Peavey Musician Series 400

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
ltbetty

Peavey Musician Series 400

Post by ltbetty » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:06 pm

So I stumbled upon a Musician 400 Series head and matching 212 cab for $200 (reminded me of my teenage years!). Took the head in to our local music shop and had it cleaned thoroughly. Works great! A couple questions though. My model has the additional parallel and series inputs. Can someone explain their purpose and function? Also I cannot find the foot switch (remote switch) anywhere. I think it's a 7 pin switch with Effects Reverb and Tremolo buttons (I have a photo of it but can't figure out how to upload it here).

Classic30inCincy

Re: Peavey Musician Series 400

Post by Classic30inCincy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Mark III Musician Owner's Manual......

Available on Peavey Website

Use "Support Browser" Upper Right Side (Home Page)

Owner's Manual ------> A-Z List to access manual

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

ltbetty

Post by ltbetty » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks for the help but that manual is not for my Musician 400 Series, it is for the Mark III which is significantly different. There is a manual for the Musician but it is without the parallel and series inputs.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Ooooops....... :oops:

Recommend phone call to Peavey Customer Service.

Reps very helpful answering questions and can & will provide manual (download).

Customer Service ------> 8:00AM-5:00PM CST Monday-Friday

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:25 pm

The controls ought to be self-explanatory. If you want to know how the series and parallel jacks work, read the input jack descriptions in this manual for Classic. They work the same there.

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature ... lassic.pdf

How about a complete list of the buttons on the footswitch? Is it a 5-button?

Look at the top of this section, Roger has a sticky post of tech tips. The very last one is a collection of footswitch wirings. Perhaps the Musician-B one matches yours?

ltbetty

Post by ltbetty » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Nice... thanks (for all the replies) gang. I'm new to this forum. I was able to find and save a copy of the Footswitch wiring. And thanks for the link to the Classic manual...I think I understand the Parallel and Series inputs now... what's really cool is that the Classic in that manual was my first big amp purchase back in the mid to late 70's! I remember eventually replacing the speakers with EV Force Speakers at the time...not to long ago I stumbled upon EV Force Speakers on Ebay and e-mailed the person in New York selling them. He had removed them from a Peavey Classic...very possible it was my old amp! Great memories.

I found a picture of someones Peavey Musician (and 412 cab) identical to mine with the footswitch. I saved the photo of the footswitch. It is a 3 button switch. Buttons include Effects Reverb and Tremolo

Cereal_Spiller

Post by Cereal_Spiller » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:36 am

My first post, new here today.
Anybody have a wiring schematic for a pre Mark III Series 400 Musician foot-switch?
It's a 5-button. Selector, Combiner, Reverb, Tremolo & Effects
Here's the pics . . .
Attachments
Musician 400 1024.jpg
Musician 400 1024.jpg (318.04 KiB) Viewed 22219 times
5-button FS.JPG
5-button FS.JPG (87.66 KiB) Viewed 22219 times

ltbetty

Post by ltbetty » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks for your post. Not sure why your referring to your musician as a Mark III. It's simply a Musician 400 Series. I think there's other threads here addressing your question about schematics. I have the complete setup; head, matching 412 cab and exact same foot switch. I think the more important questions here are: is it the correct foot switch for this head and if so, which input should I be plugged into? any help would be appreciated...oh, by the way Cereal_Spiller, no need to email me privately. Do to spammers and phishing, I rarely reply. Plenty of help to be had right here and the forum can notify when the thread has a new post.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Contact customer service at the factory, and they will send you any schematic you want.

Cereal_Spiller

Post by Cereal_Spiller » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:53 pm

I referred to the "pre" Musician 400 MK III.
Anyway Peavey does not have the schematic for this particular pedal.
I will create the schematic and post. Check out this rare sight.
I now have two with pedals . . .

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:57 pm

You need many more speakers :mrgreen:
Varg Vikernes - uses Piveë Amps and Guitars, you should too. :mrgreen:

Jim_L

Post by Jim_L » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:25 pm

I picked up an old worn 400 head & it works relatively well after i pulled it apart & cleaned the pots & built a new head cabnet. I was surprised that there was no internal metal chassis. I play bass in a classic C&W band and play bass through that head and into an old Peavey 1820 cab i just picked up last night. I spent all day today pulling 'that' cabnet apart, removing the speakers, grill, hardware, etc. & scrubbing about 20 years worth of cigarette smoke & whatever else it had aquired as a 2nd 'skin' (yuk) off it & reassembling it.
The 400 makes a pretty damn good bass head!

Part of me wants to break the head down to something smaller by converting it from a pcb based circuit to point to point wiring & possibly replacing all the somewhat worn & scratchy pots & as many of the components as possible. The thing is damn heavy! I am going to install a power jack in the rear panel to have a removeable power cord (and a longer power cord in the process!) like 'newer' amps have just for the convenience.
Attachments
400 head & 1820 cab
400 head & 1820 cab
Peavey 2x10 1x18 cabnet 2.JPG (600.95 KiB) Viewed 22057 times

Hemi

Post by Hemi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 pm

Peaveys gear was modular, in the sense they had different back panels, which were the power sections, and different front panels which made it a guitar, bass or mixer amp :mrgreen:
Varg Vikernes - uses Piveë Amps and Guitars, you should too. :mrgreen:

Jim_L

Post by Jim_L » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:18 am

<slaps self on forehead>
That makes too much sense!

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 am

The Mark III Musician was a later model, it had the five input jacks in a group on the left. The preamp was based on ICs.

The Musician - plain old Musician - came first. I have drawings for the 200, 300, and 400 series of Musician. If I have them, Peavey has them.

The 200 was basic, hi/lo pair input jacks. Fuzz, trem. Schematic calls for a "to reverb drive" but includes no reverb circuitry. I don;t recall if the amp had reverb or not.

The 300 series was a little fancier, same hi/lo input jacks. It shows a reverb as well as the fuzz and trem. Also has the Spectrum selector switch.

The 400 series is like a grown up 300. Same hi/lo inputs, plus reverb/trem/fuzz

But there is also a Musician B-series, and I believe that is what Cereal has. Got the hi/lo jacks for each channel PLUS the series and parallel jacks. Fuzz/trem/reverb too. AND it has the five-button stomp switch.

Ask Peavey for the "Musician B-series" schematic. I don't have mine scanned. It covers the preamp, ie. the front panel. You will have to determine which power amp is used, ie. the rear panel.