Peavey T-60

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey electric and acoustic guitars.
Dr Rockso

Re: Peavey T-60

Post by Dr Rockso » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:32 pm

I had a chance to get one for $200 not long ago but I waited too long and the guy had already sold it. I didn't think too much of it at first, then I watched some video reviews and I'll be kicking myself for weeks now.
GUITARS AND GUITAR ACCESSORIES

Hypyr Vypyr 30 wytt
Super Sanpotato I
Mean Dean Custom 350
and a surprisingly good Rondomusic Telecaster Copy

BPSUL

Post by BPSUL » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:28 am

Damon67 wrote:My T60's just plain awesome.

Wow.

Is the guard aftermarket?

Lee60

Post by Lee60 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:30 pm

"Is the guard aftermarket?"

I don't wanna speak for the owner of that guitar, but all the aftermarket T-60 guards I've seen didn't have the knob-marker "holes" in the top layer of plastic.
Current Peavey roster:
Composer acoustic, Fury bass, Falcon Standard, Patriot (hardtail), Patriot (tremolo), Predator, Reactor, T-15

Non-Peavey
Squier Affinity Starcaster, Taylor 314ce acoustic

SCOTT_Grove

Post by SCOTT_Grove » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Lee60 wrote:"Is the guard aftermarket?"

I don't wanna speak for the owner of that guitar, but all the aftermarket T-60 guards I've seen didn't have the knob-marker "holes" in the top layer of plastic.
I was thinking the same thing. Beautiful axe! I have seen a whole new crop of aftermarket guards coming out and some of them are really breaking some laws. Actually putting the brand logos where they go, doing all of the 100% correct engraving etc. that are surely protected (or we would've seen them long before now). Ebay is flooded with a new batch of suspiciously accurate PG's. I've reported the super obvious ones with the trademarks and brand names on them, but of course, Ebay hasn't done a thing to the one seller who is really putting a lot of time into making these, but a lot of illegal time as well.

Back on track, it does appear to be a legit pickguard on that one.

Damon67

Post by Damon67 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:40 pm

It's legit, though I must say after seeing the pictures, I backed the screws of a half turn. I guess I went a bit overboard on tightening 'em.

I was probably concerned that 18 screws wasn't enough to hold that pickguard on. Jeez Chip!

wallym

Post by wallym » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:11 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-T-60-Ele ... 256810cf21

I just saw this on ebay. It is in great shape and signed by chipp todd.

Matt Clark

Post by Matt Clark » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:30 am

OK, here's a crappy picture of my newly modified T-60 I'm calling a T-63. :)

There is no longer a need for a phase toggle, so the back toggle is now a coil tap, giving more dynamics to the tone controls. One pot is now a volume and two are tone controls for the neck and bridge pickups. The fourth pot is a fade in for the middle pickup giving all of the "out of phase" sounds needed.

Frank N. Peavey

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:07 pm

Looks like somebody else had the same idea I had. I've had a T-63 project on the bench for quite some time. Still looking for a rosewood neck for it.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, T-20, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2

SCOTT_Grove

Post by SCOTT_Grove » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Matt Clark wrote:OK, here's a crappy picture of my newly modified T-60 I'm calling a T-63. :)

There is no longer a need for a phase toggle, so the back toggle is now a coil tap, giving more dynamics to the tone controls. One pot is now a volume and two are tone controls for the neck and bridge pickups. The fourth pot is a fade in for the middle pickup giving all of the "out of phase" sounds needed.

A lot of us with the same idea! SUPERB and that's one model that should've been offered. I am planning on doing the same thing. Great job on it. It looks great.

Matt Clark

Post by Matt Clark » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:15 pm

SCOTT_Grove wrote:A lot of us with the same idea! SUPERB and that's one model that should've been offered. I am planning on doing the same thing. Great job on it. It looks great.
Thanks!

I personally don't like the empty space on a two pickup guitar and doing this was well worth the effort and made this great playing guitar into an even better sounding guitar. I love these rail style toaster humbuckers. They look great and have great response. This baby can sound like a Les Paul and with a flick of a switch and a bit of a pot adjustment, just like a tele. I gigged with it last night and it was awesome!

In case you don't know, to do this you have to relax some of the curve out of the top of the guard as the top of the center pickup rests right about where the guard's center retaining screw goes. I sent Tony at pickguardian.com a drawing and my original guard so he could make me this pick guard. I would think he could make another one from my "template" if someone wants to do a project like this-assuming he kept the design.

studiodtk5

Post by studiodtk5 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:40 pm

Totally excellant job! Just what I need another project idea!
Darren
ITOC: 08-00190

Peavey stuff I have: Masterpiece 50, Custom Shop 212, Stereo Chorus 212, T-60, T-40, Signature Select, Odyssey II Prototype, Generation Custom EXP, Firenza P90-ACM, VB-2, Stomp Boxes, Radial Pro 1000, lots of mics, etc...

Frank N. Peavey

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Ace Frehley's triple pickup LP Custom was my inspiration. Makes sense 'cause he was the reason I picked up guitar. I have three toaster pickups in a box ready to put on the project body. I'm getting ready to pull the blade pickup off my main red T-60 and replace with a toaster. I just like the warmer feel of the toasters. I've got plenty of other Peavey's with the blades in them when I need something a bit more bright.

That T-63 looks great. I like that color combo you got going on it.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

T-63, 5 T-60s, T-20, Hydra, Mantis LT, Mystic, Odyssey, 3 Patriot tremolos, Patriot Bass, 2 Predators, 2 Raptor I, Razer, Reactor, Retro Fire, 3 Rockmasters, 2 Bandits, Backstage, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP 2

j bradshaw

Post by j bradshaw » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:38 am

I recently purchased my first T-60, after 40 years of Fender Strats, and really like the way it performs. The guy I bought it from was a Peavey dealer in the late '70s and '80s and had bought it new. According to the serial number on the neck it was made in 1980-81.. however it is not the orginal neck. He said the neck was accidently broken and he had to send it back to Peavey to have it replaced. The lettering on the headstock is different than other T-60's I have seen. On the ones I have seen Peavey is printed first "closest to the nut" in larger letters and T-60 is closer to the top. On this one T-60 is in larger letters closest to the nut and Handcrafted in the USA by Peavy is printed in smaller letters near the top. I was told this was a custom neck that was on a few select guitars. I have no reason to disbelieve the person having known him for years but I was unable to get more info at the time. Can someone help me with this??? Not being familiar with the T-60 what would be different??
Peavy T60 headstock???
Peavy T60 headstock???
headstock.JPG (175.07 KiB) Viewed 10276 times

Frank N. Peavey

Post by Frank N. Peavey » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:17 pm

I've never heard the custom line before, but that style decal shows up on the last of the T-60 run. Every T I've seen from the final year had that same decal setup. I've not seen that many of those.
Tony
ITOC #05-00013

j bradshaw

Post by j bradshaw » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks for the information. As I said before I am not very familiar with these guitars being a die hard Fender strat man. I was suprised by the T60 as to how versatile and easy to play. What year were the pickups changed and when were the last ones made?? Mine has the "rail" pickups.. I think I got a a fair price on this guitar and orginal case, both in very good condition, for $400.