Vypyr Pro

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
culpster

Re: Vypyr Pro

Post by culpster » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:33 pm

I agree with the mix levels. Would love to have that added to the EFFECTS SECTION of the effects. Like having a mix control on your effects loop. Many of these are not as subtle as I would use them. Not bad sounding, just not as subtle. However, I maybe missing something in the controls as I have not spent alot of time with these.

That being said. I am a gigging guitarist and have done 4 paid gigs with this new rig. Full band includes 2 guitars, bass, drums, vocals. The quality of the amps is fantastic. Unlike previous post, I find this dead simple to get fantastic sounds with no effort. The direct out is awesome sounding. I no longer even bring a microphone for setup. Time is money, the fact that it takes me 5 minutes and I am ready to go. That is fantastic! Maybe I can weave a cover out of all my extra cables and cords that I used to use for 4 cable method and pedals.

As modellers go, there are some things that you will need to work out. Setting your wah to appropriate intensity, What is your boost level going to be, etc. But really? I had that set in the first 20 minutes of practice. I also owned the Tube 60. This is so much better, tubes or not. I realize that many are concerned with this, but you can get anything that you want with the available options on this amp. The ability to have a pro controller that makes sense and delivers on all avenues is a bonus.

I think that the boost, and trails that are available for reverb and delay are the standouts for me. That makes this something special, and really adds something if used correctly. I don't think that you are hearing alot about these because there really are not that many complaints about it. Most forums are riddled with issues with the amp or pedal. If you take a look at the punch list for this it really is just minor issues with the code. They have acknowledged the items and have already stated that there will be a fix.

The first issue was kinda of silly, meaning it would be arguable if it would ever effect someone in a live situation. The other item fixed in a timely manner will be fine. There are many options that can be used as a workaround until it is fixed. The problems with the editor have been addressed as they have been announced. I think that they have been pretty quick about most of the items. It really is a good go to, quick setup, versatile, and great sounding amp. I think that most people are waiting for the backlash of what is really bad or why this is not a great solution. I don't think that you are going to get that with this setup. It is simple to use, simple to navigate after a few hours and if you know what a typical signal change is, you can get alot of great sounds.

The only thing that will limit your ability is knowing how some of these amps respond in their actual physical state. There are amps that require the EQ to be pretty dramatic to sound good. As do the real amp. Some amps need the presence at 7, others are typically set and 3 or 4. Some require the treble around 6, other amps will sound fizzy at 7. Again, as the real amps do. Once you get a understanding of the typical settings people use to set up the real versions of these amps, setting up the modeled version is dead simple.
EVH Wolfgang Standard
EVH Wolfgang Special
Peavey Vypyr Pro 100, Blackstar Tube 60, Blackstar 60TVP, Marshall JVM

pvampmgr

Post by pvampmgr » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Please check this out and let me know if it addresses the issues you've all experienced. It has on my side, but before we post on the main site I would like to know it address your concerns.
Attachments
VPRO-137.syx
(634.99 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:52 pm

Michael, could you please post what bugs were addressed in this update? I will not be able to install update until tomorrow, but will let you know what I find.

pvampmgr

Post by pvampmgr » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:31 pm

Rocco Crocco wrote:Michael, could you please post what bugs were addressed in this update? I will not be able to install update until tomorrow, but will let you know what I find.
This addressed a volume concern with bypassed OD pedals, and a few I found as well that I'd rather not point to since no one else found them. :)
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:48 pm

:lol:

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:27 pm

1.37 has been installed. I only played the amp briefly to make sure my presets sound the same (they do) and to check if the overdrive issue is fixed (it is). So far so good.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:01 am

Saw this ad in MF catalog and it made me laugh...can your vypro do bass and acoustic?
Attachments
1448542828125324498758.jpg
1448542828125324498758.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 6364 times
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

homerlex

Post by homerlex » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:34 am

j_fury68 wrote:Saw this ad in MF catalog and it made me laugh...can your vypro do bass and acoustic?
The description is for the VIP series. Perhaps they should have list the Pro separately to avoid confusion.

