Vypyr 30 to DI Box Questions

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
misterdetail

Vypyr 30 to DI Box Questions

Post by misterdetail » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:37 am

I am going to be running my Vypyr 30 direct from the Headphone out in to a DI box. For the cable end connecting to the Headphone out, does it need to be 1/8 TS (mono) or 1/8 TRS (stereo)? The other end of the cable will be 1/4 TS (mono) going in to the DI box. Also, I know that doing this will mute the internal speaker. Is there any way to change that so I’m also getting sound from the internal speaker?

Thanks!
Peavey 6505 Piranha

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Romans 6:23

misterdetail

Re: Vypyr 30 to DI Box Questions

Post by misterdetail » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:24 pm

In a nutshell, is the audio that comes out of the Headphone jack in mono or stereo? Thanks!
Peavey 6505 Piranha

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Klink

Post by Klink » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:09 pm

It's mono and you don't need a DI box (plug headphone output directly into mixer or whatever you're going to) although the supposedly speaker simulated output sounds pretty tinny & awful so good luck with that.

misterdetail

Post by misterdetail » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:54 pm

Klink wrote:It's mono and you don't need a DI box (plug headphone output directly into mixer or whatever you're going to) although the supposedly speaker simulated output sounds pretty tinny & awful so good luck with that.
Thanks for the answer! I ran it yesterday in to a DI box and IMO it sounded good, but the cable plugged in to the Headphone out was stereo. I'll go with a mono cable now. By the way, I also have a 1/8 mono cable with XLR on the other end that I tried out without the DI box and it was noisier than going with a DI box. So I'll stick with the DI box.

Thanks again!
Peavey 6505 Piranha

Pet_Peavey

Post by Pet_Peavey » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Have you tried putting the cable half way into the headphone out jack? Thought I read somewhere here that you get a signal out and speaker sound simultaneously .. I have the 75 w USB output and btw it sounds pretty dang good to me..no "cricket's" in the signal..good luck w your recording project.. 8)
2000 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Peavey Vypyr 75

misterdetail

Post by misterdetail » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:17 am

Pet_Peavey wrote:Have you tried putting the cable half way into the headphone out jack? Thought I read somewhere here that you get a signal out and speaker sound simultaneously .. I have the 75 w USB output and btw it sounds pretty dang good to me..no "cricket's" in the signal..good luck w your recording project.. 8)
Thank you - I will give that a try! Very cool if it works. I'm actually using it on the worship team at church, not to record. But good to know that sounds good too. Thanks again!
Peavey 6505 Piranha

misterdetail

Post by misterdetail » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:10 am

misterdetail wrote:
Pet_Peavey wrote:Have you tried putting the cable half way into the headphone out jack? Thought I read somewhere here that you get a signal out and speaker sound simultaneously .. I have the 75 w USB output and btw it sounds pretty dang good to me..no "cricket's" in the signal..good luck w your recording project.. 8)
Thank you - I will give that a try! Very cool if it works. I'm actually using it on the worship team at church, not to record. But good to know that sounds good too. Thanks again!
I tried putting the cable half way into the headphone jack and it doesn't work simultaneously with the internal speaker. The internal speaker turns back on the but the headphone out turns off. So no go. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Peavey 6505 Piranha

wmjones

Post by wmjones » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:59 pm

misterdetail wrote:I tried putting the cable half way into the headphone jack and it doesn't work simultaneously with the internal speaker. The internal speaker turns back on the but the headphone out turns off. So no go. Thanks for the suggestion though!

You can carefully plug it in which is about half way it will work. I know because I have been doing this wit my recorder. The idea is to make the headphone contact without breaking the switch contact to the speaker.
8) HAPPY DAYS:

misterdetail

Post by misterdetail » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:46 am

wmjones wrote:
misterdetail wrote:I tried putting the cable half way into the headphone jack and it doesn't work simultaneously with the internal speaker. The internal speaker turns back on the but the headphone out turns off. So no go. Thanks for the suggestion though!

You can carefully plug it in which is about half way it will work. I know because I have been doing this wit my recorder. The idea is to make the headphone contact without breaking the switch contact to the speaker.
Ok thanks, I'll give it another shot and report back!
Peavey 6505 Piranha

Fastwind

Post by Fastwind » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:06 am

There is a way to DI the Vypyr30, while using the internal speaker, but it involves a little DIY...
(took me only 10 minutes!)

I cut the speaker cables, and soldered them to a female TS-input jack (it fits perfectly in the hole where the speaker-cables come out on the underside of the Vypyr's metal casing). As a bonus, this mod gives you the means to connect any speaker cab to your Vypyr...

I use the Behringer Ultra-G GI100 DI ( http://www.music-group.com/Categories/B ... 00/p/P0137 ), which has a great speaker simulator. (It's also very cheap!!)

Just plug-in a speaker-cable in the Vypyr's speaker output (that female TS jack), and connect it to the GI100's input.
Then connect the Vypyr's internal speaker to the GI100's 'direct link - to cabinet'. (you have to solder a male TS-jack to the speaker cables first.)
Connect the DI100's 'output to mixer' to the mixing deck, and switch on the '4x12' Virtual Cab Simulator'.

Now all you have to do, is play your guitar, and press the -20 Db buttons to prevent clipping...

This way, you keep the sound of your Vypyr's internal speaker (or any other speaker you'd like to use), and the soundman gets the same sound (the exact sound between the amp and the speaker) through a virtual 4x12' cab, without the use of microphones...

lionheart

Post by lionheart » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:03 pm

Fastwind wrote:There is a way to DI the Vypyr30, while using the internal speaker, but it involves a little DIY...
(took me only 10 minutes!)

I cut the speaker cables, and soldered them to a female TS-input jack (it fits perfectly in the hole where the speaker-cables come out on the underside of the Vypyr's metal casing). As a bonus, this mod gives you the means to connect any speaker cab to your Vypyr...

I use the Behringer Ultra-G GI100 DI ( http://www.music-group.com/Categories/B ... 00/p/P0137 ), which has a great speaker simulator. (It's also very cheap!!)

Just plug-in a speaker-cable in the Vypyr's speaker output (that female TS jack), and connect it to the GI100's input.
Then connect the Vypyr's internal speaker to the GI100's 'direct link - to cabinet'. (you have to solder a male TS-jack to the speaker cables first.)
Connect the DI100's 'output to mixer' to the mixing deck, and switch on the '4x12' Virtual Cab Simulator'.

Now all you have to do, is play your guitar, and press the -20 Db buttons to prevent clipping...

This way, you keep the sound of your Vypyr's internal speaker (or any other speaker you'd like to use), and the soundman gets the same sound (the exact sound between the amp and the speaker) through a virtual 4x12' cab, without the use of microphones...
I do exactly the same - you won't get better results than this method period !

Pet_Peavey

Post by Pet_Peavey » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:04 am

That's a brilliant idea and thanks for posting this..I bet it works better for direct recording than headphone out also...
2000 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Peavey Vypyr 75

misterdetail

Post by misterdetail » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:04 pm

Thanks for the info, Fastwind! I hope to give it a try sometime.
Peavey 6505 Piranha