Updates about Mk IV

ReValver product discussion. This is a user-to-user forum, and not product support.

Moderators: Michael Ljunggren, ReValver Support Team

Michael Ljunggren

Updates about Mk IV

Post by Michael Ljunggren » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:40 am

Hi,
While you are downloading the latest updates for Mk III, HP, HPSE, MK III.V let me take some of your time updating you on Mk IV as well.

I know a lot of you are excited about the next generation. I am too!

The earlier generations, from Mk II up to III.V was using a GUI library called wxWidgets which has served us reasonably well. It's now obvious that it is not as future proof as many other technologies available to us. wxWidgets is one reason that the current versions will never have 64 bit mac versions, which is very sad.

That's why we decided to switch to another backbone. This mean we will have to rewrite a lot of the functionality from scratch. That's not all bad because it gives us the chance to add things we didn't have before. Unfortunately it also means the development of Mk IV will take a lot of time.

But rest assured - it's gonna be GREAT. I wish I could talk about all the new stuff, but I just can't.

Beta testing is still some time away, but feature requests are very welcomed! I would recommend you send all requests directly to my email. Thanks in advance!
/Michael Ljunggren, Senior Software Engineer, Peavey Electronics
For personal messages, please do not PM me, send me an email and I'll try to answer right away! :-)
Please us this address: mljunggren (that sign in the middle) peavey-eu.com

DaleVishay

Re: Updates about Mk IV

Post by DaleVishay » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:29 am

Good news at least there is a light in the tunnel :D
I will drown you with a big list for features request (not any amp request btw).
Also some ideas about modeling :twisted:

Thanks for the heads up.

Michael Ljunggren

Post by Michael Ljunggren » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:56 pm

DaleVishay wrote:Good news at least there is a light in the tunnel :D
I will drown you with a big list for features request (not any amp request btw).
Also some ideas about modeling :twisted:

Thanks for the heads up.
Brilliant. You got my address :-)
For personal messages, please do not PM me, send me an email and I'll try to answer right away! :-)

- Dalton -

Post by - Dalton - » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:51 am

Great News Michael , Will mail you through the Week :)

Richard

silhouette

Post by silhouette » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:51 am

It's certainly got my vote.
Can't wait!
Fender EJ Strat - Fender MIJ Strat - Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4 + 175 - 3x Musicman Silhouettes - Intel i7 64bit - 3.2 x 6 - 12 gig RAM - Windows 7 - RME Fireface UC - ATI Radeon HD 5400 - Cubase 7.5 -UAD Solo + Duo - Mackie HR824

spiralsurfer

Post by spiralsurfer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Great to hear Michael, really looking forward to Mk IV!

DaleVishay

Post by DaleVishay » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:18 pm

I have sent my first bunch of features ( I counted 23 of them :D ) list and modeling idea concept.

mba64

Post by mba64 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:52 am

Great News Michael
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2015
Cort Bass
Fluid F5
Presonus Audiobox iOne
Studio One 3

Windows 10 x64
Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3,2Ghz, 12GB RAM
Peavey ReValver Support

Elric

Post by Elric » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks for posting here, Michael. We know you're working your butt off, but we do miss the regular forum updates! Please keep feeding us dedicated Revalver users the info, so we can keep the faith!

One thing I would like for 4 is the ability to designate an alternate cab Ir directory. Under windows, I have my IRs in:

/Users/<username>/Documents/Revalver Presets/Impulses/Cabinets/<subdirectories>

I don't like having a bunch of data in "Program Files" so I do not put them in the revalver program directory. That is not a user data space in windows and it seems to slow revalver to a crawl when I do put a lot of stuff there (some of us have HUGE cab collections). Also, I load IRs into other programs so I don't want other programs digging into Program Files either.

Anyway, every time I load an IR, I can get to "Documents" quickly via the file selector but then I have to navigate that entire hierarchy (and some of my cab collections have a couple of levels below (mics types/sample rates/etc). It makes it much more painful than it needs to be.

Seems like Revalver needs a standard user data space in "Documents" like most other windows applications. Then the user could set the path and have a button on RIR to load from the user cab area which would start from the base location they've specified. Then the user only has to navigate the cab dirs and their hierarchy.

Anyway, its something to consider I guess since a lot of stuff will be re-architected.

One other note wrt to user interface since it's likely to change, if at all possible, please keep RV skinnable that is the COOLEST feature around! I LOVE making skins and checking out others' work in that dept!

Michael Ljunggren

Post by Michael Ljunggren » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Elric wrote:...

One thing I would like for 4 is the ability to designate an alternate cab Ir directory. Under windows, I have my IRs in:

/Users/<username>/Documents/Revalver Presets/Impulses/Cabinets/<subdirectories>
Mk IV will not write user data in the Program Files directory. That has caused much problems for users.

Michael Ljunggren

Post by Michael Ljunggren » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Elric wrote: One other note wrt to user interface since it's likely to change, if at all possible, please keep RV skinnable that is the COOLEST feature around! I LOVE making skins and checking out others' work in that dept!
Amps and skins will have an entirely different structure in Mk IV, but I think skinning will be available even then, of a sort.

kakanner

Post by kakanner » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:30 am

may I suggest the obvious mark IIc+, mesa studio preamp or mark IV for consideration!

also, is it possible to load x86 vst plugins in the x64 revalver so that I don't have to load them separately in reaper and can't place them in the correct spot in my signal chain?

another useful thing would be a little text box that appears when you hover the mouse over all tube tweaking options giving a small description of how changing that setting might affect the sound

also, barring the addition of the mark iic+ and/or mark IV, could we build our own amps piece by piece from a schematic? having a full gamut of adjustable components would be amazing(i know it would take tons of time :(

that being said revalver is by far the best sounding thing I have ever played and I will continue using it for a long time! thanks for all the effort!
looking forward to mark IV !

here's a little JSX action I recorded :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW4NEWDVIec

DaleVishay

Post by DaleVishay » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Hej Michael,

I have sent a new mail containing many ideas for MK IV. :lol:

There are some more, more , more ... :D

linearhit

Post by linearhit » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks Peavey guys!

can you simulate some more classical distortion/drive pedals?
i think they should cost less effort than amps 'cause their schematic is much more easier.
But they're very useful when creating sounds which were familiar when using hardware gigs.
Stomps act a key role for lots of star's timbre. For example Joe.
If fans want to simulate his tone, only JSX is not enough..

Michael Ljunggren

Post by Michael Ljunggren » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 am

linearhit wrote:Thanks Peavey guys!

can you simulate some more classical distortion/drive pedals?
i think they should cost less effort than amps 'cause their schematic is much more easier.
But they're very useful when creating sounds which were familiar when using hardware gigs.
Stomps act a key role for lots of star's timbre. For example Joe.
If fans want to simulate his tone, only JSX is not enough..
You're quite right - and we are going to have more classic stomps this time. The new program is going to make it much easier for us to do a wider variety of electronics.