why peavey?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
megadethian

Re: why peavey?

Post by megadethian » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:23 am

I'll tell you why Peavey:

When I was 19, I bought a 1972 marshall super lead at a pawn shop for 300 bucks (1989). It was a non master volume and I bought it because no one in my area had a marshall at the time but me. Well Im a metal head so Im thinking where's the distortion? So I go back to the pawn shop and ask him he explains the deal to me that I need a preamp or pedal. He has a rockmaster preamp so I buy it too. Freakin awesome!! That preamp in conjunction with the 6550 equipped marshall shook the walls at my house!! Unfortunately I was also a major pothead at the time so I lost my job and had to sell them.

Fast forward to 2005, Im now clean, still a metalhead but playing through marshall rack gear. I decide one day I want a Head. The thing about living in Upstate South Carolina is the choices are Marshall MG crap or freakin Crate amps so I go on ebay and bought a 5150II Head without ever having heard one live. Freakin awesome !! This amp was the sound Ive been searching for (to quote EVH lol!). This amp is awesome and will never get rid of it. When I first got it I took it to rehearsal. I didnt tell the guys I bought a new head( They cant see my head since I dont put it on top of the cab like most people-beer splilling reasons) and we started playing. Not only did I notice it but they did too we were freakin jammin! That's why Peavey. The other guitar player in the band has played thru JCM 800 2203, Dual Recto, and JCM 2000 and he will admit the 5150II is better than all of them!!
Megadethian
5150II
ESP Kirk Hammett
ESP Eclipse
Rack Gear
Alesis Midiverb4

pioneerprogress

Post by pioneerprogress » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:17 am

megadethian wrote:I'll tell you why Peavey:

When I was 19, I bought a 1972 marshall super lead at a pawn shop for 300 bucks (1989). It was a non master volume and I bought it because no one in my area had a marshall at the time but me. Well Im a metal head so Im thinking where's the distortion? So I go back to the pawn shop and ask him he explains the deal to me that I need a preamp or pedal. He has a rockmaster preamp so I buy it too. Freakin awesome!! That preamp in conjunction with the 6550 equipped marshall shook the walls at my house!! Unfortunately I was also a major pothead at the time so I lost my job and had to sell them.

Fast forward to 2005, Im now clean, still a metalhead but playing through marshall rack gear. I decide one day I want a Head. The thing about living in Upstate South Carolina is the choices are Marshall MG crap or freakin Crate amps so I go on ebay and bought a 5150II Head without ever having heard one live. Freakin awesome !! This amp was the sound Ive been searching for (to quote EVH lol!). This amp is awesome and will never get rid of it. When I first got it I took it to rehearsal. I didnt tell the guys I bought a new head( They cant see my head since I dont put it on top of the cab like most people-beer splilling reasons) and we started playing. Not only did I notice it but they did too we were freakin jammin! That's why Peavey. The other guitar player in the band has played thru JCM 800 2203, Dual Recto, and JCM 2000 and he will admit the 5150II is better than all of them!!
ha I bet he gets buried when he plays that recto.
They sound huge, but lack the bite that I've always had with Peaveys.

I also wish you could find a super lead for $300 these days :shock:
Gibson | Fender | Epiphone | Peavey | Blackstar | H&K | ADA | Marshall | Avatar | Crate

megadethian

Post by megadethian » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:37 am

I also wish you could find a super lead for $300 these days
I actually bought it at City View Pawn Shop in Anderson. I'm an idiot for getting rid of it but I was young,dumb,and full of............lol
Megadethian
5150II
ESP Kirk Hammett
ESP Eclipse
Rack Gear
Alesis Midiverb4

JimiGuy7

Post by JimiGuy7 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:37 pm

I was always skeptical of Peavey. I thought that they were just some bargain company making decent priced garbage. That was pretty harsh of me eh? I just got my first tube Peavey (JSX) and I gotta say it is the best amp have ever owned. Great job Peavey, I love this amp, this is my tone!!!
Peavey JSX 120
Marshall 1960A
Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS Re-Issue
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash Studio
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Faded
Fender 1952 Telecaster Re-Issue
Fender Classic Player`s 50`s Startpcaster

Secesh

Post by Secesh » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:47 pm

I've always liked Peavey stuff. Had a few pieces over the years. I quit playing guitar for a few years to concentrate on other things.
When I got back into it I started by buying some cheap stuff. I couldn't stand any of it, but didn't have the funds for quality stuff, or so I thought.

I now have a Special 212II amp, GennyS-1,Tracer w/Spyder, and a Destiny Custom on the way. ( I just sold a Falcon to help pay for the Destiny)
I have right at a grand in a bad A$$ amp, and three American made guitars.
I can't wait for the Destiny to arrive. I've been told by a well respected board member that it is very special, and from the pic I recieved from the seller, I'd say that's an understatement....

OK-OK I'll post the pic...

Too loud,huh,what did you say?

Genny S-1
Special 212 II (Featuring<Special Edition Cryo'd Transtubes) 'n' Beam Blockers
---------------

WHO DAT Geaux Tigers

etechstan

Post by etechstan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:29 pm

got a deal on a MKIII bass head back in 1979 and loved peavey amps ever since. the sound and durability is awesome. My P&W amp is an early 90s TKO 115 and even though it still sounds great, Im considering replacing it with a new Max 112 because its more compact and lighter.
Fury V

snakestretcher52

Post by snakestretcher52 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:57 am

Why? Well, in the case of my most recent Peavey purchase, a teal stripe Bandit 112 bought as a back-up, it was nostalgia which quickly turned into love for the great tone with my CP 60s Strat. It's like they were made for each other. It has been well used but is cosmetically very good-I don't know what they use to cover these things but it's pretty much bomb-proof!
Also there's the legendary toughness; I don't recall ever having an issue with any of the stuff I've used over the years that wasn't my fault.
My first Peavey was back in '87/'88 (I think); a Bandit 65 followed by a Backstage Plus, Bravo, C50, Royal 8. All missed-except the Royal 8.

