Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 - importance of "body" and master volume controls?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
wjmwpg

Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 - importance of "body" and master volume controls?

Post by wjmwpg » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi! It's my first post here and I just have a quick question about the Stereo Chorus 212's.

I'm deadset on buying one and making it my main guitar amp. I will probably only use its clean channel.

Should I try to find a later teal version with the "body" and master volume controls, or is it really not that big a deal to have these?

I'm going to look at a very clean "grey stripe" version tomorrow.

Cheers,
James (already the proud owner of a T40, T-Max and 1810 cab)

tele twister

Re: Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 - importance of "body" and master volume controls?

Post by tele twister » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:55 am

Welcome wjmwpg!

If you're planning on using only the clean channel, then you probably will not miss the Body or Master controls at all.
It seems you're doing the best thing, by checking it out in person.
If you're looking for clean and loud, with a lush chorus and very usable array of reverbs, you're on the right track.

FWIW, I only use the clean channel on my '89 no Body, but when I need a clean boost, or a little grit, or some crunch, or even all out mayhem, I use my trusty M*R SuperBA Disto pedal. I tried about a half dozen OD pedals, but they all seemed to color the tone of the amp, which I like to keep consistent, through many different levels of clean and gain. On a desperate whim, I tried the M*R SBADisto, and found it perfect. It's a very versatile pedal.

By grey stripe, I guess you're talking about the pre teal era, '88-'89ish?
Also, some early teals were also the pre body circuit.

wjmwpg

Post by wjmwpg » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks for the advice tele twister. I kinda got the sense (from what little I could find on this forum and others) that body and master volume controls are only really a bonus if you're planning on using the Crunch or Lead channels, but it's great to have that suspicion confirmed by somebody who has experience with the amp.

I also guess that I'm referring to late-80's pre-teal era when I say grey-stripe. I've only just started sussing out the differences in various Stereo Chorus 212 versions. Unless I'm wrong there's the earliest "grey-stripe" without body and master volume, the "early teals", also without body and master volume, and the "late teals" with body and master volume.

I'm going to look into the disto pedal you've mentioned. I also yearn for a pedal that can bring some dirt without otherwise colouring the overall tone.

One thing I am very interested about is if there's any sonic difference between the "grey-stripes" and the "early teals" that also don't have the body or master volume controls. I'm guessing that they sound the same, that the differences are only cosmetic, but if someone knows for sure I'd love to hear about it. :wink:

rocktite9

Post by rocktite9 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:33 am

i know if you go back a few more years you get all tube peavys which is way different, but to be honest, even though skynerd used modified ones i did'nt originally like the stock sound of mine and it used to whine all the time in 75 but now with digitech multi effects you can have tube and built in noise gate and anti feedback all built i8n so the game changed again cause i would take a special 130 or stero chorus over a tube classic twin any day back then cause of the awful whjine

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:51 am

I own also a really older one of these; I'm figuring only because I've got no stripe on it. It is so underrated. I only wish they'd have had effects loops back then, but it takes most pedals and boards really well, I could just get more options with a loop.

It's been sitting lonesome since I got a 5150, but that is an awesome amp, tubes or not.

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:43 pm

The Master wrote:I own also a really older one of these; I'm figuring only because I've got no stripe on it. It is so underrated. I only wish they'd have had effects loops back then, but it takes most pedals and boards really well, I could just get more options with a loop.

It's been sitting lonesome since I got a 5150, but that is an awesome amp, tubes or not.
FWIW, the old Classic Chorus 212s are just as potent, sound pressure wise (with half the wattage as the SC 212, and no digital reverb/delays), and have an excellent long spring reverb, same great chorus, and an effects loop.