why peavey?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
markleehunter

Re: why peavey?

Post by markleehunter » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:39 am

Lotsa configurations, matched to different needs/uses. Choice of good SS or good tube. Relatively cheap. Last long time. Keep working. Sound fine, even great, consistent across the line. Don't put you in the poorhouse (used for a steal).
= VALUE.
"The slide is my ride."
Peavey Gear: Red Stripe Studio Pro 112 (with Bugera Vintage speaker), Valveking Royal 8 (with Celestion Tube 10), Bandit 75 (with Jensen Mod 12/70), Dirty Dog.

pioneerprogress

Post by pioneerprogress » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:38 pm

My first amp was a Bravo 112. The shop sold it to me as a solid state amp, for a hundred bucks :lol: I didn't even know til a couple years later, it was actually a tube amp! :mrgreen:
I don't know if it's because it's the sound I've always known, or because it really just is my tone, but I keep coming back to Peavey. I've wanted to buy other brands, and occasionally still do, but I keep coming back to Peavey for "my" tone.
There is only one other amp company that is on par with Peavey with giving me the tone I want (hint: it's in my sig and they have a new line of amps that should be hitting stores in a week or two that I am DEFINITELY buying) but Peavey has consistently been the best value.
Gibson | Fender | Epiphone | Peavey | Blackstar | H&K | ADA | Marshall | Avatar | Crate

mattr_4_president

Post by mattr_4_president » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:35 pm

Growing up in the 90's there were only 2 amps that i would see in magazines that sounded as mean as they looked. The peavey 5150 and Mesa Dual rects. I mean i would read the magazines over and over and just drool over their ads. I could certainly live without marshall's, they were too british and i kinda looked at them as stuck up. Peavey and Mesa, to me, had their own identity, made in america, balls to the wall gain. to this day i still love both of these amps and would like to have a Mesa Dual some day but peavey still represents the best value.
Last edited by mattr_4_president on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ibanez S520EX
Washburn KC70V
Aria Pro II
Peavey Valveking 100H
Peavey Express
Custom 4x12 Cab with Eminence Texas Heat
Ibanez TS9
Boss NS1
Boss GE7

maibock1023

Post by maibock1023 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:51 pm

I was 17 in 1975 when I bought a used Musician head and cab. From the first time the cops showed up because of the neighbors complaints, I was hooked. I sold that amp a year later and didn't get another Peavey till 1982 when I bought a Backstage which I owned for two years. In 98 I bought my Bandit and I've never considered another company since. My 16 yr old son is playing a fund raiser at his HS tomorrow night using a Studio Pro, while his older brother is bashing out drop tuned shit through my old Bandit. I'll be kicking ass this weekend through my Classic 50 and the band will be running our vocals through a Peavey 8600 mixer head out Peavey cabs and monitors.
Been through Marshall's, Fenders, Rolands, Music Man, Vox's but I only sound like me through a Peavey and they are indestucable to boot!
Classic 50
Blackface Bandit
Valve King 50
Studio Pro Redstripe

Chad

Post by Chad » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Funny you should say that, there's a Musician head in a pawn shop in Sparks, NV. Or was when I was in there a week or two back.

Don't recall the asking price. Should be listed on the website. Just google "metropawn reno nevada" and you'll get a map of their locations and their website. On their website top right you'll see a link to "browse items".
Signature? What signature?

Demure

Post by Demure » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:35 am

lol...collage...lol. cracked me up! anyway i love peavey cause from what ive experienced, they are a "wholesome" company. both the people and the product, well for the most part regarding the products (cough....vypr...what a peice, sorry vypr owners) anyway the quality is usually much better than whats to be expected looking at the price in comparison to "other" companies. also like many are chanting within this forum, the tone....just cant find it for this price range anywhere else. although i will admit to liking the sound i heard coming from the bugera 6260 as well as the 6262, i would never recomend buying one because they are so unreliable, which brings me to my next point....reliability! nuff' said! lol =)

also if anyone is interested i have a crate blue voodoo 120h(the only good amp to come from that factory) for sale for 300 with the footswitch 7608358383 hit me up if your interested!
Gear i got, since all the cool kids are listing it =):
5150 212 combo
PV XXL
Crate Blue Voodoo120h selling for $300
Roland micro cube
Ibanez RGT42fx
Gibson Les Paul
B-52 AT 412
Genz Benz G-flex 212
Ns2 and Sonic Maximizer

soundgardener75

Post by soundgardener75 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:27 am

Why Peavey?

