Problem recording Vypyr 75

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
jefferson_one

Re: Problem recording Vypyr 75

Post by jefferson_one » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:41 pm

... oh well, for what its worth:

I can record the Vypyr 75 just fine with 'headphone out' to line-in on Soundblaster PCI card and using Reaper software. It sounds just the same as the Vypyr 15 output. I set up three channels in Reaper:

1.) Vypyr 15 headphone out
2.) Vypyr 75 headphone out
3.) Vypyr 75 USB out

I really had to strain just to even think I heard a difference in quality using the USB out but the latency was simply not to be overcome - its just too bad. I tried the ASIO drivers again and tweaked just about everything and I still get some artifacts somewhere in addition to the lag.

No lag, no artifacts going headphone out to line-in and using the WAV driver set in Repaer. I had to switch between 48khz and 44.1khz (line / USB) but I got the tracks recorded. That's too bad ... I think it really is decorative at this point. What a let down.

On the plus side, it sounds WAY better than the Vypyr 15 at volume ... really loud and tight. Can't beat the price, so, I can record and still jam over a drum kit ... if I need tubes, it will be Fender HR Deluxe + MXR pedals.

If anyone comes up with a solution please let me know ...
Guitars: 2006 ESP Quilt-top LTD with Floyd Rose tremolo | 1999 Fender Stratocaster (Seymour Duncan Pups)
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Python- Limited 500 | Peavey Vypyr 15 | Peavey Vypyr 75
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffersononetwo

gildur

Post by gildur » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:44 am

BUMP!

Hey guys!
Anyone solved this problem?

Today I tried connecting my Vypyr 75 to my PC via USB. All worked fine but, as many others implies, the latency is unbareable! I probably got between 200-300ms latency. I think I've tried everything I managed to google up, nothing works. Now, a feature with USB recording wouldnt be very much of a feature if it doesnt work, would it?

Peavey: come up with something or remove the output to save us the frustration imho.

SixStringSling

Post by SixStringSling » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:39 am

I don't know how I missed this thread.... perhaps it is b/c I just "gave up" on the USB feature long ago.

The good: I can record with the stero cable/line out, and it sounds pretty good.

The bad: I made a decision when looking at amps to purchase the 75 b/c of the USB feature(s). WTH!!!??? I feel "mislead".

Oh well. What happened to the guy that started this thread I wonder? I'm guessing he either figured it out, or gave up as well.... of course his signature claims a V120, maybe the music store felt bad for him and agreed to let him keep/buy/pay the difference on the 120?

ETA: Jefferson_one... I went back and listened to some of your YT covers, man the V75 sounds good with the Strat.

Peace,
sss
~ 01 Peavey Wolfgang USA
~ Vintage Strat SSS
~ Dlx QMT Strat HSS
~ Vyper 75 ~ Sanpera II
~ http://www.youtube.com/user/mrdowntown?feature=mhum ~

gildur

Post by gildur » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:36 am

Seems like I just wasted money on a USB cable then, and I have to go buy a headphone m/m one to be able to record from the amp.

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:04 am

Never tried the usb to record, but I do use the headphone out jack to record, and it works great. In order to hear it while recording, pull the jack out and just let it be where it makes its first stop. YOu will be able to hear it and your machine will too. Works great. USB is for computers, not music, IMHO. I dont hear many recordings made with USB's that sound like amps, at least not at the home level. But I am old school, using a hard drive recorder, not a computer.
Dalrymple

Stryker57

Post by Stryker57 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:57 am

Main reason I got the 75 over the 30w head was the USB, I figured it would be great to have a fast easy way to record my practice jams cause i almost always get into a groove and never can remember later what i did, plus if it was decent I could easily email a clip to the rest of the band so they could judge it.

lol its been 3mos and I havent took the time to do it yet. If i ever figure it out and actually do it, I'll post back.

razzmire

Post by razzmire » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:31 pm

gildur wrote:BUMP!

Hey guys!
Anyone solved this problem?

Today I tried connecting my Vypyr 75 to my PC via USB. All worked fine but, as many others implies, the latency is unbareable! I probably got between 200-300ms latency. I think I've tried everything I managed to google up, nothing works. Now, a feature with USB recording wouldnt be very much of a feature if it doesnt work, would it?

Peavey: come up with something or remove the output to save us the frustration imho.
r u guys talking about latencey from amp to computer or latency from what you hear when u moitor the recording/ if its what you hear wen you record. just turn upp the input in windows mixer.
[Peavey 6505+ stack - Toaster Mod 15chEQ in loop]
[1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom - silverburst]
[ESP LTD EC-1000 VB - EMG 81/60 - 18v Mod]
[Parker PDF30]
[Ibanez Artcore Deluxe - Natural]

gildur

Post by gildur » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:52 am

razzmire wrote:
r u guys talking about latencey from amp to computer or latency from what you hear when u moitor the recording/ if its what you hear wen you record. just turn upp the input in windows mixer.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the latency I am ralking about is the sound from the speakers in my PC coming somewhat later than the moment I pluck the string on my guitar, recording or not.

Oh yes, by the way, yesterday I did experience the same crunch-sound issue that also has been a topic in this thread. After about 15-20 sec of recording, the sound get all crunchy.

I have contacted Peavey about the latency to see if this is a solvable problem, though the customer service is closed until 5:th jan.

WashburnTabu

Post by WashburnTabu » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:08 pm

gildur wrote:
razzmire wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the latency I am ralking about is the sound from the speakers in my PC coming somewhat later than the moment I pluck the string on my guitar, recording or not.

Oh yes, by the way, yesterday I did experience the same crunch-sound issue that also has been a topic in this thread. After about 15-20 sec of recording, the sound get all crunchy.

I have contacted Peavey about the latency to see if this is a solvable problem, though the customer service is closed until 5:th jan.
The latency is in your computer/software, follow the above posts suggestions. If your cpu is'nt fast enough you will never get rid of the latency. When recording, use the headphones to monitor your playing from the amp while using the usb for recording on your pc. If you are playing a backing track from your pc, you may be out of sync.
A good dedicated sound card won't have this problem, which is why the headphone line out to the soundcard mic in works so well. The vypyr's dsp (digital signal) goes to an a/d (anolog/digital) converter (slight conversion loss), then to the head phone out, then to the sound card mic in (slight analog loss) and through the sound cards analog/digital (loss again) circuitry, if any.
The usb function would eliminate A/D loss's and allow the digital signal from the vypy's dsp to go straight to the pc's dsp software for manipulation/effects. The latency comes from the pc's effects and signal manipulation and any latency in the sound card before the speakers.
My name is WT, and I approve this opinion.

Duker63

Post by Duker63 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Stryker57 wrote: I figured it would be great to have a fast easy way to record my practice jams cause i almost always get into a groove and never can remember later what i did, .
Number 1 reason im trying to get this to work
Sounds Great with the USB
But while connected via USB my speaker is muted
If I use the Headphone line out simultaneously I can monitor
what im playing without lag
2006 Schecter Hellraiser c-1 fr
Ibanez SR4
Ibaznez Gio
Peavey tube 120
digitech RP350

jefferson_one

Post by jefferson_one » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:26 pm

... no solutions for the USB yet. I have a desktop computer with 8GB memory, Sound Blaster PCI-e THX Pro card, i5-760 @ 3.3GHZ, two 1TB Caviar Black WD drives ... it's a good PC.

Turning up the mixer's line input does nothing to solve latency issues -- and the crackling, I know exactly what you are talking about. One thing you can try to do is lower/increase the number and size of buffers (which will affect the latency) but it never goes away.

Like others here, line-out from the amp to line in (in my case, an RCA gold input on a sound card rather than motherboard) and choose WAV instead of ASIO. That will work with no lagging.

I too bought the 75 for the "Cabinet Simulated USB Output" but it is just not manageable. I use a Monster Cable 1/8in to RCA currently.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffersononetwo

You can hear the recordings here if you want too - I'm not that good but it works. I wish there was a fix -- really SUX!
Guitars: 2006 ESP Quilt-top LTD with Floyd Rose tremolo | 1999 Fender Stratocaster (Seymour Duncan Pups)
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Python- Limited 500 | Peavey Vypyr 15 | Peavey Vypyr 75

gildur

Post by gildur » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:23 am

WashburnTabu wrote:
gildur wrote:
razzmire wrote:

The latency is in your computer/software, follow the above posts suggestions. If your cpu is'nt fast enough you will never get rid of the latency. When recording, use the headphones to monitor your playing from the amp while using the usb for recording on your pc. If you are playing a backing track from your pc, you may be out of sync.
A good dedicated sound card won't have this problem, which is why the headphone line out to the soundcard mic in works so well. The vypyr's dsp (digital signal) goes to an a/d (anolog/digital) converter (slight conversion loss), then to the head phone out, then to the sound card mic in (slight analog loss) and through the sound cards analog/digital (loss again) circuitry, if any.
The usb function would eliminate A/D loss's and allow the digital signal from the vypy's dsp to go straight to the pc's dsp software for manipulation/effects. The latency comes from the pc's effects and signal manipulation and any latency in the sound card before the speakers.
My CPU is fast enough and the sound cards I have tried this on is fast and dedicated enough for this kind of operation, believe me. It's not that.

The use of headphones does not solve the latency problem I have. I know, it gets rid of the symptoms, but the problem persists.

The ad/da-losses you talk about... I do have a fairly good understanding of how digital and analog signal conversion works. The losses you're talking about is not causing this latency, that's for sure. We're talking 200-300ms of latency, it's just not likely.

Actually, jefferson_one knows what I'm talking about. (Thanks for the WAV advice btw).
And even if we put the latency problem aside for a moment, I still have the crackling sounds coming up after some time of recording.

So.... in conclusion: Until the USB issues are fixed I'll have to do like jefferson_one.

jefferson_one

Post by jefferson_one » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:54 pm

... exactly - I had a really old AMD XP 3000+ CPU and recorded half or more of my videos with that computer and the Vypyr line-out: the USB would not work right.

I upgraded everything to the Intel i5 & 8GB of RAM I mentioned above, used the native ASIO drivers of the Creative Labs sound card (the Pro THX version has an ASIO tab in software for more flexibility) and even updated to version 2 of ASIO4All. Nothing helps the USB out on the Peavey - even a 3.3GHz Intel i5 and new Asus motherboard with lots of fast RAM.

I have tweaked the ASIO4All buffers, tweaked the Soundblaster settings and still cannot overcome that 'lag' ... I think it is something inherent to the output from the amp :(

Line-out + WAV rather than ASIO is the only clean solution ... and it works, just not like it was advertised to.

WashburnTabu

Post by WashburnTabu » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:57 pm

As Sherlock Holmes said, "After eliminating the probable, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the answer".
My name is WT, and I approve this opinion.

djsranger

Post by djsranger » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:53 pm

I have a Vypyr Tube 60 and the USB works fine (other than the fact that I can't monitor the recording through the amp which even my old Roland Cube 30 could do). I record it using Sony Acid Pro and the Vypyr USB was automatically detected as a microphone input (even picked it up by the Vypyr name) using the standard Windows drivers. One thing you may want to try is to update the firmware in the amp from the Peavey website. A lot of people forget to check for those updates and they tend to fix a lot of bugs. I have not had any problems other than some feedback issues on the overdriven channels.