Problem recording Vypyr 75

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
buggy

Re: Problem recording Vypyr 75

Post by buggy » Wed May 27, 2009 9:12 pm

IMHO, the headphone out sounds every bit as good as the xlr coming out of my Marshall JVM head. I've been recording that way for the last 2 months with no hitches and the band has no idea I'm using the vypyr 75 instead of the JVM. I can't believe the usb could sound that much better, IMHO.

twangler

Post by twangler » Thu May 28, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks, buggy. I'll have to go that route I guess. So what do you use the USB for? Kind of makes the amp look modern but it's still mere decoration to me. Line6 and Zoom seem to have actual uses for USB. Why doesn't Peavey address this shortcoming, Roger?

alexvdl

Post by alexvdl » Fri May 29, 2009 5:12 am

Well today i thought I'd give the usb output on my Vypyr 100 a try. I plugged a USB cable from the output to the USB in of my Asus Eee pc 901 minilaptop. I recorded something with the standard windows soundrecorder and evertything worked just fine. No hickups or crackling noises. One thing though... I think it's mono, because I only had sound on the left when I played back my recording. Could it be the USB cable?

Terbo

Post by Terbo » Fri May 29, 2009 9:11 am

alexvdl wrote:Well today i thought I'd give the usb output on my Vypyr 100 a try. I plugged a USB cable from the output to the USB in of my Asus Eee pc 901 minilaptop. I recorded something with the standard windows soundrecorder and evertything worked just fine. No hickups or crackling noises. One thing though... I think it's mono, because I only had sound on the left when I played back my recording. Could it be the USB cable?
As far as I know the Vypyr only sends out a mono signal through either the 1/8" jack or USB. When using the 1/8" I'm pretty sure it just sends the same signal to both channels (left & right)
-Brett

\m/ Main Gear \m/
Ibanez RG321MH #2 w/DiMarzios
Peavey Vypyr 30 - Fangless

gjnance

Post by gjnance » Fri May 29, 2009 12:16 pm

I thought I'd chime in here on this thread, and thanks for the great info so far everyone that's contributed. I'm on my second Vypyr 75 and decided today to plug it into my computer to try a few quick recordings via GarageBand and Audacity, and this was the result. Sounds like the same issue others are experiencing. The second clip has a few seconds without playing at the end, which still sounds very poor.

http://www.gnance.com/greg/go/Vypyr75_Audacity.mp3
http://www.gnance.com/greg/go/Vypyr75_GarageBand.mp3

I'm still in denial that I may have to take back my second one of these amps to Guitar Center (especially when I got such a good price on it - $235!), but it sounds like that's what's going to have to happen.

Niavlys77 - Did you get the one Vypyr that they had with the good USB port on it, and if so, how are your recordings sounding now?

Greg

Niavlys77

Post by Niavlys77 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:54 pm

gjnance wrote:I thought I'd chime in here on this thread, and thanks for the great info so far everyone that's contributed. I'm on my second Vypyr 75 and decided today to plug it into my computer to try a few quick recordings via GarageBand and Audacity, and this was the result. Sounds like the same issue others are experiencing. The second clip has a few seconds without playing at the end, which still sounds very poor.

http://www.gnance.com/greg/go/Vypyr75_Audacity.mp3
http://www.gnance.com/greg/go/Vypyr75_GarageBand.mp3

I'm still in denial that I may have to take back my second one of these amps to Guitar Center (especially when I got such a good price on it - $235!), but it sounds like that's what's going to have to happen.

Niavlys77 - Did you get the one Vypyr that they had with the good USB port on it, and if so, how are your recordings sounding now?

Greg
Yup my second one had a good USB port on it. It sounded great, just like the 120w Vypyr I'm borrowing from the store right now. But when I brought that one home and tried my Sanpera pedal with it, it just died (we tried the USB port on that Vypyr before I took it home). Which is why I'm borrowing the stores 120w Vypyr now.

If you want to hear what it should sound like, go to
http://geronigroove.free.fr/vypyr/?choice=select
and the setting I put up there "Awesome Metal Tone" was recorded through the USB.

Oh and the Vypyr I had with the defective USB sounded the same as yours. I would recommend bringing that thing back for sure. From my experience all the 75w ones have some sort of defect lately though so I'm almost positive any other brand new ones they'd have in stock won't be any good (either USB out or MIDI connection for pedal with be bad).
Guitar: Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (Lefty)
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 120

nothingleft09

Post by nothingleft09 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:27 pm

I just got my Vypyr 75 and god the latency is horrible. I'm using an Acer Aspire 5517 laptop with an AMD Athlon TF-20 processor and 3gigs ram. I think i got one of the bad batch usb's. :(
Schecter Blackjack ATX w/Duncan Blackouts
Jackson Dinky Reverse w/Dimarzio's
Peavey Vypyr 75

jitterdigits

Post by jitterdigits » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:07 pm

I'm no expert, but latency and crackle problems scream driver issues.