I've stated this a while back: I love my VTM60 because I sound like me. Now that I have the caps replaced on this bad boy, my Peavey is going to last and outlive me. :lol:
Epiphone ES-339, Les Paul Studio and G400
Ibanez SA LE
Windsor head
Marshall 1922 cab
TC Electronics G System

XloydtilldeathX666

Post by XloydtilldeathX666 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:15 am

crate: what a good amp comes in.

as for bugera, the only real reliability issue is the clips in the circuitry, if you just cut those off and solder to the board asap you should have no real issues. but really they are just cheap clones of peavey and marshall amps anyway.
ultra plus
xxl head
vtm 60
412 ms

past -
bastardized 410 cab
rock master preamp
supreme 160
valveking royal 8
revolution head
vtm 120

mattr_4_president

Post by mattr_4_president » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:13 pm

I really liked the Blue Voodoo heads and the lee jackson designed stealths. It's a real shame what has happened to that company. It's like GM without the govnt bailout. Just horrible horrible mis-management. Talk about not getting it, there is just no appeal in a company like crate. I just hate to see an american company go down like that.
Ibanez S520EX
Washburn KC70V
Aria Pro II
Peavey Valveking 100H
Peavey Express
Ibanez TS9
Boss NS1
Boss GE7

XloydtilldeathX666

Post by XloydtilldeathX666 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:22 pm

thats just a joke the guys at burriss amps used to make. haha.

some crates are ok. and some of the ampegs after the merger too. vh-140c for instance... but yea alot of ampeg/crate quality is pretty dismal.
ultra plus
xxl head
vtm 60
412 ms

past -
bastardized 410 cab
rock master preamp
supreme 160
valveking royal 8
revolution head
vtm 120

mattr_4_president

Post by mattr_4_president » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:37 pm

yeah that merger just killed their quality control. and then they came out with the Blackheart amps. just dismal. Their solid state amps were always terrible in my opinion but like i said the BV120 and Stealth were cool.
Ibanez S520EX
Washburn KC70V
Aria Pro II
Peavey Valveking 100H
Peavey Express
Ibanez TS9
Boss NS1
Boss GE7

thunda

Post by thunda » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:40 pm

They really went south. The old Vintage Club 20 was great, like the Peavey Classic 20. The likes of both will probably not be seen any time soon...

ty
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

Si Gibsons proscriptae soli proscript habebit Gibsons

JamesPaul

Post by JamesPaul » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:11 am

How did I miss this thread?

It's Peavey for me because of:

* tonal variety
* quality products
* excellent customer service
* fair price
Enzo wrote:I find if the amp is working, that is a good point to stop fixing it.
James Paul's Peaveys
Decade, Classics, Ecoustic, Windsors, VYPYR, Triple XXX, XXL, VKs, Bandit, JSXs, VIP, Piranha and a Penta.

JSutter

Post by JSutter » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:11 pm

When I started playing back in 97 my buddy had a TT Bandit. It was loud, cheap, and sounded great. I had a Fender Princeton chorus that had great cleans but that was it. It didnt have the volume or bass and it didnt take dirt well. Another buddy got a JCM900 4500 1/2 stack in 99 and the Bandit sounded better to me. Even pushing the single Sheffield it seemed louder. Now I know I didnt know shit about tone back then and we were using dirt pedals (Shredmaster for me) but it stuck in my head. I ended up getting a TT Supreme 1/2 stack in 01 and played that for years. I had a bad solder joint with the Supreme so I was looking for a tube amp on the cheap in 07. I ended up getting a XXX 1/2 stack for less than a comparable head alone.

For tube amps Ive owned a Single recto, JCM 800 2205, DSL100, and TSL60. I can plug directly into my Ultra and get what I want. Something I could not do with the other amps. They always have issues. I would have to boost them. Or they sound like crap at low volumes. Or both channels sound drastically different. Or the loop is useless.

Dollar for dollar Peavey cant be beat. The economy is down so its time to buy. 6505+ are going for $600 or less. XXX are in the $450 range. Ultra+ around $350. Thats good for the buyer but not for the seller.

I do almost all my own tech work and Peaveys are built well and last. The newer stuff is not on par with the older stuff but that is expected. My buddys 89 VTM is all original and its perfect and still all stock aside from tubes. It was under $200 and will smoke any JCM800. I laugh at 800s on ebay selling for $1000. Same with Mesa, they get so much attention and drive up the cost.

Imagine where Peavey would be today if 80s hair bands used VTMs. Im glad they didn't though, I like buying bad ass tube amps for half as much as they should be.
Present:

Special 212, Backstage

Past:

Raptor 1, Predator International Series, Predator Plus EXP, Raptor Plus EXP, Rock Master preamp, Special 212 (head), 412MS, TNT 115S, Rage 158, Supreme TT, XXX, XXX 412, Ultra Plus, XXL, JSX, Transformer 112

XloydtilldeathX666

Post by XloydtilldeathX666 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:19 pm

80s hair bands DID use vtms. some of them even endorsed them.
ultra plus
xxl head
vtm 60
412 ms

past -
bastardized 410 cab
rock master preamp
supreme 160
valveking royal 8
revolution head
vtm 120