Problem recording Vypyr 75

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
Duker63

Re: Problem recording Vypyr 75

Post by Duker63 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:36 pm

Only way i get this to work is USB from amp to computer
Monitor from amp
If I try to monitor what im playing from the computer i get 185 ms of lag
i would rather just monitor direct from the map
But with the USB plugged in thats impossible
2006 Schecter Hellraiser c-1 fr
Ibanez SR4
Ibaznez Gio
Peavey tube 120
digitech RP350

jefferson_one

Post by jefferson_one » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:08 am

djsranger wrote:I have a Vypyr Tube 60 and the USB works fine (other than the fact that I can't monitor the recording through the amp which even my old Roland Cube 30 could do). I record it using Sony Acid Pro and the Vypyr USB was automatically detected as a microphone input (even picked it up by the Vypyr name) using the standard Windows drivers. One thing you may want to try is to update the firmware in the amp from the Peavey website. A lot of people forget to check for those updates and they tend to fix a lot of bugs. I have not had any problems other than some feedback issues on the overdriven channels.
I record with REAPER software and it has the ability to select three types of 'monitoring' modes - the only true 'zero latency' is when you plug headphones into the amp, M-Audio, or whatever device you may be using. The Vypyr has a headphone out ... can you not use that? I'm not sure exactly what you mean that the Roland would do it --- if you used an mp3 player of some kind and fed into the Roland Aux-in or the Peavey & used the headphone out you would hear the music & the guitar.

I am guessing you have a USB-to-Midi adapter able to be able to update the Peavey firmware? Mine does not crash or lock-up with the default firmware and I don't have a cable to upgrade with. I would like to know of a person who had latency issues and found that they were solved with a firmware update - that would be the best news!
Guitars: 2006 ESP Quilt-top LTD with Floyd Rose tremolo | 1999 Fender Stratocaster (Seymour Duncan Pups)
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Python- Limited 500 | Peavey Vypyr 15 | Peavey Vypyr 75
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffersononetwo

Doom15

Post by Doom15 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:55 pm

yeah I haven't tried recording with the USB port because of so many critics...

However Peavey never said that the USB output had studio quality, they said that the headphones/rec out has studio quality!!

do I need to say more, just get a male to male 1/8" cable and connect the headphone output to the mic input of your PC and, if there's lag when you activate playback, just use a splitter and connect your headphones in one socket and the male to male cable in the other...

I'm currently waiting on my cable to arrive (it's hard to find one in portugal :? ) I'll let you know how it goes when I have it!

razzmire

Post by razzmire » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Duker63 wrote:Only way i get this to work is USB from amp to computer
Monitor from amp

u can monitor with headphones while in usb cant you?
[Peavey 6505+ stack - Toaster Mod 15chEQ in loop]
[1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom - silverburst]
[ESP LTD EC-1000 VB - EMG 81/60 - 18v Mod]
[Parker PDF30]
[Ibanez Artcore Deluxe - Natural]

Duker63

Post by Duker63 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:27 pm

razzmire wrote:
Duker63 wrote:Only way i get this to work is USB from amp to computer
Monitor from amp

u can monitor with headphones while in usb cant you?
Headphones yes from speakers no
Ibanez SR4
Ibaznez Gio
Peavey tube 120
digitech RP350

gildur

Post by gildur » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:36 am

I never asked for studio quality. I just want to record what I play on my guitar through the amp, but that's impossible with all the lag and crunchy noises.

Look. I KNOW I can use the headphones as a workaround to the lag, but I want it to work without having to tinker around with cables all over the room. And even IF I use this workaround, the sound gets messed up for some reason.

Vypyr 75 USB outlet:
Bought a cable for it, tried it, got lag. Sound gets crappy after some time of recording.

Vypyr 75 Headphones outlet:
When the USB outlet didnt work, I went to buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm male-male cable and tried that. The lag is still there. Sound is crappy all the time now though. And by crappy I dont mean bad quality, I mean frequent spikes of crunchy noises.

Notes:
  • *I tested both the USB outlet and the headphones outlet on both of my sound cards on my desktop AND on my laptop. Same result on all three.
  • *I have got the latest drivers for everything (except the Vypyr, as that requires even more special cables that I dont have)
  • *My PC is fast enough.
  • *My Sound cards are all good enough.
I'm going to try to borrow a POD from a friend to see if that's working correctly, and if it is, I'm gonna give up on the idea of trying to record stuff from my Vypyr.

Duker63

Post by Duker63 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Doom15 wrote:However Peavey never said that the USB output had studio quality, they said that the headphones/rec out has studio quality!!
The VYPYR also acts as its own computer audio interface, with a built-in studio-quality USB 2.0 output on most models that is recognized by computers as an audio device. The entire six-model VYPYR Series features the easy-to-use Peavey WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) interface.

ACTUALLY
They did
Ibanez SR4
Ibaznez Gio
Peavey tube 120
digitech RP350

razzmire

Post by razzmire » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:59 pm

why does everybody so focused on recording direct in! lol just mic it. thats the way to go.
[Parker PDF30]

Duker63

Post by Duker63 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:52 am

razzmire wrote:why does everybody so focused on recording direct in! lol just mic it. thats the way to go.
SO why didnt peavey include a Mic with the amp then?
Ibanez SR4
Ibaznez Gio
Peavey tube 120
digitech RP350

razzmire

Post by razzmire » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:23 am

$$ is the reason :roll:
[Parker PDF30]

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:54 am

!?!?!?!?!
Dalrymple

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:19 pm

Vypyr 75 USB outlet:
Bought a cable for it, tried it, got lag. Sound gets crappy after some time of recording.

