New old user Hello!

A general discussion forum to talk about all things Peavey and everything musical.
bjnette

New old user Hello!

Post by bjnette » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:21 am

Hi guys and gals if any,
I been a long time user of PV since the early 80's. Am here in Sydney now days.
Primarily a bass player my first gig amp for 10 years was my 300wCombo! Just Awesome but it got stolen out of my house.
Ended up getting a Fender 400watt MXR head and 15 cab which is pretty good too.
One wonders how long some of these new lightweight class D amps will last.
I also have a 5 watt VK which I use for the guitar in my unit for last 5 years.
Recently bought an old solo series Renown for $100. Too good to pass up as one of my mates has one since new.
Just awesomely loud and clean and takes pedals pretty well. He has a GT100 hooked up on it for FX. But it sounds good clean with some verb.
That his has lasted this long is a testament to how good they are.
Mine has some issues but pot cleaner should handle most of it including the loop jacks.
Anyway, it is fully pulled apart and the left scorpion speaker 3/4th of the outer cone has come unstuck from the basket. That explains the flappy vibration when slapping the strings. It is too fine a tolerance for speaker glue unless I remove all of it from the basket. I think some good quality super glue might also work for the metal to rubber. Any suggestion for cleaning a couple of paint splatters from the cone near the dust cap?
Thanks for your advices

Oren Hudson

Re: New old user Hello!

Post by Oren Hudson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Welcome. I've patched some small tears with paper toweling and rubber cement, but I'm not sure if that much a separation could be done that way. :?:
you can't have too much bass

bjnette

Re: New old user Hello!

Post by bjnette » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:40 am

It seems the outer edge of the speaker cone, surround has just come unstuck from the basket.
I can slide the surround squared edge out a bit from the front basket edge pushing gently behind a bit but the space is rice paper thin.
Ideally, some roof and gutter silicon would work as it makes a good gasket ( I'm a roof plumber and have used it on car sumps and it is fine. LOL)
I'll find something paper thin and just try and get some sealant in there as best I can working it in.
A fine stiff artists paint brush might do the trick.