Opinions on Delta Blues 210 vs the 115

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Jameson12

Opinions on Delta Blues 210 vs the 115

Post by Jameson12 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:45 am

Hello

I've been looking at the Peavey Delta Blues amp and am at the point where I think I'm just going to get the one (115 or 210) that I can get for the best price in the vintage tweed look. I haven't seen anything that makes me think that either one would be better for me at this point but am interested in opinions.

I have a Fender USA strat with stock pickups (s/s/s configuration).
Mostly play at home but do about 5 to 6 gig outings a year with drummer, bass player and another guitar player.
Play classic rock (Stones, Clapton, CCR, Skynyrd, Chuck Berry) and some country.

Thanks for any help on this

pvholic

Re: Opinions on Delta Blues 210 vs the 115

Post by pvholic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi, I have been playing Classic rock since it was Classic rock. Currently playing in a Classic rock group presently. 50's, 60's & 70's music. For Classic rock the Delta Blues 210 model would be the better choice of those two. Neither would be my first choice playing Classic Rock. Classic rock is not the Blues. :lol:

I would highly recommend a Classic 50 either in 410 or 212 models. There are many good tremolo pedals if that is why you want The Delta Blues. Another reason is the tubes are not hanging down in the speaker blast area with the Classic 50 combos and your tubes will indeed last longer and fan cooled. (Tubes are inside the chassis)
My original 1991 (Now 20 years old) Classic 50 has never been in the shop and of course never a tube failure either. I change them when I hear the tone change, and before a tube failure so far.

Above all keep Jammin!
PVholic 003.+jpg.jpg
PVholic 003.+jpg.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 16880 times
" I Play Peavey..............or I DON'T Play!!! "

Charlie

Jameson12

Post by Jameson12 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:50 pm

I have a wife, two kids, and a crappy job so I'm feeling the blues all day...
I'll take one of those amps off your hands for you though ;)

Classic 50 is prolly way too much power for me. The Classic 30 112 is interesting and with a tremolo up front would do the job too.

Mainly interested in the dynamics on difference between 115 and 210 with single coil pups.

Secesh

Post by Secesh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:11 am

If money is tight, check out a used Special 212, or even a Bandit... GREAT Classic rock/hard rock tones to be had..
Silver/red stripes, USA made from the early to late nineties...
Too loud,huh,what did you say?

Genny S-1
Special 212 II (Featuring<Special Edition Cryo'd Transtubes) 'n' Beam Blockers
---------------

WHO DAT Geaux Tigers

pvholic

Post by pvholic » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 am

"Classic 50 is prolly way too much power for me.) Prolly?? Is that the same as Probably?

The CL 50 is only around 2 db more than the CL30 If you changed a speaker in CL30 that was just 3db more it would be right there with a CL50.

A 60 watt amp is only 3db difference than a 30 watt. Not double at all. It does not work that way.
" I Play Peavey..............or I DON'T Play!!! "

Charlie

dino_j

Post by dino_j » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:59 am

Do you care about the weight? If you don't gig but I few times a year, you might not, but the Classic 30 with one 12 inch speaker at 40 pounds is as heavy as I want to carry.
"I'm too old to give up, but too young to rest" - Pete Townshend

https://www.youtube.com/user/ctp1daj/

Peavey AmpKit Link
Peavey Classic 30

Jameson12

Post by Jameson12 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:25 pm

dino_j wrote:Do you care about the weight? If you don't gig but I few times a year, you might not, but the Classic 30 with one 12 inch speaker at 40 pounds is as heavy as I want to carry.

Good consideration. 40 lbs is about what I'm at right now. 40 lbs hasn't been an issue but have to admit I'm not eager to get much beyond that. 50 lbs is prolly about max. $ is always an issue but I've bought enough of less than what I want and would like to get something a little higher end. The Bandit is interesting and I have spent some time looking at it.

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:18 pm

Generally, I like the 115 for humbuckers, and the 210 for single coils.

