modded
Peavey Valve King 112
Vypyr VIP 2 + Sampera 2

terrybear

Re: Well I took the plunge & bought today ... a VIP

Post by terrybear » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Btw, I welcome anyone's feedback on what to exspect with it or what not.
Agile AL-3010 wide
Peavey Valve King 112
Vypyr VIP 2 + Sampera 2

terrybear

Post by terrybear » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Theoreticaly I should be getting my unit by Tuesday.
Agile AL-3010 wide
Peavey Valve King 112
Vypyr VIP 2 + Sampera 2

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:40 pm

terrybear wrote:Btw, I welcome anyone's feedback on what to exspect with it or what not.
I tried a VIP 2 at local store with two different electric guitars, one with high output passives and one with emgs. Even at low volume I found it to be noisy. Hopefully for you this was an isolated event due to either one bad amp or bad circuit it was plugged into at the music shop.
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

terrybear

Post by terrybear » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks & me too.
j_fury68 wrote:
terrybear wrote:Btw, I welcome anyone's feedback on what to exspect with it or what not.
I tried a VIP 2 at local store with two different electric guitars, one with high output passives and one with emgs. Even at low volume I found it to be noisy. Hopefully for you this was an isolated event due to either one bad amp or bad circuit it was plugged into at the music shop.
Agile AL-3010 wide
Peavey Valve King 112
Vypyr VIP 2 + Sampera 2

Fastwind

Post by Fastwind » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:06 am

The VIPs are great amps.
I have a VIP3, an extremely LOUD amp ! But with the Sponge I can turn it down to 1%, and this time, Peavey really made the power sponge work well!

The fact that you can use 3 channels for each amp makes your favorite model much more flexible as apposed to the 2 channels on the original Vypyrs.
That said, there are fewer amps to chose from. However, the inclusion of the BUDA, the BUTCHER and the 6534 give you a wide sound-spectrum from blues to metal.

The amp works great with the Sanpera II and also the VYPYR EDIT progam works really well (but you need to upgrade the software to v1.62, which was no problem for me).

The only thing I dislike about the amp is the internal speaker. It just doesn't give enough bass response, and as a result, sounds a little bright.
I soldered an input-jack to the speaker kabels, so I can use an external speaker (I use a 2x12' or a 4x12'). Now it really sounds owesome!
Sometimes, in small venues, I use the internal speaker as my monitor, but I also put the Behringer ULTA-G DI with a 4x12' speaker simulator between the amp and the speaker,to go straight to the mixer.

Good luck with your VIP2, and let us know what you think of it!

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:34 am

I wish you luck with your new amp. Maybe you already know, there is a common problem with the eq and the pre & post gain controls on the encoder board. sooner or later they will start to not work right (skipping or not working correctly). I hope this does not happen to you,
8) HAPPY DAYS:

terrybear

Post by terrybear » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:22 am

Well, I hope this is only a issue with the early models, im guessing the stock la music would have had to pick from is newer batches .... unless this is on the newer batches? Otherwise I've not seen that anywhere online. :o
wmjones wrote:I wish you luck with your new amp. Maybe you already know, there is a common problem with the eq and the pre & post gain controls on the encoder board. sooner or later they will start to not work right (skipping or not working correctly). I hope this does not happen to you,
Agile AL-3010 wide
Peavey Valve King 112
Vypyr VIP 2 + Sampera 2

jdalf

Post by jdalf » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:17 am

I like my VIP2 a lot, had it for 2 years without a hitch, I think you'll like it. It does a better job on mid gain and the noise gate is better vs the first gen vypyr. It reacts very well to guitar volume input. Crazy bang for buck value.
My head's in Mississippi

Peavey's: Generation Standard,Limited EXP ST, Falcon Custom,Vypyr 30, VIP 40

homerlex

Post by homerlex » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:43 am

wmjones wrote:I wish you luck with your new amp. Maybe you already know, there is a common problem with the eq and the pre & post gain controls on the encoder board. sooner or later they will start to not work right (skipping or not working correctly). I hope this does not happen to you,
FYI - I had this issue with the preset encoder on my VIP 3. Peavey support said I could take it to a Peavey Service Center (still under warranty) or try cleaning the encoder myself with DeoxIT DN5 Contact Cleaner. Since the nearest service center is 30 minutes from my house I decided to try the contact cleaner (simple to do). It took a few applications of the cleaner but now it works perfectly.

