Recording with Peavey Mixers

This forum is for talking about all types of Peavey mixers.
drummerfromhell

Re: Recording with Peavey Mixers

Post by drummerfromhell » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:54 pm

I just bought the USB 20 mixing board. I am using Windows XP on a Dell computer. I hooked up the USB cable and the computer read it, and said your device is ready to use. I am using Cubase LE to record, and I am not sure on how to get Cubase to work with the board. I'm not to experienced with using this stuff. I can record, but I dont know if I have to change settings in the computer or Cubase to get it to work with the board.
If anyone can help me get this working, that would be great.

THanks.. Justin

drummerfromhell

Post by drummerfromhell » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:49 pm

So does the Peavey USB 20 board only record one track at a time? Or am I missing something here?

Peavey Pro

Post by Peavey Pro » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:29 pm

Drummer,
The Computer recognized the Console as a GENERIC AUDIO DEVICE, and thats good as your USB connection is good, BUT your only going to get TWO TRACK out of that USB port, Not 12-16-32 tracks recording, If you want to do Multi track you need another type of Interface with as many INPUTS as you want to record, These are expensive and it gets very complicated, I suggest you seek out a local college and enroll in a recording program there. I dont care how EASY they say this is to do, ITS NOT.

Now you have the Ability to record directly to your Del computers HD from the USB port on the Mixer, LEARN HERE, It takes time to learn the ins/outs of the Software, Go to PLSN BOOKSHELF and look for RECORDING BOOKS to buy that can teach YOUR brand of software. Be prepared to spend 30-50 hours learning the way this works. I KNOW Ive done it, There are no shortcuts, No magic way to make it work, You must spend the time and learn the software.

Now a few tips, Record to WAV Files if you can, at CD Quality, You dont need to use any highher BIT RATES etc.
Depending on how big of a Hard Drive you have you could have HOURS of recording time, or signifigantly less. The Best Type of HD to use for recording is a 7200 RPM as it allows faster Transfer with less latency. I actually suggest you use an EXTERNAL HD of about 500 GIG, made by LACIE or others, USB is fine be sure its the latest 2.0 USB.

Right now your going to be bale to do Two Track, Left and Right from your existing setup and you can do some excellent recordings this way, The only Issue is BOARD recordings while playing out live wont be balanced correctly as the LOWEST volume Instruments will be loud in the mix, and the LOUDEST will be low, due to your amplifying the instruments with less acoustic output MORE....

Find the Books and read up, Peavey doesnt give lots of help on this isse, I learned by doing and spending money, Welcome to the recording world.
Don Lanier
Pearl Pro Audio
http://www.pearlproaudio.com
Facebook.com/Pearl Pro Audio

jonxbomb

Post by jonxbomb » Sat May 30, 2009 2:42 pm

I have a question. If I use the mixer(peavey usb) to record drums will the mixer in my audio recording program (adobe audition) split the track separately, for example I have 5 mics plugged in can i send each input into a separate track.. or how do I go about doing that if it doesn't.

jon

Post by jon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:31 am

jonxbomb wrote:I have a question. If I use the mixer(peavey usb) to record drums will the mixer in my audio recording program (adobe audition) split the track separately, for example I have 5 mics plugged in can i send each input into a separate track.. or how do I go about doing that if it doesn't.

JohnT

Post by JohnT » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:41 pm

I don't have the time to do a long reliability check but I started holding down the stop button for the USB recording for THREE flashes of the recording light and then releasing it, I have not had a recording failure since I started doing this. My failures before showed a recording in progress but on pressing stop and waiting for the end. on checking the file, you would see the name and NO information as to bytes of file size. This has not happened with the slow release of the stop button. I know this appears to be simplistic solution but for now,it works for me...The CPU does appear to be SLOW reading input settings! Any comment?
All choices have consequences!
Not to choose is also a choice

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:32 am

jonxbomb wrote:I have a question. If I use the mixer(peavey usb) to record drums will the mixer in my audio recording program (adobe audition) split the track separately, for example I have 5 mics plugged in can i send each input into a separate track.. or how do I go about doing that if it doesn't.
NO!

It only records two tracks, Left and Right. To record more tracks you need a multi-channel preamp that does Analog to Digital conversions, one for each track.

lowdbrent

Post by lowdbrent » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:18 am

USB mixers are best used for down and dirty live recording. Think of it as a fancy replacement for the cassette deck, DAT, from days of old. In fact, any two channel recorder (not a computer) will always sound better. Why? Glad you asked.

The data in the USB protocol is tansfered under the control of the computer. That sucks. A great USB interface will actually control the data. There are two methods currently used that were pioneered by two high end A/D D/A manufacturers.

If you let the computer processor handle the data, then you are more likely to experience timing errors, jitter, etc. The stereo image could be narrow/smeared with frequencies phased. Cheap stock computer power supplies in buildings with bad AC power will jack with things as well.

Forget the USB thing. Use the analog outs no matter whose console/interface it is. USB is a shotty thing to use to audio.