j_fury68

Post by j_fury68 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:52 am

homerlex wrote:
j_fury68 wrote:Saw this ad in MF catalog and it made me laugh...can your vypro do bass and acoustic?
The description is for the VIP series. Perhaps they should have list the Pro separately to avoid confusion.
Totally! They were confused with that one. Wonder if anyone will buy the pro thinking it will do bass and acoustic or if anyone will buy a VIP expecting to see the amp in the picture when they open the box!
:arrow: Peavey HP Special FT in Blue Moon Burst, Vypyr 30 with Effects Loop, Zoom G5, Vypyr Pro 100.

treewiz

Post by treewiz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:47 am

I attempted several times to update the FW to 1.37 to no avail. I was able to origannly update the 1.33 FW but for some reason my computer saying the file is not complete and the installation downlode (Vloud or what ever it is won't reconize my E-mu midi cables now) This is a bit frustating. The editor works with the USB cable but the midi won't work. I reloaded the install software and the firmware several times to no avail also. I noticed that there was no extract all prompt in the choices for the download. I just don't get it.

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:21 am

treewiz wrote:I attempted several times to update the FW to 1.37 to no avail. I was able to origannly update the 1.33 FW but for some reason my computer saying the file is not complete and the installation downlode (Vloud or what ever it is won't reconize my E-mu midi cables now) This is a bit frustating. The editor works with the USB cable but the midi won't work. I reloaded the install software and the firmware several times to no avail also. I noticed that there was no extract all prompt in the choices for the download. I just don't get it.
Save the firmware to the same folder as the updater then run the updater. the firmware is not a zip file and will only run from the updater.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

treewiz

Post by treewiz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:28 am

I did that with the only way it would let me by dragging the download into the installer file section and as soon as I do that the midi connection choice goes darker indicating no connection. I have my amp in firmware ready mode and the download says complete and finish which I complete, after sometime, but it still will not download the FW.

Rocco Crocco

Post by Rocco Crocco » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:47 pm

^^^ Don't use midi cables. Use the USB cable that you connect to the editor with. Are you using the 3rd party updater or the one attached to the editor?

Aartsbok

Post by Aartsbok » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi there people,

I have read through this entire thread and checked "here and there" in other threads, but found no very clear answer to the following question as to what people think. Don't shoot me if it has been discussed several times somewhere else, I'm sorry for missing that :)

I own a VIP3, untill today I've been pleased with it for what it does for the price I have paid.

For now I only use this at home, it has been more then adequate.

The only thing I do not like is the build quality, by which I mean the physical build quality of materials. I had the amp for days and I only used it on the floor and on a shelf just above the same floor and the corners cracked, today about one year later the sides of the amp cracked also, I feel it would literally fall appart if I moved it to rehearsals unless I open the thing up myself and build it into another frame.

I also use the Sanpera with it, the "bigger" version with 2 pedals.

All in all I would definitly understand there to be a difference in sound quality considdering the price difference, I paid 369 euro (about 450$ I think) for the amp and 199 euro for the pedal.

The vypyr pro, where I live, costs about 899 euro, 950$.... very expensive I "think", unless of course one really gets a LOAD of better sound with the vypyr pro then one did with the VIP.

So, is there anyone here who actually owns both series of amps and can compare the two in sound for me? In my case it's a wonder of if the upgrade is worth the lots of extra money.

I play with Jackson RR24 and RR24M with one EMG81 (don't shoot me, I know very few people on this board dig actives :), unfortunatly I have 2 of those guitars and I won't buy another one simply for the pick-up, I always liked how this one sounded for the symphonic metal my band plays). Next to that I own an LTD bass so the VIP has been easy for that as well, tho I own a 300W lodown pro line 6 amp just for the bass.

Next to the fact that I have read that "on paper" the vypyr pro would be the WAY better amp for actives and the overdubbing looper function I would like to read some thoughts on above subject by people who can tell by experience.

Is the amp indeed way better for actives? Or doesn't it matter THAT much? Is it worth (in Belgium) 3X the price of the VIP? Or am I allready set with the VIP3?

How HUGE is the difference?

pvampmgr

Post by pvampmgr » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:15 pm

I appreciate the cost difference, it is a frustration for all. I would say the overwhelming majority of the comments I've received about the Vypyr Pro is that it is indeed light years ahead of any other Vypyr in terms of the tone of the models. Very accurate and very good. I've actually gotten several comments that it beats both the Kemper and the Axe FX in terms of the amp models.
Michael Smith
Product Manager
Peavey Electronics