Let's Share Some Vypyr Settings

A forum for discussing the Vypyr series amplifiers, Sanpera footswitches and share settings
jfhall

Let's Share Some Vypyr Settings

Post by jfhall » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:30 pm

There are many threads on other forums where users have shared amp settings, effects used, gain, who they were trying to sound like, etc, etc... Let's get a thread going but for specifically the Vypyr. Let's face it, a lot of beginner guitarists, such as myself, are buying these amps and we/I can use the help. There are a few threads going on this forum about what models people like but let's get more specific, such as below with a 1 - 10 value (or something like that):

Song or Artist:
Stompbox:
Amp Model Used/Green or Red:
Effects:
Pre-Gain:
Low:
Mid:
High:
Post Gain:

I look forward to seeing some idea and will try to put some up myself!

Ian-the-mac

Re: Let's Share Some Vypyr Settings

Post by Ian-the-mac » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:37 am

I keep coming back to the Cat on green with the Env turned up pretty high, pre gain bass & mid high too & the treble and post gain down low. No delay & just a touch of reverb. I can noodle around with a 12 bar blues all day on that setting!
Enjoy.
Would be lovely to hear any one else's fave settings.

To get it down to numbers - calling the bottom light Zero & the top 6 I use:
Cat, Green, No stomp, Rack Env 4/5 4/5, Pre 6, Tone 5/6, 5/6, 1/2, Post 0/1, Delay 0, 0 Reverb 2

D-String

Post by D-String » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:41 pm

Here's one. It's not exact but I think it is pretty frikkin close. :mrgreen:

Song or Artist: Def Leppard - Steve Clark's "Hysteria" sound
Stompbox: Bypass
Amp Model Used/Green or Red: Plxi Green
Effects: Chorus ( P1=2.75, P2=4.5)
Pre-Gain: 3.5
Low: 4.5
Mid: 5
High: 5
Post Gain: 2
Reverb: whatever makes you happy...I had it on 4

(the numbers are just the actual light...4.5 means the 4th and 5th light clockwise from the bottom are lit, 2.75 means the 3rd light is lit just a tad brighter than the 2nd. If there's a different standard, I'll edit this.)

That was a pretty easy one, because Clark just used a regular Marshall stack with chorus. I love that sound though and never could nail it down with my Digitech RP modeler. It was pretty easy with the Vypyr. I love this thing.
PC210004.JPG
PC210004.JPG (69.41 KiB) Viewed 127823 times

birdie_in_texas

Post by birdie_in_texas » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Well, I just got my stuff yesterday (tube 60 and Sanpera II) and I have nothing figured out really, but I did manage to save some adjustments I made to the first preset.

Change the 6505 to DZL, add the XR Wild stompbox, slow the speed on the chorus to 2.5, depth to 4.5, run up the reverb to about 5 and then I am not sure if i messed with the delay or not, but it is blinking pretty quick, and this sounds better than my entire rack did. I been warming up to Racer X Second Heat and Tony Macalpine Maximum Security and could not be happier.

I cannot wait till I actually figure out what the hell I am doing with this stuff!
Birdie_in_Texas

Purple Wolfgang
Vypyr Tube 60
Sanpera II
5150II

billyj

Post by billyj » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:53 am

This is my first posting to any forum so please bear with me. I have had my V60 & Sanpera I for a week and am still getting used to both (I am an old guy and electronically challenged). I am trying to obtain a clean fingerstyle sound for my Strat with lots of compression (ala Chet, etc.) so if anyone happens to hit upon such a setting, I would really appreciate you sharing it in this forum. I will do the same if I find one. Thanks!

gtrplr71

Post by gtrplr71 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:33 pm

billyj wrote:This is my first posting to any forum so please bear with me. I have had my V60 & Sanpera I for a week and am still getting used to both (I am an old guy and electronically challenged). I am trying to obtain a clean fingerstyle sound for my Strat with lots of compression (ala Chet, etc.) so if anyone happens to hit upon such a setting, I would really appreciate you sharing it in this forum. I will do the same if I find one. Thanks!
try using the bad cat green model with the squeeze stompbox and a little bit of slap back delay on the rack settings and you should hit nashville bliss
I love it wth my tele! :D

gtrplr71

Post by gtrplr71 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:35 pm

birdie_in_texas wrote:Well, I just got my stuff yesterday (tube 60 and Sanpera II) and I have nothing figured out really, but I did manage to save some adjustments I made to the first preset.

Change the 6505 to DZL, add the XR Wild stompbox, slow the speed on the chorus to 2.5, depth to 4.5, run up the reverb to about 5 and then I am not sure if i messed with the delay or not, but it is blinking pretty quick, and this sounds better than my entire rack did. I been warming up to Racer X Second Heat and Tony Macalpine Maximum Security and could not be happier.

I cannot wait till I actually figure out what the hell I am doing with this stuff!
I loved edge of insanity try british red with the gain cranked a little delay and reverb

SwamperGene

Post by SwamperGene » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Ok I'm starting to warm up to this amp so I'll share one I really like.

Stompbox: TubeScreamer 1.5/2.5
Amp Model Used/Green or Red: Brit/Red
Effects: (optional) Rotary Speaker 1/1
Pre-Gain: 5.75
Low: 5.5
Mid: 3.5
High: 2.25
Post Gain: 2-3, Master Volume around 3

Austin Strat copy (lefty) with Bill Lawrence 290/280/280 set.
Vypyr 30

Using my bridge pickup, this setting gives me a very Gilmour-ish sound, like the solos in Time or Comfortably Numb. The low rotary effect fattens it up just enough without being overbearing, almost acts as a flange effect being mixed in low.