BTW - I love the VIP3, plenty loud. Good luck with the VIP2.

terrybear

Post by terrybear » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:39 am

ty folks .... will report later today as its out for delivery today a day early !! YAY !! :P
Agile AL-3010 wide
Peavey Valve King 112
Vypyr VIP 2 + Sampera 2

terrybear

Post by terrybear » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:04 pm

So, I've had it for over 2 hrs now but only have messed around on it for 15-20 minutes ....

Impressions so far:
- It powered up lol
- dials work as they should
- unit was manufactured exactly 1 year ago (kinda funny to see that)
- Don't even have it over 2 & find it loud on some presets !!
- bass emulation thru a guitar sounded just like playing a bass
- 6534 on the red channel ...... WHOLY gain/sustain !! Actualy makes my vk 112 gen 1's best gain sound like crap.
- sitar sounds meh, resonator also sounds meh on initial preset/pre-loaded settings
- acoustic emulation mode's sound o.k .... but are low in volume?
- 12 string sound kinda sounds o.k

I still haven't hooked up my sampera II to the unit or tested its headphone out or usb yet.

BUT that said .... so far ..... I think it sounds better then my gen 1 Valve King 112 combo !! Gives me impressions of the Vypyr 30 I had & Vypyr Tube 60 I had that died.

Definitely need to do short/long term testing on it for more solid conclusion but ... very good/great 1st impression I must admit!!
Agile AL-3010 wide
Peavey Valve King 112
Vypyr VIP 2 + Sampera 2

terrybear

Post by terrybear » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:50 pm

next impressions,

was able to firmware update the amp to 1.62 successfully .... everything is working *knock on wood*.

How it works with the silver sampera 2 .... not perfect but not bad either.

Now ... here's my lil quips so far:

- 400 banks but all separated into guitar, bass, acoustic & x. Like then it rolls guitar 1,5,9,13 .... and repeats after the 10. Rolls like someone adhd .. o.O

- only seen 1 preset out of the 400 that is a bass emulator for guitar & it's buried deep into the patches.

- not able to access the wah function manualy on the right controller by pressing down as before?

- Hendrix inspired patch but has a pitch shifter?

- again as reported here .... flipping thru some patches volume is much louder or higher then others.

- thought when using usb it was supost to disable the amp speaker? (maybe I need to reboot my pc since software install?)

- does the software not allow to you scroll thru the patches somehow instead of it looks like having to type it in ?

Despite all the things listed here ... still impressed with it so far. IF Vypyr Pro can be improve on what I have experienced so far ... it COULD be worth the money & be successful.
Agile AL-3010 wide
Peavey Valve King 112
Vypyr VIP 2 + Sampera 2

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:32 am

Here are a couple of files that may interest you. they are from other post in this form. (don't remember how far back).
Attachments
Peavey Vypyr VIP 3 - Presets and Code Key V.1.1 (1).pdf
(186.27 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Copy of Vypyr VIP 1 & 2Default Patches.xls
(163 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
8) HAPPY DAYS:

terrybear

Post by terrybear » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:30 pm

ty ty ty !! why isn't this posted in the stickie for the vip series ??? o.O
wmjones wrote:Here are a couple of files that may interest you. they are from other post in this form. (don't remember how far back).
Agile AL-3010 wide
Peavey Valve King 112
Vypyr VIP 2 + Sampera 2