When the USB outlet didnt work, I went to buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm male-male cable and tried that. The lag is still there. Sound is crappy all the time now though. And by crappy I dont mean bad quality, I mean frequent spikes of crunchy noises.
If your second statement here is accurate, it clearly indicates that there is a problem with how your computer is configured. The audio signal fed to the headphone jack is the same siginal that is fed to the power amplifier - speakers (look at the schematics). If you overdrive an A to D converter you don't get distortion - you get frequent spikes, crunchy noises, and delay artifacts from overflow.

Overdriving the AD converter will cause dropouts - resulting in real bad latency.

By the way, feedback in a USB audio interface can also sound like the problem you are describing. Are you 'monitoring' audio back into your USB input? This does not always sound like audio feedback.

Try cutting back your PC microphone gain for the Vypyr (by a bunch). It is possible that the circuit feeding the TAS1020a is overdriving the converter, but you would not hear that on the headphone output. If you were only experiencing this with the USB it could be a problem with the DA converter in the amp.

It is generally acceptable to record solid state amplifiers using a line level output from the amplifier, but to properly record a vacum tube amplifier you need to mike the speaker cabinet. Read Uncle HP's white paper on trans-tube technology. He has a very solid explanation of why you want to record this way.

jefferson_one

Post by jefferson_one » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:29 pm

Doom15 wrote:yeah I haven't tried recording with the USB port because of so many critics...

However Peavey never said that the USB output had studio quality, they said that the headphones/rec out has studio quality!!
The Peavey website says "Studio quality headphone out" ... Guitar Center says "Studio-quality headphone output & Studio-quality USB computer interface" ... the owner's manual says "We really spent a lot of time making sure the headphone jack was studio quality, and because of that with the proper adapters you can use this output for recording. Don't worry, the (USB) output is microphone/cabinet simulated and will sound great right into your computer". Does not apply to the VYPYR 15 or 30.

I was hoping to use the cabinet simulated USB to record with - too bad it doesn't work well.
Guitars: 2006 ESP Quilt-top LTD with Floyd Rose tremolo | 1999 Fender Stratocaster (Seymour Duncan Pups)
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Python- Limited 500 | Peavey Vypyr 15 | Peavey Vypyr 75

jefferson_one

Post by jefferson_one » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:44 pm

gildur wrote:I never asked for studio quality. I just want to record what I play on my guitar through the amp, but that's impossible with all the lag and crunchy noises.

Vypyr 75 USB outlet:

I'm going to try to borrow a POD from a friend to see if that's working correctly, and if it is, I'm gonna give up on the idea of trying to record stuff from my Vypyr.
I know what you are talking about ... you get these artifacts that crackle at specific intervals of time - it comes down to latency & buffer size. I don't have any problems using the LINE OUT & having my sound-card set to 48KHz sampling rate (my DAW set to the same). I've done 44.1KHz too but the crazy noise can be dealt with somewhat by adjusting the buffer size. Most people use ASIO4ALL drivers because they can edit settings but your DAW may allow some too. You can change the NUMBER of buffers and the SIZE of the buffers -- the product of both of those parameters contributes to the system latency.

I somewhat agree with the one guy who said it sounds like a computer settings issue, but on the other hand, I simply cannot configure my 3.3GHz/8GB Ram system to make it stop -- haven't ever seen a post where someone else has either, else I would attempt to replicate their setup. So, I think it still has something to do with the VYPYR USB output.

I don't think Windows allows the deeper setting adjustments of sound-card parameters (an most people these days do not even have one - they use motherboard sound) ... you would likely need the ASIO4ALL drivers to try.

http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blas ... 1OUA38.htm

I use the Pro line of card above with the 3.5mm (1/8in) LINEOUT with a Monster Cable 3.5mm-to-RCA adapter cable. I monitor from my sound-card: not the amp & not the software, though I could. I get < 12ms and have no issues but I can't use the USB out for anything.

gcolbert

Post by gcolbert » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:01 pm

I somewhat agree with the one guy who said it sounds like a computer settings issue, but on the other hand, I simply cannot configure my 3.3GHz/8GB Ram system to make it stop -- haven't ever seen a post where someone else has either, else I would attempt to replicate their setup. So, I think it still has something to do with the VYPYR USB output.
If you aren't getting the noise problem that is being described when playing through the Vypyr's speaker it is probably not showing up on the headphone jack (read the schematics). This could be verified by listening to your playing through a pair of headphones plugged into the headphone jack on your Vypyr. If you don't hear it with either of these setups it can only be your computer (or the sound card in your computer). If the noise isn't coming out of the amplifier then it is coming from (???you figure it out??)

If you do hear this through the speakers and headphones with the USB attached and your computer talking over the USB then you are probably feeding the siginal back out of your computer and into the Vypyr causing feedback. If you unplug the USB cable and it goes away you must be introducing the noise to the Vypyr from your computer. Configure your computer differently.

It dosen't matter if your computer has a 4Ghz Xenon processor or a 386DX. If you overdrive the A to D converter (on the motherboard chipset soundcard or on an add-in sound card) you are going to get strange noises and dropouts.