HarveyTonely

Post by HarveyTonely » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:26 am

Many are not fans of 10" Speakers but I really enjoy my 210's.They have a little more punch and breakup which works great for clean and overdrive. Of course you may lose a little headroom and bottom end but but the 210's are great for what I do. The Delta stays!!

sleeperNY

Post by sleeperNY » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:05 am

If the Classic 30 will work for classic rock then the Delta Blues will work just a well. It is the same amp but with Tremolo. I have the 115 model and use both single coil and humbuckers with it and have no problems. The 115 has more bottom end but that is just the turn of a knob and you can loose the bottom end. For me it is the same as using a clean amp, you can dirty up a clean amp but you can.t clean up a dirty amp. Same with the bottom end, you just can't add what it doesn't have but you can take away some if you have more than you need. You just need to try both and see what workes for you.

Jim

Jameson12

Post by Jameson12 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 am

pvholic wrote:"Classic 50 is prolly way too much power for me.) Prolly?? Is that the same as Probably?

The CL 50 is only around 2 db more than the CL30 If you changed a speaker in CL30 that was just 3db more it would be right there with a CL50.

A 60 watt amp is only 3db difference than a 30 watt. Not double at all. It does not work that way.
So - What I think you are saying is that all the extra cash and weight to lug on a CL 50 is not worth the extra 2dbs more when compared to the CL30. - Thanks

Jameson12

Post by Jameson12 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:06 am

sleeperNY wrote:If the Classic 30 will work for classic rock then the Delta Blues will work just a well. It is the same amp but with Tremolo. I have the 115 model and use both single coil and humbuckers with it and have no problems. The 115 has more bottom end but that is just the turn of a knob and you can loose the bottom end. For me it is the same as using a clean amp, you can dirty up a clean amp but you can.t clean up a dirty amp. Same with the bottom end, you just can't add what it doesn't have but you can take away some if you have more than you need. You just need to try both and see what workes for you.

Jim
I'd love to try these to compare but even a place like Guitar Center doesn't have them on the floor so my odds of running into them are not good.

What style of music are you typically playing with the single coils through that 115? Can you get it pretty dirty when needed at reasonable volumes?

sleeperNY

Post by sleeperNY » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:19 am

I play mostly classic country with a bit of classic rock. My single coil guitars are a Mosrite Mark1 and a Hallmark 60 Custom. Both have hot pickups on them and my Humbucker guitars are both Gretsch. 6122-58 and 6122-59. I play with the volume just above 4 and get a bit of natural breakup with the Gretsch guitars and with the hot pickups in the other 2 guitars it can almost always sound on the edge. The Mosrite and Hallmark give me that Country Twang when I want it and the Gretsch guitars give a shimmering high and the best smooth bottom end that nothing else can come close to.(That Great Gretsch Sound) The amp works great with both.

Jim

dalrymple

Post by dalrymple » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:03 am

I 've owned both, play a lot of classic country, and I can't imagine a Delta 115 being optimum for classic country. It is a darker sounding speaker, sometimes almost mushy IMHO, and not really ideally suited to delivering the upper mid sparkle and detail you will be listening for coming from a guitar, compared to the 210 or a C-30. For the classic rock, it is great.

On any of the Classic series amp, I believe an EQ in the loop makes a huge difference in the amps ability to deliver the goods the way you want to hear them delivered. The tone knobs on the Classics are not dialed into the proper frequencies, as far as I am concerned. The bottom end is either absent or often just sounds like mush, and the bass control in particular is not dialed in where you need it. The EQ in the loop really gives you the tone control the amp requires. Great amps all. YMMV
Dalrymple

sleeperNY

Post by sleeperNY » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:39 am

The Delta Blues 115 may not be the best amp for classic country twang, but it can get close enough for me. I do believe the country twang standard was set with Fender twin amps and Fender Telecaster guitars. I have played using Fender Twins for way more years than I would like to admit to. They are just getting to heavy for me to carry around. I like the sound of the 113 DB for what I play, and it works for me.

Jim