History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
lando27

Re: History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit

Post by lando27 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:30 am

I found a Made in USA 2004 Redstripe last month. Had to fix it up a bit, but it works and sounds awesome.

Here's a video of what I did:
https://youtu.be/3ldufW9SIrQ

EDRo

Post by EDRo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:11 pm

lando27 wrote:I found a Made in USA 2004 Redstripe last month. Had to fix it up a bit, but it works and sounds awesome.

Here's a video of what I did:
https://youtu.be/3ldufW9SIrQ
Nice! Another Bandit back in action!

Hey, any of you guys know of a good extension cabinet that could be used with the Bandit?

EDRo

Post by EDRo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:12 am

Would this one work, meaning would the Bandit's speaker also be active along with the extension cab?

It says it's 16 Ohm

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEV112CAB? ... &-08P8HAQ=

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:18 pm

I think you need a 8 ohm extension speaker, to use with your Redstripe, in order to create 100 watts from a 4 ohm load.
If your amp has a 8 ohm speaker, it's best to match it. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel create a 4 ohm load.
A 16 ohm would probably work, but it's not optimum.

EDRo

Post by EDRo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:32 pm

tele twister wrote:I think you need a 8 ohm extension speaker, to use with your Redstripe, in order to create 100 watts from a 4 ohm load.
If your amp has a 8 ohm speaker, it's best to match it. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel create a 4 ohm load.
A 16 ohm would probably work, but it's not optimum.
Thanks. I thought something was wrong with the cab being 16 Ohm, but wasn't sure.

Orignal

Post by Orignal » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:35 am

The manual you posted for the "Gunsmoke" Bandit is also the missing Solo Series manual you seem to be looking for. I own a Bandit Solo Series and it just so happens I have the manual for it so I'm sure of what I advance here. Same specs, even though the Gunsmoke font disappeared on the real amp! Kinda weird. Could it be the two amps were the same except maybe the speaker changing to Scorpion and the font changing to boring?
Noticed you indicate the bright switch appearing in 1987 with the 75 model, but there was already a bright push pull knob on the Normal Gain section of the Solo Series. (Duh, yeah I guess you knew that : my bad). I love this amp and it is absolutely indestructible!
Thanks for your post.

rbspql64

Post by rbspql64 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum but this thread helped me decide what Bandit to buy.
I got mine, a Solo Series 112 teal with Scorpion speaker (august 1991), for just 80 euros last May from a guy in Rome, Italy, who was selling it that low because he thought it was defective: sometimes it stopped playing. It resumed after being hit or by turning it off and on again.
I took my risks and bought it all the same.
It gave me some problems right before the first gig with my new band. I borrowed an old 60ish-Watt SS Fender combo, which sounded fine in the rehearsing room but in the open it had to be cranked all the way up to bad distortion and still I couldn't cut through the mix.
So I had to plug into my Bandit 112 hoping it would not stop playing in the middle of the gig. It didn't...
Wow! What a monster! Plenty of clean volume, no signs of fatigue, an impressive wall of sound! I was positively shocked since I was already looking for a Fender to replace it with!

I solved its problems by spraying WD40 in the effect loop's input jacks and plugging a couple of jacks in and out a dozen times, plus leaving them in overnight with the Bandit facing upward.

Lately a friend of mine suggested I'd switched to a tube amp, as affordable as a Bugera V55, stating it would be a pity to spoil the signal of my nice Classic Series Strat and my OCD through transistors.
I don't have a job right now, I'm in my early 50s and I have a 7 year old kid. No way I could by new gear without selling the old one.
Funny how I found an enthusiastic buyer who spoke to me in such terms about the Bandit that I decided to keep it! We became pen pals (well, web pals) and now he has found a wonderful TT Bandit 112 he's crazy about and were exchanging ideas and pictures.
I'm happy he talked me out of selling it ...to himself! ;-)

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Welcome rbspql64!

It's good to hear your Bandit "got it done", but spraying WD-40 in there might not be the best idea. That stuff is actually a lubricant.
You would be better off using Deoxit D-5, or a similar, legitimate contact cleaner.
Usually, these old Peavey amps just need a good round of D-5'ing, and they're like new.

s4ndr0

Post by s4ndr0 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:15 am

Mhh, mines not listed, assembled in the UK, looks exactly like the 1995-1999 Model, but doesn't have a Ground Switch on the back.

And it noisy as hell, if I dial up on of the Pre Gain/Post Gain/Reverb knobs or push in the Gain switch on the lead channel I hear the noise that old TVs used to make when they didn't have a channel, is that normal?

BowerR64

Post by BowerR64 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:52 am

Found this little combo of a jem on my local craigslist for $70

Couldnt pass it up. I believe the SG is from 1995, not sure when the silver stripe bandit came out?

SG is a set and im really shocked how well it plays.

twangboy

Post by twangboy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:51 am

ive got Bandits, revolutions and specials.
One note to add. If the tag says LOC 03, that's Plant 3 in Meridian.
If it says LOC 04, that's the Morton facility where they moved single unit combo amp production in the late 90s IIRC.
2- 87' Falcons, 90 Falcon Standard, 91 Falcon Custom,94 Axcelerator, 95 Firenza, Patriot, 83 Impact 2, 84 Horizon 2, Prowler, Wiggy, 2 X Classic 20,Classic 30 II, VK20MH(FieldKing!), 112SX cab, Transtube Pro 100 EFX, Transtube 258EFX

kar353g

Post by kar353g » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:48 am

I have a copy of the original manual for the 1981-83 Peavey Bandit Solo series 50w combo in pdf format. The quality is not brilliant as it's taken from a photocopy of the manual, but it is readable. I can't see how to post it directly here, so if you want a copy, message me.

tele twister

Post by tele twister » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:36 am

Welcome kar353g!

I'm kinda curious...

Is the text and/or illustrations in it any different from this one? http://assets.peavey.com/literature/man ... 349030.pdf

kar353g

Post by kar353g » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:55 am

That's the same manual.
I've had the amp from new and it's still rocking my world.

elmsy

Post by elmsy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:17 pm

GennyFan wrote:Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in China[/u][/b]

(2004-2005) Another obvious difference is that all Chinese Redstripe Bandits have the "pointy logo", .
Not sure if this has already been pointed out, don't think this is correct. I have a Chinese made red stripe with a block logo.