Winter NAMM: Peavey VB-3 Tube Bass Amp Lays Down Massive Power With Groundbreaking Light Weight
ANAHEIM, Calif. The new Peavey VB-3 all-tube bass amplifier gives players nearly infinite control over EQ and gain structure in a tremendously versatile and potent 300-watt tube amplifier that weighs just 37 lbs.
The dual-channel Peavey VB-3 bass amplifier combines three 12AX7 and two 12AT7 preamp tubes with a matched octet of EL34 tubes that give players tons of characteristic tube tone with uncharacteristically tight response for an all-tube amplifier. An innovative, world-compatible switch-mode power supply and advanced design provide stadium levels of tone and power in an extremely lightweight (37 lb.) tube amplifier head.
Backing up the amplifiers organic tube tone is a vintage three-band active/mid-cut EQ that combines traditional high and low tone controls with a mid control featuring a four-position midrange selector switch that allows players to set the mid-frequency at 200, 450, 600 or 800 Hz. Combined with the nine-band, constant-Q graphic equalizerspaced at optimized frequencies, with each slider providing 15 dB of cut and boostthe VB-3 allows for virtually any EQ curve imaginable.
The VB-3 also features an all-tube optical compressor that uses a unique feed-forward design that is positioned between the two EQ sections to help tame extreme settings and allow full use of the graphic EQ. The compressor is highly sensitive and activated from the first tube stage so it can produce a wide range of compression. The amps master volume controls the overall output, while the Clean channel has an independent volume control and the Overdrive channel has an overdrive gain control.
Peaveys patented Resonance and Presence controls, which adjust the damping factor at the low and high ends, respectively, along with a three-way speaker impedance selector, enable players to match the VB-3 to virtually any bass speaker enclosure. Resonance and Presence are also useful in dialing in tones for particular styles, including tight sounds that are not normally associated with tube amplifiers.
Voiced to match the VB-3 tube bass amplifier, the new VB-810 bass enclosure features eight custom-designed 10 ceramic-magnet loudspeakers paired into four tone chambers, and can be operated in stereo or mono modes with 800 watts power handling.
The Peavey VB-3 will be available in Q1 2009 and the VB-810 will be available in Q2 2009 from authorized Peavey retailers.
VB-3 Tube Bass Head
- 300 watts RMS into 8, 4 or 2 ohms
- Total weight of just 37 lbs.
- Matched octet of EL34 power tubes
- 3 x 12AX7 and 2 x 12AT7 preamp tubes
- Internal rebiasing switch for using 6L6GC tubes
- Universal switching power supply allows use worldwide
- Dual channel: Volume/Overdrive/Low/Mid/Shift/High/Master
- LED indicators for active Volume or Overdrive control (footswitchable)
- Bright and Low Cut switches
- Tube compressor w/level control, defeat switch and LED (footswitchable)
- Constant-Q 9-band graphic EQ w/defeat switch and LED (footswitchable)
- Master volume
- Master Resonance and Presence controls for frequency-selective speaker damping
- Effects Loop
- Neutrik Speakon Combination Jack outputs
- Balanced XLR output pre/post EQ
- Preamp output and power amp input
- Footswitchable mute for tuning on stage
- Tuner output
- LED-lighted Peavey logo with dimmer control
- Made in U.S.A.
- U.S. MSRP $2499.99
VB-810 Bass Enclosure
- 800 watts RMS power handling
- Eight custom-designed 10 ceramic-magnet loudspeakers
- Four individual 2x10 chambers
- Switchless stereo or mono operation
- Heavy-duty hardware
- Durable bedliner covering and black grille cloth
- Made in U.S.A.
- U.S. MSRP $1049.99