Peavey Vypyr 75 External Fuse Holder

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
kato_ryan

Peavey Vypyr 75 External Fuse Holder

Post by kato_ryan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:45 am

Hey,

So probably close to 4 years ago the fuse blew in my Vypyr 75, (just have been REALLY lazy about it until recently). I was looking into the process to swap and have decided I want to try putting on a panel mounted fuse holder. I'm planning on getting a soldering iron and the rosin core solder. I know I need the 3 Amp fuses and have read plenty on HOW to do it, but I was curious about the type of wire that should be used to connect from where the old fuse is to where the new fuse holder will be. I've read things like "twisted power", some people have used solid, I've heard people using speaker wire. With all of the different things thrown around, I was wondering the best wire to use and where to get it. I'm posting a link to a couple of the places I've seen these. Any feedback or information would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks a ton!

http://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30613

http://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=19976

wmjones

Re: Peavey Vypyr 75 External Fuse Holder

Post by wmjones » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Any wire that will carry a load greater then the fuse ( 3 ampere ) will work. I added a fuse holder to my vypyr 75. I soldered the wire from the new fuse holder directly to the old fuse without removing it. It works just fine and I never had a fuse blow since, but now I am ready for it.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

kato_ryan

Post by kato_ryan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:18 pm

wmjones wrote:Any wire that will carry a load greater then the fuse ( 3 ampere ) will work. I added a fuse holder to my vypyr 75. I soldered the wire from the new fuse holder directly to the old fuse without removing it. It works just fine and I never had a fuse blow since, but now I am ready for it.

Where would you say is the best place to get wire and is the ampere usually listed with the wire details? Also, how much wire would you say I need? Would about a foot be enough?

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:11 pm

kato_ryan wrote:
wmjones wrote:Any wire that will carry a load greater then the fuse ( 3 ampere ) will work. I added a fuse holder to my vypyr 75. I soldered the wire from the new fuse holder directly to the old fuse without removing it. It works just fine and I never had a fuse blow since, but now I am ready for it.

Where would you say is the best place to get wire and is the ampere usually listed with the wire details? Also, how much wire would you say I need? Would about a foot be enough?
I would say use 20 gauge from any electronic store (radio shack). Yes a foot should be enough. Truth is I just used speaker wire for my amp.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

kato_ryan

Post by kato_ryan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:33 pm

wmjones wrote:
kato_ryan wrote:

I would say use 20 gauge from any electronic store (radio shack). Yes a foot should be enough. Truth is I just used speaker wire for my amp.
Thanks a ton, man! That helps out a lot! I dropped it off at my local guitar store this afternoon to get a diagnostic to make 100% it's the fuse (I don't have a voltmeter/ohmmeter). They do the diag for free, but said like $65/hr labor then obviously the parts. At that rate, if it IS just the fuse I'd be spending almost three times as much for them to do it and only swap the fuse and then I'd have to go thru it all again if it blows.