Classic 30 replacement reverb tank system check

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
nrand

Classic 30 replacement reverb tank system check

Post by nrand » Tue May 30, 2017 3:35 am

I recently purchased a Classic 30 some time ago that came with the reverb tank, not connected.
I finally got around to testing it and when I found it did not work, then took it to the local amp repair person, who discovered that of of the connecting circuits was fried. I don't think he checked the amp itself for problems.

A replacement 4EB2C1B tank arrived today, so I wonder if there is anything I should check before installing the replacement? I have heard references to a 'tolex bag' as well but confess I do not know much about this either.

Please school me!

Thank you in advance

Enzo

Re: Classic 30 replacement reverb tank system check

Post by Enzo » Tue May 30, 2017 6:08 am

There are two cables from the amp chassis down to the reverb pan. One is the drive and the other the return. With the amp turned on ready to play, turn the reverb control up midway. Now touch the tip of each plug on the ends of the two cables. One of them should make a hum. THAT cable should plug into the jack marked OUTPUT on the reverb pan.

Your new pan probably has a block of foam rubber tucked in the long springs, remove it.

There ought to be four spongy rubber grommets on the mounting flange of the pan. Those cushion it from the floor of the cabinet. A couple screws through them will hold it in place. Do not screw it down tight, just turn screws in far enough to prevent the pan from sliding around.

Any place that sells reverb pans usually also sells vinyl bags for them. We connect the cables, then slide the pan into the bag. Then a screw at either end through the bag will hold it in place. The bag reduces the sound energy from the speaker getting into the pan springs causing feedback.

nrand

Post by nrand » Tue May 30, 2017 7:07 am

Thank you for the details response. I will check the seller of the tank to see what they have in the way of vinyl bags.
Otherwise I mike make something up myself.
I am in Australia and sometimes we cannot get everything available in the US.

Update - found one from the same seller - too easy, thanks again.

ScottMarlowe

Post by ScottMarlowe » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Note that a common trick that Peavey uses as well is to put a piece of stout cardboard on the bottom the reverb tank to keep the vinyl bag from hitting the springs and also further reduce the sound energy getting to the pan.