If the vypyr uses windows' standard driver, it seems it would be possible to switch that to ASIO.

vypman

Post by vypman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:22 pm

I have the vypyr 30 with no usb port but this sure sounds like a driver issue,i just bought the behringer u-control uca202 usb audio interface and it says no drivers needed but if i use the default usb driver i get quite a bit of latency,so i downloaded the asio universal usb drivers from behringers web site and installed them into my computer,these drivers work and i get no latency but after recording two or more stereo tracks in (kristal audio),i get get the distorted crackley audio with these drivers,so i then had to go back to my default usb driver and have to deal with the latency problems again but kristal audio makes it real easy to move your audio track so that it is in sync with my other tracks,if anyone else can help us all understand more about asio usb drivers and the best way to install them to work better in our software audio recording programs please let everyone know?

drieg

Post by drieg » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:28 pm

Crackle problems could be caused by ground loop. Try to record with laptop running on battery. If the crackle sound disappears, ground loop is to blame...

Captain Ezy

Post by Captain Ezy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:24 am

drieg wrote:Crackle problems could be caused by ground loop. Try to record with laptop running on battery. If the crackle sound disappears, ground loop is to blame...

You can also use a 3 prong to 2 prong electric adapter on the laptop. This will get rid of the noise.
Captain Ezy

Peavey Vypyr 75
Peavey Sanpera II
Peavey Classic 100
Peavey 300 Keyboard Amp
G&L ASAT Special
Fender Coronada II
Guild Acoustic/Electric
G&L L1000 bass

nothingleft09

Post by nothingleft09 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:09 pm

All of my crackle/sound problems have been on my laptop running on the battery. So that isn't it. I also used the ASIO drivers from ASIO4all.com and the latency went down a bit using Audactity. I use my Vypyr 75 with a usb2.0 cable with my laptop out running into the Input of the amp and my headphones running on the amp. So i only get latency when i try to multitrack with it. Sooo... i got rid of my laptop and bought a new one. It has An Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz processor with a 2mb L2 Cache and 4gb of ram at 800mhz. So it's double the specs of my old laptop. So we will see how that runs and i'll update you guys when i get it. Should be about a week or so.
Peavey Vypyr 75

FaceMan

Post by FaceMan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:28 am

I had a motherboard with built in SB 32bit but it died recently i had to use a very old SoundBlaster Live.
When i tried to use USB with Keyboard the latency was really bad. Lot of popping and crackling. I had to push the latency up to 75 which was very slow.

the ASIO Offline settings should look something like this ^
In the list you should see the Vyper and some sliders.

Im hoping to try this later in the week and Ill post back if i have some success.

nothingleft09

Post by nothingleft09 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:06 pm

Well guys, i got my new laptop and have ZERO problems using my Vypyr to record AND multi-track with Audacity. I haven't tried reaper yet cuz, well... i don't use it. lol Now if it will just work with Windows 7 in 2 weeks. :shock:
Peavey Vypyr 75

jefferson_one

Post by jefferson_one » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Hey guys -

First post here, but have been reading & looking around ... I've got a Fender HR Deluxe Limited Edition Python and a Peavey Vyper 15 ... the Vyper sounded so good to my ears I went about bought another - the Vypyr 75.

I've been recording using the line-out on the Vyper 15 & Reaper software so I try the 75 with the USB out ... hmmm ... the problem is kind of the same: I can record good quality for about 30 seconds then this 'crackling' sound starts for about 10 seconds then it will go away if I keep on playing. I am wondering if other people just quit as soon as they hear that? Seems like a buffer problem or something? Not to mention that the latency is not good :(

I have the ASIO drivers installed too ... in Reaper, the best way I can make this work is to use the WAV driver out setting - I have recorded maybe 30 YouTube covers doing this with the line-out on the Vyper 15 and it seems to work just as well on the Vypyr 75 also. But I, like the others, want to use the USB 'studio' out ... but the latency - arrgghh!!! Brand new USB cable ... if I don't use ASIO drivers and just go with WAV (48000 samples) I can get it to work ... mono - if you turn on the PCI sound card AND use the monitor feature within Reaper, you get this vast soundstage/reverb effect that might be tricking the ears to think it (USB) sounds better than the old line-out. I'm just not sure.

Has anyone finally sat down and played with the line-out, USB, ASIO, WAV, and sampling (44100 or 48000) and figured out the best way to go? I appreciate the help!

Jeff
Guitars: 2006 ESP Quilt-top LTD with Floyd Rose tremolo | 1999 Fender Stratocaster (Seymour Duncan Pups)
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Python- Limited 500 | Peavey Vypyr 15 | Peavey Vypyr 75
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffersononetwo