Problem recording Vypyr 75

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Duker63

Re: Problem recording Vypyr 75

Post by Duker63 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:09 am

jefferson_one wrote: http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blas ... 1OUA38.htm

I use the Pro line of card above with the 3.5mm (1/8in) LINEOUT with a Monster Cable 3.5mm-to-RCA adapter cable. I monitor from my sound-card: not the amp & not the software, though I could. I get < 12ms and have no issues but I can't use the USB out for anything.
I Was in Beast Buy yesterday Salivating over this card. Does it work any better. Is it worth the price?
2006 Schecter Hellraiser c-1 fr
Ibanez SR4
Ibaznez Gio
Peavey tube 120
digitech RP350

Drakot

Post by Drakot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:56 am

I don't if this will help but i think the usb quality is damn bad. the output is better imo.

and one of the reasons why i bought this amp were that it had USB and now i dont use it

ole6string

Post by ole6string » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:45 am

Just did some messing with my Tube 60 USB out for fun in Reaper. Here is what I found. First off I think any amp sounds way better mic'd than direct so that is how I record my Vypyr but I wanted to make sure the USB worked for updates etc....

I plugged the Vypyr in and it was immediately recogized by Windows 7. Like many have stated it does not show up as an Asio device but I selected direct sound and there it was. The output is so I hot that is what is causing the distortion I believe but for the short time I had I could not find a place in windows to turn the volume of the device down. Perhaps someone can chime in. If you can back the volume down in the computer somewhere I believe you would be able to get usable tones. You can back your guitar volume down but that obviously changes the tone.

Now as far as monitoring on asio devices you can monitor right through the device. That does not appear to be the case. You can hear your original signal but not the playback of the recorded mix. The only way I could find to do this was to monitor playback through the speakers which is less than optimal.

Perhaps we could hear from Peavey on how to actually set this up properly for it to work for you guys. Perhaps step by step instructions or better yet and asio driver. I think an asio driver like you find on every other usb device would solve these issues.

coltzer

Post by coltzer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:36 pm

I have the VYPYR 60 and had the same distortion, but a little mucking arund in control panel and i think ive potentially solved this for everyone. I'm running windows 7-32bit on a desktop pc, 6gb of ram (not all used cause its 32bit though) and an Intel q9550 2.83ghz recording into audacity. I plugged in the usb cable and it recognised immediately, went into audacity, and recorded with it, only for it to be excessively loud and distorted. I tried the trick of plugging in the headphone jack with a male - male lead into my mic input, and that recorded clearly, but that would mean no headphone monitoring (unless using a splitter). I went back to the usb and tried turning the recording volume down in audacity, but that only turned the volume down post record, and thus the distortion remained. I found the trick to be is to turn the recording volume down through windows devices.

HERES HOW ITS DONE (in Windows 7):

> Hit the start button

> click devices and printer (control panel, then hardware and sound, then devices and printers for the long route)

> at the bottom there should be a 'USB Composite device'

> right click it and click 'Sound Settings' at the top of the list

> go to the second tab called 'Recording'

> there should be a microphone device somewhere in the list that says 'VYPYR USB Interface' as a sub heading under one of the devices

> double click that device, and rename it in this dialog if you wish, it will remember the name even if you unplug it and plug it back in

> click the third tab 'Levels'

> this is where you turn the devices volume down in the system, lower it from 100 to 10 by dragging the slider. This i've found was just as clear sounding as using the microphone jack method others have mentioned.

Let me know if this method helps anyone, the method should be similar in Vista and XP.

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:37 pm

Hey coltzer. Thanks for the post. I have been assumng that this was the solution to all the whining and bit%c#ng here. Not having a USB on either of my Vypyrs (but on a lot of other equipment around the place) it seemed emperical that this was what needed to be done.

beerguitar69

Post by beerguitar69 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:48 am

I use the USB into my Mac with no delay or distortion. Works perfectly. Record with Garageband with excellent results.

Travis

razzmire

Post by razzmire » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:58 am

beerguitar69 wrote:I use the USB into my Mac with no delay or distortion. Works perfectly. Record with Garageband with excellent results.

Travis
mac/apple+garageband = no delay/latency. man i never wanted mac. always a pc guy but now that im coming into this passion for music. i really wish i had a mac.

luckily the rythym guitarist/lead singer in my band has one. so thatll work for full band rercords.

jus tsucks that i cant really record at home. latency is hard to fix in edit mode too. :roll:
[Peavey 6505+ stack - Toaster Mod 15chEQ in loop]
[1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom - silverburst]
[ESP LTD EC-1000 VB - EMG 81/60 - 18v Mod]
[Parker PDF30]
[Ibanez Artcore Deluxe - Natural]