VIP-3 preset volume levels

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
dchicora

VIP-3 preset volume levels

Post by dchicora » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:07 pm

Does anyone know if there is an update to fix the volume levels for the presets? Every damn preset has a different volume level and it's quite annoying. I think for the money paid for this amp, there should be a fix but seems to be no new firmware for a long time. Other than going through each individual preset and adjusting the post gain and then saving each preset, I can't find a way around this. This is just nonsense. Peavey, do you test your stuff before releasing it to the public? I'm sorry but I'm very annoyed.

darryl_derbyshire

Re: VIP-3 preset volume levels

Post by darryl_derbyshire » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:27 pm

It is a bit of a pain. My only suggestion for you is to take the presets you like and adjust the volume settings and save them. Most digital amps (and pre-amps) have this issue, but the VIP series seems to be all over the map with volume settings.

darryl_derbyshire

Post by darryl_derbyshire » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:41 pm

Also, I just went through the list of amp models available for the Vypyr Pro, I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of options we as VIP series owners. Don't get me wrong, I really like the way the VIP3 sounds and it does give me the sounds I need, but it is a bit annoying that a product that i've had for less then a year is already out of date, as we have seen by the lack of any updates on the product (software or firmware wise, I think it says the latest update on those for the VIP3 was october 2013). I would like to know if anything will get updated on the VIP3, or some amps added in the future, but Peavey doesn't make that kind of stuff known to the public.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:23 pm

dchicora wrote:Does anyone know if there is an update to fix the volume levels for the presets? Every damn preset has a different volume level and it's quite annoying. I think for the money paid for this amp, there should be a fix but seems to be no new firmware for a long time. Other than going through each individual preset and adjusting the post gain and then saving each preset, I can't find a way around this. This is just nonsense. Peavey, do you test your stuff before releasing it to the public? I'm sorry but I'm very annoyed.
You said yourself what you have to do. I find this no problem since very few people use the factory defaults anyway. One thing you could do is set the post gain full open on the low output ( green channel) amp models, then adjust post gain to match on the high output channel And or high output amps. If you want distortion you will need to blend pre and post gain To your liking. Chances are you would be changing all your presets to your liking anyway. Another thing to remember is different stumps and effects affect volume. What this means it's up to the user to edit presets the way he wants or likes them.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:13 pm

wmjones wrote:
dchicora wrote:Does anyone know if there is an update to fix the volume levels for the presets? Every damn preset has a different volume level and it's quite annoying. I think for the money paid for this amp, there should be a fix but seems to be no new firmware for a long time. Other than going through each individual preset and adjusting the post gain and then saving each preset, I can't find a way around this. This is just nonsense. Peavey, do you test your stuff before releasing it to the public? I'm sorry but I'm very annoyed.
You said yourself what you have to do. I find this no problem since very few people use the factory defaults anyway. One thing you could do is set the post gain full open on the low output ( green channel) amp models, then adjust post gain to match on the high output channel And or high output amps. If you want distortion you will need to blend pre and post gain To your liking. Chances are you would be changing all your presets to your liking anyway. Another thing to remember is different stumps and effects affect volume. What this means it's up to the user to edit presets the way he wants or likes them.
WM Jones is absolutely right.
The advice he gives resolves all output balance issues - it's exactly what I do with my Vypyr 30.
Peavey built a feature packed amp for sure but what they don't do is give to you tonal nirvana handed on a plate.
Think of the presets as a template for your own tweaks.
The amp will do exactly what you want it to do if you take the time and trouble to understand it's behaviour.
Then you will be the master and it will be the slave !

dchicora

Post by dchicora » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:17 pm

With this amp being able to accept firmware updates and all, they should just fix the volume levels and issue an update. They left out important factors with the VIP-3. I dont know about the other VIP amps but another downfall, is no way to switch amp models via footswitch. Would be nice to go from clean to distortion without having to go to the amp itself and turn the knob and then push it in. The other way around that is to make new presets and switch when wanting to go from clean to distortion but that can really get confusing and cluttered when trying to play a set of songs. The only way to use this amp in a viable manner would be to plug the guitar into effect pedals and then to the amp which completely makes the amp useless for what it was meant for. Now youre just using effect pedals instead of the effects in the amp which was why I bought it. Maybe I just don't know how to use it properly.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:42 pm

dchicora wrote: The other way around that is to make new presets and switch when wanting to go from clean to distortion but that can really get confusing and cluttered when trying to play a set of songs.
This line from your quote contains your answer. Just put the presets you need for a song in the same BANK. (No more confusion) (example Bank 00, preset 1 clean, 2 distortion, 3 pitch shift, 4 tube scream.) this puts a song in one bank. With a sanpera 11 you have 104 banks to work with.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

dchicora

Post by dchicora » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Yea, as i said, that gets a bit cluttered and confusing. Unless you play your song list in the same exact order every time. Otherwise, you are flipping through banks umteen times to get where you need to be for the song you are ready to play.

dchicora

Post by dchicora » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:39 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention....even when switching presets via sanpera II foot pedal, there is a delay from the time you press the switch until it actually comes through the amp. Not a good scenario. By them just allowing a switch on the foot pedal to switch between clean, crunch and overdrive would have been a much better solution. I guess there is going to be no implementation of it either.

darryl_derbyshire

Post by darryl_derbyshire » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:44 pm

I don't have the Sanpera pedal so I was unaware of the delay when you change channels with it. But you are the first I've seen to mention that, so maybe there is a software/firmware issue with your unit. I had a floor unit years back that had a similar delay, it was quite frustrating, but somewhere down the line it was fixed (i don't recall if it was a firmware update). I have been considering picking up a Sanpera or some sort of midi switching device for it, but since it's not a live rig for me I will leave that alone. I am still kind of surprised that there have been no software or firmware updates in 2 years on this amp, even if it was just to update the Vypyr Edit software, as it does some strange things from time to time.

dchicora

Post by dchicora » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:29 am

Yea, I guess they got their money from this line and no longer support it.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:14 am

dchicora wrote:Yea, I guess they got their money from this line and no longer support it.
After your last posting I got my fcb1010 out of the closet and did some testing. What I found is the vip's have the firmware to do what you been asking. The problem is not the amp but the sanpera. (Not programmable so it cannot access the control codes needed which are in the amps firmware) With my fcb1010 using stump mode I can change amp channels, select amps, 5 presets per bank and other things not available with the sanpera 11. also instant preset switching. The only problem with the fcb1010 is only 95 presets and 5 stumps in stump mode. fyi This is not a plug for the fcb1010 because I still prefer the sanpera for other reasons.
8) HAPPY DAYS: