Valveking vk100 issue

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Slaytanicdave

Valveking vk100 issue

Post by Slaytanicdave » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Hey friends! So, a few years ago my valveking decided to quit on me a day before a gig. I figured it needed new power tubes and a fuse. I finally got around to replacing them the other day. I used ruby 6L6's (which were stock and recommended by dougstubes.com) and i put in a 5amp/250volt fuse. It started up and roared in all of its glory. That was yesterday. Well, today we were practicing and all of a sudden the sound got way low and i could smell something electrical getting really hot. Also, two of the tubes seemed to be a lot brighter than the other two. The tubes are matched and brand new and i used rubber gloves when i installed them. Im not very electronically savvy. Did i use the wrong fuse? What could cause this? Should i just send it to Peavey? HALP!

Enzo

Re: Valveking vk100 issue

Post by Enzo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:30 am

No, whatever went wrong before was not limited to a couple bad tubes. When tubes fail, they often damage a couple resistors. And that can result in a loss of bias even if new tubes are installed.

Slaytanicdave

Post by Slaytanicdave » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:45 pm

So do you think sending it to peavey is my best bet?

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:21 am

The PV service guys know what they are doing, but this is just a guitar amp, not a space program lab. ANY competent amp tech can work on your amp, and there are probably Peavey authorized shops in your area. You can send it to Peavey, but to me, I prefer not to spend a lot extra for shipping when I can get it handled locally.

Slaytanicdave

Post by Slaytanicdave » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks. This is kind of a small town, so im not sure if any of the shops are peavey authorized but ill check around.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Go to Peavey.com, and upper right see support. CLick support and one of the options that result is a dealer/service finder. Enter your zip code into that and find out who is nearby.

If you have to drive an hour to a larger city, well, so be it.