:)

oneblackened

Post by oneblackened » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:14 pm

Song or Artist: Metallica (Early, think KEA and RTL)
Stompbox: TBSCRM
Amp Model Used/Green or Red: Plexi Red
Effects: Reverb
Pre-Gain: Cranked
Low:7
Mid:5
High:8
Post Gain:12
The idea with this one is to get the highly-distorted-yet-somewhat-vintageish-tone of those albums.

Song or Artist:Metallica (later) and Other metal tones
Stompbox: None, usually; sometimes I use the TBSCRM as a boost.
Amp Model Used/Green or Red:DZL or 6505 Red
Effects:Reverb, at about 5.
Pre-Gain:6.5-10. This keeps the definition.
Low: 7
Mid:4-6
High:9
Post Gain: 12
Much more distorted and modern.

Type: Metal cleans
Stompbox: Can be either flange or bypass
Amp Model Used/Green or Red:Usually XXX or TWN green
Effects: Chorus
Pre-Gain:usually somewhat high, around 10
Low:6
Mid: 5
High: 8
Post Gain: 12
Sounds quite good for a "Sanitarium" type tone.

Castiel

Post by Castiel » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:35 am

i dont understand how people are giving the settings. Are we going by clockface(IE 6 = 6oclock, 12 = 12oclock or exact middle straight up)
If so that doesnt make sense since 5:30 to 6:30 arent choosable options on these amps.

remember, all knobs from Pre Gain to Post Gain have 7 LEDs,
Now between those 7 there are more choices. I believe there are like 19 total choices.

If so then the settings system should go 1-19

And anyone find some good A7x tones(waken the fallen album)

D-String

Post by D-String » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:55 am

Castiel wrote:i dont understand how people are giving the settings. Are we going by clockface(IE 6 = 6oclock, 12 = 12oclock or exact middle straight up)
If so that doesnt make sense since 5:30 to 6:30 arent choosable options on these amps.

remember, all knobs from Pre Gain to Post Gain have 7 LEDs,
Now between those 7 there are more choices. I believe there are like 19 total choices.

If so then the settings system should go 1-19
I just used the actual light number and if you have something like 4 and 5 lit about the same level of brightness, it'd be 4.5, or if 4 is little brighter than 5, then it's 4.25. Hell, it's not an exact science. I think if you give some tone settings, just say what standard you are using. People can usually figure it out from there.

yossarian

Post by yossarian » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:15 am

jfhall wrote:There are many threads on other forums where users have shared amp settings, effects used, gain, who they were trying to sound like, etc, etc... Let's get a thread going but for specifically the Vypyr. Let's face it, a lot of beginner guitarists, such as myself, are buying these amps and we/I can use the help. There are a few threads going on this forum about what models people like but let's get more specific, such as below with a 1 - 10 value (or something like that):

Song or Artist:
Stompbox:
Amp Model Used/Green or Red:
Effects:
Pre-Gain:
Low:
Mid:
High:
Post Gain:

I look forward to seeing some idea and will try to put some up myself!
Song or Artist: Green Day - Basket Case
Stompbox: Squeeze (crank up the level. I keep sensitivity about 11:30)
Amp Model Used/Green or Red: XXX red
Effects: none
Pre-Gain: crank it up
Low: noon - 1
Mid: noon
High: noon
Post Gain: 2:30

It's not perfect but resembles it pretty well. The EQ settings have to be adjusted depending on the guitar and cable used.

ImprobableJoe

Post by ImprobableJoe » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:45 am

Pink Floyd? I've got a setting I like for Comfortably Numb, that's kind of a mix between the original solo and the live versions,

I take the A2 factory preset, switch the amp to JSX/green, move the effects to flange with both parameters at 9 o'clock, both delay settings to 12 o'clock, and the reverb at 3 o'clock.

Hydraxis

Post by Hydraxis » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:15 am

Fender Showman-like Surf Guitar tone
I run this next to a friends silverface Showman and it's pretty damn close when played through a strat.

Stompbox: None
Amp Model Used/Green or Red: TWN Green
Effects: Slapback P1: 4, P2: 7
Pre-Gain: 6.5
Low: 6.5
Mid: 6
High: 3.5
Post Gain: 6
Reverb: Maxed out

Note: You can brighten it up by switching to the X-Boost stompbox.
*2001 American Series Double Fat Strat
*Peavey 5150 212 Combo
*Peavey Vypyr 75
*Squire Standard Double Fat Strat - Satin Black
*Johnson J-Station

DirtyD

Post by DirtyD » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:09 pm

New to the forum. Not new to modelers though. Had Boss Gt5 and GT8.

I'll add more patches in future, but I only got this thing yesterday. I havent gone past living room volume, so you may have to adjust eq a little.

Heres a hard rock sound that maintains the tone from your guitar (solo with neck pickup and see if the same holds true for you).

Amp: XXX Red
Stompbox: Bypass
FX: Bypass
Delay: 2.75, 2.25 (note this is delay, not slap back. Dont select any FX)
reverb: 3.75
Pre Gain: Max
Low: 4
Mid: 4.5
High: 2.25
Post Gain: 5.5

I'm sure its not far different from the presets, but it sounds good with my LP and Strat.

Let me know what you think?