resonant woof with vypyr 30?

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
jalan

resonant woof with vypyr 30?

Post by jalan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:05 am

Hi, all. I just got the chance to turn this amp up a bit (had it less than a week). I only turned it about 1/3 of the way up, but was getting a really noticeable woof on an open A (and E) when stop or start muting these strings. If there something wrong with mine or do they all do this?

propbeanie

Re: resonant woof with vypyr 30?

Post by propbeanie » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:56 am

Is it the speaker itself, or the "box"? The cabinet itself is a bit "flimsy", and some of the steel and plastic components do "rattle" a bit when the level is up. I haven't used mine "loud" for quite a while, used a 2x12 closed-back cab instead of the stock speaker when I did, and didn't have any issues then. 'Course, I'm a 59yo, half-deaf idiot who's opinion is not to be trusted... :wink: - so I may not have been able to hear any noise from it anyway.
84 PV T60, Heritage, Vypyr 30, SanperaII; Win7-64 Home Prem SP-1
& updated - Intel DP43BF P43 w/ Core2 Quad Q8300 4G RAM - ATI
HD 4550 512MB vid - 2xWD Blk SATA 3 750G HD, Asus BD-RW -
EMU 1820M w/ Reaper-64 3.78 - PV ReValver 4 - ADA8000 - LM16

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:14 pm

I once had a similar problem except mine was a ring, not a woof. The issue was with the same strings ( E & A ). It turned out that it was neither the amp or guitar but the room I played in. I used acoustic foam panels on the walls and the problem disappeared. ( The room was small ). Also if able put some distance between your amp and guitar. Also what propbeanie said could be right. I have a vypyr 75 and a vip 3 and I find I cannot have my extra stumps and sanpera 11 close to my amps without causing some noise on the red channels or high output amps models. I have never had a noise problem related directly to the amp. however don't rule out the amp.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

jalan

Post by jalan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:15 pm

Sorry, just saw there were replies here...

I think it's the box and it must be the way it's built. I took mine back and had them replace it and it did the same exact thing. I had them keep it and got a refund while I'm considering if I wanna deal with that or try a different type of amp entirely.

So how did you run your Vypyr through a 2x12 when there's no jack for an extension speaker?

propbeanie

Post by propbeanie » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:58 am

I disconnected and then "jumpered" off the spade connectors for the speaker itself, with a homemade cable. Other folks put a 1/4 inch jack on the back of the amp. Just be careful of the ohms (and "shorts").