Jaykayess

Post by Jaykayess » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:41 am

lowdbrent wrote:Forget the USB thing. Use the analog outs no matter whose console/interface it is. USB is a shotty thing to use to audio.
Well, that's a fine mess I've got myself into!

I spent hours of research (and some extra $$) and decided to go for the PV-10-USB, just for its USB feature. The clinching argument was that a computer's sound card is usually of poorer quality, so the A/D conversion should preferably be done in the mixer's better converter, bypassing the on-board sound card.

And now you're recommending the exact opposite!

If I have a Windows laptop with a really good processor (Intel Core 2 Duo) with 4 GB of RAM, do you think I'd still face the same problems?

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:34 am

You wrote:

>>>
If I have a Windows laptop with a really good processor (Intel Core 2 Duo) with 4 GB of RAM, do you think I'd still face the same problems?
<<<

That is a decent machine, however the limit in many cases is not really the amount of RAM or the CPU processor, it is the quality of the A/D converters, whether or not they are in the sound card or in the external mixer.

This is why many studios have used our older CEX-5 as a priemium A to D converter with 24 Bits of parallel processing.

Jaykayess

Post by Jaykayess » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:16 pm

So let's assume my PC's sound card is really inferior (which I suspect). How good is the PV-10USB A/D converter? I searched high and low but simply could not find any specs for that...

JohnnyK

Post by JohnnyK » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:23 pm

I have the 32 FX and love the sound as a live board but am dissapointed that they made it out to be something that it is not. The effects are just about useless unless you only want to use one at a time. You can go into output proccessing and cut everything off and CPU usage is still to high to do anything with. And as far as usb to computor recording whch is why I baught this board is very dissapoint because no where does it say you only get a left and right track. Peaveys responce was hey we never said it would muti track. Very close to false advertising to me. I am a big peavey fan and own more peavey guitars amps and cabs than I can type here ,never have I felt so ripped off about any of Peavey other products. My classic 30 amp manual has more info on how to use it than this boards manual. Instead of giving it the usb functions they could have given it direct out for every channel a whole lot cheaper and we could have used our own interface.I wonder how many others got suckered in to beleaving that it would multi track?

Marty McCann

Post by Marty McCann » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:43 am

Johnny wrote:

>>>
The effects are just about useless unless you only want to use one at a time.
<<<

Uh, what outboard effects processor allows you to have more than one Effect, if it is a single unit?

>>>
You can go into output proccessing and cut everything off and CPU usage is still to high to do anything with.
<<<

That is becauae the CODEX is converting the signal analog to digital at all times for the USB interface.

>>>
And as far as usb to computor recording whch is why I baught this board is very dissapoint because no where does it say you only get a left and right track. Peaveys responce was hey we never said it would muti track. Very close to false advertising to me.
<<<

Wait a minute, do you not think we would have advertised in large bold print that it could perform Multi-Track Recordings? It is a simple two track and that is it. It was not presented as any thing other. Now if the customer has visions of recording a CD project with this mixer, then they are having just that "visions."

>>>
I am a big peavey fan and own more peavey guitars amps and cabs than I can type here ,never have I felt so ripped off about any of Peavey other products.
<<<

We appreciate you as a valued customer.

Eric Lyon

Post by Eric Lyon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Im going to sing with the choir here, having installed 3 of the FX family of mixers.

I use sweetwater and have a dedicated sales rep, I can tell you that he related all of the capabilities and what these mixers cannot do prior to any of my purchases. That means - do the research before you buy a product.

For small to medium venues where I want a 2 track recording, I have yet to be disappointed with the FX mixers, while recording into a computer. Recording to a USB drive leaves you wanting a bit more ambiance. I use Sony Sound Forge and a quick Ctrl + R and click record will get me the raw data. Once its recorded I can make some serious changes to the recording and have a nice little CD.

Is this going to make a 24 track recording? LOL For under $2000? Have you priced a Pro Tools setup lately? Peavey makes a solid product here for a definite designed market. If it could do 24 tracks I would call them a miracle maker.

This is a awesome design for Schools, Churches, and areas where you want to make a simple recording in digital format.

Thanks
Eric

Peavey Pro

Post by Peavey Pro » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:16 am

The Peavey PV Boards with the USB out work great for recording 2 TRACKS, I also use the New Tascam DR-1 Digital recorder and Ive made some fabulous recordings with this, Ive done Natioanl acts Live in Concert with Room Mics and had them come out sounding like a PRO MIXED recording....

Recording takes time to learn and do, its not really that simple to get great results, if you have the capability of Multi track say a MOTU 2410 and LINK a pair then you can get MULTITRACKS but again then you need DIRECT OUTS on our console or a dedicated MIC splitter of which I built my own many years ago, Now ou can buy these from Rapco, Whirlwind etc...

Ive not used the FX series boards as I own the Crest Consoles, But the FX is a nice litte console and does some neat things, But truthfully for recording a straight ANALOG console, 2 track recorder and your gonna find it easy after a couple experiments to put down your own band recordings good enough for demos etc...
Don Lanier
Pearl Pro Audio
http://www.pearlproaudio.com
Facebook.com/Pearl Pro Audio