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:22 am

Tough Covering.......Probably........Rhino Hide"

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

SemperFiSound

Post by SemperFiSound » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:50 am

Why Peavey? Why not Peavey? When I was 17, in 1980, I ran the high school dances and sometimes the school band PA system. Not a formal member of the AV Club though.... The school had two Cerwin Vega 15s. A friend of mine was selling two Peavey TS-1210 towers. I got the school to pay for them and I have been silently enamored with the Peavey marque since.

Fast forward 24 years, I find myself in Philly and a former Marine helo pilot friend of mine (now a lawyer, but a helluva guitar player) has a local band. I want to help them by doing Sound Reinforcement which I have not done since high school. We go to a local music store that he frequents and the certified sound tech - good guy - has these subs and tops with no marque on them. He asks us to listen - they were tri-amp'd with a DriveRack and he played Tom Sawyer. Blew me away. I have no idea that sound could be that clear. I asked how much and he was a bit hesitant, so I asked what was wrong with the cabs. I had no concept of the Peavey 'stigma.' He said, "Well, they're Peavey and I can't move them, that's why I took the placards off." He had me at "Peavey", but I recognized the potential deal I could make. Three days later, I'm driving away with two QW-218s and two QW-3s for $2800.

I was upset that he couldn't find the placards for me to put back on the cabs and the store which had been in business for 50+ years is no longer.

I saw the band "Dame" last night, Philly's Top Wedding band. They command $5k a gig. The sound guy had a very basic setup - A&H MixWiz, Lab Gruppen amps bi-amping EAW tops and Community dual 18 bottoms. Honestly, my Peavey tri-amp'd rig sounds better. Cleaner, tighter sound that can reproduce all the subtle tones - from the singer's Janis throaty lows to the guitarists 'sound' and at the same time, the power of a kick drum and the hint of shimmer on the 8" crash cymbal. It's all there.

Need to call Peavey parts and see if I can get the placards. I need to world to know that I run Peavey.

Cheers,
Steve

PS - I found some TS-1210s on eBay last year. They were abused and I got a good deal. I am refurbishing them, if for no other reason than to donate to a school for the dances.
SemperFi Sound; the website
SemperFi Sound On FaceBook
"The Art of War teaches us to rely, not upon the calculated likelihood of
the enemy's coming or not, but on our own readiness to receive him... no
matter what he does." Sun Tzu

REEE_SPECT_WALK

Post by REEE_SPECT_WALK » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:04 pm

I always circle back around to Peavey myself. Their tone is so thick and chocolatey. I love it. Even their transtube stuff, in my opinion, sounds better than other company's SS stuff.
Gibson Les Paul Trad Pro
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Peavey Vypyr 100

corr_blimey_guvnor

Post by corr_blimey_guvnor » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:58 am

Hi all,

after 12 years of playing through Marshalls I made the switch last year to Peavey. My JSX gives me the range of sounds that I require and then some more!!!. I play in a metal band at the moment, helping a friend out, a bit heavy for me but fun all the same!!!
The crunch channel is immense on its own, but when driven by another OD source - truly amazing!. (JSX Crunch Gain 1/3, vol 2/3 + Bluesbreaker Pedal Gain 1/2, level 1/2).

The clean is the cleanest I have heard in a while and it takes pedals very well, easy to add a little boost and gain to give a dirty blues tone.
It goes complementary with my G System (and the G can be a pain with some amps)

Not being made in China/ Korea is a major plus. As its made by you guys accross the pond I know I can trust the build quality :)

Endorsements do nothing for me, its purely coincidental that I own a JSX and and an Ibanez JS1000 :), however, as with the JSX, i have played many guitars over the years and the JS1000 is just amazing too!.

Anyway.....Peavey you have my Vote, Thank You!
Ibanez JS1000 Black Pearl Finish
Peavey JSX 120 Head
Marshall 1936 Cabinet
TC Electronic G System
MXR Zakk Wylde OD
Marshall Bluesbreaker MK2
Boss F500L Exp Pedal
Jim Dunlop Dimebag Cry Baby Wah from Hell

79Patriot

Post by 79Patriot » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:12 am

Price , quality, performence, tone, dependability- If I could pic up a fender bassman for a few hundred on the used market I would do that too

megadethian

Post by megadethian » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:36 am

Price , quality, performence, tone, dependability- If I could pic up a fender bassman for a few hundred on the used market I would do that too
Dude,
About 2 yrs. ago I was in this old smelly pawn shop and lo and behold a fender blackface bassman head for $60. Yes.....sixty dollars! I didn't have the cash and the pawn broker couldn't take a debit card so I came back the next day and it was gone!! Made me sick. He obviously didn't know what he had, and it sounded nice too. Whoever bought that got one heck of a deal, because I seen another last month for $300.
Megadethian
5150II
ESP Kirk Hammett
ESP Eclipse
Rack Gear
Alesis Midiverb4

din_blix

Post by din_blix » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:27 pm

My first amp was a rage 158, that was in 94-95. I always liked the sound of it better than my buddies little 10 watt crate, so when I found a deal on a vypyr 60 and senpera 1 for 200 bucks I couldnt resist. My old setup is on the chopping block now.

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:18 am

Quality - High
Dependability - High
Bang-For-My-Buck Ratio - High
Tone - Excellent

What's not to love? 8)