Just bought a Peavey Vypyr 30

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
NicklasP

Just bought a Peavey Vypyr 30

Post by NicklasP » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:55 am

Hi all,

Finally, after several months trying to find a vypyr 30 ive atlast found one :)
Its in great condition and im loving the sound from it.

I still very new to guitar, been playing for a year so i need your help now since my "ear" isnt good enough to configure it 100% myself.

Im playing GnR songs only at the moment and would be in your dept forever if you can help me to get near the sound from the original songs.

For November Rain , how should i configure my amp for the solos and the other parts ?

For Knocking on Heavens door, how should i configure the clean parts / dist parts and solo ?

Please describe in detail on how to get there and as i said, i would be in your dept forever if you would be kind to help me out.

vforever

Re: Just bought a Peavey Vypyr 30

Post by vforever » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:58 pm

On November Rain the consensus is that he's using a modded rental Marshall 2203 (SIR Stock #34).

Try this: Start with the 'Brit' model and back off on the bass while boosting mids and highs. Pre up all the way or close to it. Play the neck pick-up with the tone rolled off to see if that makes a difference. I'm feeling that the input signal may need a boost. The rhythm parts at the end sound like flat-out bridge pickup with the tone at ten.

Slash's UYI tone is basically a characteristically midrange-y Marshall fuzzy/crunchy with a rolled-off top end.

p.s. We can't really describe in detail because we don't have your axe, your speaker cab or your fingers. I'm sorry I can't be more specific--there are a lot of subtleties.

NicklasP

Post by NicklasP » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:20 am

Hi and many thanks for taking the time to answer.

What ive meant by "describe in detail" was how to configure the amp to get the sound for November Rain and Knocking on heavens door.

I know when and where Slash uses the neck pick-up and tone rolled of ( not saying im thankful for you telling me :D ) but im really unsure how to tune in my Vypyr 30 to get the sound.

So what ive meant by detail was: How should i dial in : Stompboxes / Amp / Effects / Pregain / Low / Mid / High / Postgain

What should i leave them on without Edit mode and With edit mode.

Maybe im asking for much, but i would love the help if someone has the time.
Also, from searching i found that there use to be a vypyrsettings page for a while back but that seems gone.
Anyone know of another place where one can go looking for specific settings to guitarists/Songs ?

vypman

Post by vypman » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:39 pm

It has been awhile since i posted here but i wanted to mention a few of my tips to some of you new members,i see that Pet_Peavey already mentioned one of them! Yes the zero pitch setting is a good one for getting a fatter rounder tone and also a little bit of volume boost,i use it on most of my user preset settings.I have the following peavey vypyrs:15,30 and 75w original vypyrs no vip vypyrs,i like the older ones better.

Another thing i did was to add a beam blocker to the inside of the speaker grill in the center of the speaker,you can buy them or make your own like i did,i glued a blank cd to a 1"high wooden stick to hold it in place over the speaker cutout inside of the amp,i also glued black felt over the front of the cd and painted the wooden support flat black so it cannot be seen through the front of the speaker grill cloth,the felt also dampens any vibration from the speaker grill cloth.

The reason i installed the beam blocker was to filter out the the harsh high frequencies,it sounds much better to me now with the beam blocker in place,i did this with my vypyr 30 and 75w only,my 15w vypyr did not need the beam blocker because it sounds a little darker and does not have the harsher higher frequencies like the vypyr 30 and 75w.

You can also try the different voice settings by holding down one of the preset buttons 1-4 while you power up your amp,you can get a slightly darker tone on presets 2 and 4.On my vypyr 15 and 30w i installed a back board to increase the low end,there is about a 1" opening at the top of the back board to let the rear of the amp chassie let out any heat buildup,i am also thinking about cutting a hole on the rear of my vypyr 30's back board for a tune port to get some of the speakers back wave and also to place a mic for more tonal possibilities.I hope some of you guys try these tips out and let me know if they improve the sound of your vypyr amps?

Note:I also have this posted in the thread: Bought a Peavey Vypyr 30,just in case some of you guys missed it.