Fixing a 'bricked' VIP 1

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
kend123

Fixing a 'bricked' VIP 1

Post by kend123 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:55 am

Has anyone on the forums managed to fix a bricked VIP 1 (my update failed due to a faulty USB port)? I'm planning to try flashing the firmware using a Raspberry PI as the writer and flashROM. If so did you flash the VIP162.syx file from the website? I'm confused by the 'syx' suffix,

androponic

Re: Fixing a 'bricked' VIP 1

Post by androponic » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:10 pm

kend123

Post by kend123 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:05 am

Thanks for the link androponic. I've seen this and it is the process I intend to follow, however Glen got hold of the firmware by copying it from another amp (flashROM will read as well as write), unfortunately I don't have that option. The question I'm struggling with is whether I can simply use the firmware file from the Peavey VIP website (vip162.syx). I'm confused by the .syx prefix (something to do with MIDI?) and wondering whether the Peavey installer does anything with the code before it is flashed.

leadstar

Post by leadstar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:43 pm

No, you can't use that file. Maybe Glen has also a Vypyr VIP and can help you out.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:42 am

You have to realize even Peavey didnt intend the vip 1 to be repairable. They dont consider them serviceable. Just go get another used one for $50 and save your brain the frustration. Dead Vypyrs are just that. dead. I've never heard of a resurrection of one.
I have a hinky one, and it always acts hinky.
Dalrymple

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:06 pm

If you are comfortable taking out the DSP board I can reflash it for you. PM me if you are interested.
Last edited by gcolbert on Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kend123

Post by kend123 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:08 am

gcolbert wrote:If you are comfortable taking out the DSP board I can reflash it for you. PM me if you are interested.

OOps, Just noticed this is for a VIP 1. I don't have that image. The same approach works though. Possibly I cab borrow someone's VIP DSP board for a day or two?
Thanks for the offer Glen (PM doesn't work for me on this board - I don't know why not), but I'm based in the UK and shipping stuff to the US is expensive! I actually have all the kit to reflash the chip (I'll try using a Raspberry PI 2 - which has the necessary GPIO pins - rather than an Arduino board. I think it should work) I just don't have the image.

I take Dalyrmple's point about Peavey and their repair policy - although in principle flashing the chip with the firmware image should resolve the problem. This might explain why I can't get much of a response from their customer services or repair contacts!

vloher

Fixing a 'bricked' VIP 2

Post by vloher » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Glen,

I have a bricked VIP2 which needs to be reflashed. I have the firmware image (1.62) and feel I can remove the DSP. Would you flash for me? I would be deeply grateful. My email is: [email protected] Phone: 919-303-9639

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:11 pm

The image to flash the chip is different than the file that the Vyper loading program uses. I'm thinking about borrowing a VIP this weekend to copy the chip.

kend123

Post by kend123 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:22 am

gcolbert wrote:The image to flash the chip is different than the file that the Vyper loading program uses. I'm thinking about borrowing a VIP this weekend to copy the chip.
Hi Glen - if you can manage that and make the image available, that would be fantastic. I've been trying to source a reasonably priced used VIP to do the same thing.

For info for others with dead VIP amps due to firmware problems: I have had a conversation with Peavey and they can supply a replacement DSP board. It's a bit costly - £108 here in the UK (I think thats about about 150 USD). Quite a bit for a VIP1, but I guess if you have one of the more expensive models that might well be worthwhile.

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:24 pm

I think I finally got a good image of the VIP ROM. I've got a bricked DSP board headed my way. We'll let you know how things work out.

Yup. same approach works with the VIPs. I do have a usable ROM image for VIP DSP boards now.

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:04 pm

Looks like this can be fixed with a Rasberry Pi and a $5.00 SOIC clip (and a little Rasberry configuration work).

Updated video in the works.

vloher

Post by vloher » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:55 pm

Glen,

Thank you so much for unbricking (ha!) my VIP2. I deeply appreciate your help.

Vic

kend123

Post by kend123 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:03 am

Just to confirm Glen's post - fixed my VIP 1 by re-flashing the chip using a Raspberry PI and flashrom. The only real difficulty was the SOIC clip is a very tight fit on the VIP DSP board; it took a few attempts to get a solid connection for the write. Many thanks to Glen for the ROM and advice. :D

season_of_ages

Post by season_of_ages » Sat May 14, 2016 5:48 am

Could anyone please post a step by step how-to using both methods (Arduino and Raspberry Pi) I feel like I can take on this task. I have a CANBus Triple I'd like to attempt the flash with. The CBT is an Arduino board. I'm wondering if the CBT pin out can be used. In which case I might only need that SOIC clip, although the CBT came with an open ended harness...

Anywho any info would be immensely appreciated. Thank you