Which Peavey Amp do you have

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
aMetalhead66

Re: Which Peavey Amp do you have

Post by aMetalhead66 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:16 am

I have a Peavey 6505 112 Amp.....
2 ESP EC 256 L/P
A Fender Strat (American w Ash Body)
an Ibanez RG770
a Roland VGA-5 amp..
We are MOTORHEAD...WE Play Rock N Roll

pieholdensuite

Post by pieholdensuite » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Classic 50 410 with what look like old russian PIO tone caps throughout (someone must have gotten bored) and a homemade spruce and birch enclosure. Tubes are as follows: preamp position one sovtek 12ax7lps with matched triodes, preamp position two electro harmonix 12ax7eh with matched triodes, and driver position vintage svetlana 12ax7 with matched triodes. The output tubes are a matched quad of jj tesla el84's that have been treated by cryoset. I love the clarity and warmth of the amp especially when I have my black finger compressor running in front of it while the reverb could be deeper you won't see me complain because I am just fine with all of the other stuff this amp can do. Great sustained notes and overdrive and solid balanced cleans, especially if you just fully crank the tone stack to max on bass,mid and treble.

michael7

Post by michael7 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:40 pm

I bought my first Peavey stack, a musician 412s new back in 1972(serial 417747-all match) and still use it today, I also own a Penta head, a 6505 plus head-both run through Marshall 60a - b cabs. I own a foundation bass which I run through the old musician stack. All in all I feel that this is the best equipment on the market. I have always played heavy metal/hard rock at higher volumes and other than blowing 2 speakers in my old stack-along with my hearing it doesnt get any better

metal_church101

Post by metal_church101 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:16 pm

Music performing tastes: Thrash/Speed/Death/Classic METAL :twisted:

In the past:
- 2x 5150 heads (didn't understand tubes, and was stupid to get rid of them, but we all learn)

- JSX Head (over spent, and had to sell it. Only had it a month with the stock tubes. Played 4 shows with it. Didn't have a chance to really tweek it.)

Currently Own:
- ValveKing 100 (current tube setup: JJ High Gain 6L6's, V1) Tung-Sol 12AX7, V2) High Gain JJ, V3) Sovtek LPS.) This amp definitely stacks up well when plugged into my 5150 cab with the "big boy rigs" that other people play. I ripped off the Peavey Logos to screw with the gear snobs. They have a hard time because the love the sound, but can't tell who makes the head, so they are not sure that they like it or not. Image

- Transtube Supreme Head. Built like a tank, does death metal well, I run an EQ pedal in the effects loop for a solo boost by kicking up the mids to make it like a 3 channel amp. Great backup head.

- 5150 4x12 bottom Cabinet Customized to have a metal grill over it, and now sits in a permanent hardshell case. I ripped off the Peavey Logos to screw with the gear snobs. It works every time.

- Windsor 4x12 top Cabinet Brand new. Only played it in practice once with my newly acquired Marshall AVT150 head. Sounds pretty good. Worth the $200 I spent on it.
Gear:
Peavey XXX and VK100 Head
Marshall AVT150 head
Peavey 5150 and Windsor Cabs
Peavey 6505+ 112 with 5150 block letter speaker
Dean Flying Vs (Dimarzio X2N bridge,Dimarzio Evolution neck)
Electric 7 strings (Dimarzio X2N7 bridge,Dimarzio Blaze neck)

triguy

Post by triguy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:31 pm

metal_church101 wrote:Currently Own:
- ValveKing 100 (current tube setup: JJ High Gain 6L6's, V1) Tung-Sol 12AX7, V2) High Gain JJ, V3) Sovtek LPS.) This amp definitely stacks up well when plugged into my 5150 cab with the "big boy rigs" that other people play. I ripped off the Peavey Logos to screw with the gear snobs. They have a hard time because the love the sound, but can't tell who makes the head, so they are not sure that they like it or not.

I love this! Please continue to screw with them.
Do you use just the amp distortion or pedals?

Triguy

metal_church101

Post by metal_church101 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:24 am

triguy wrote:
metal_church101 wrote:Currently Own:
- ValveKing 100 (current tube setup: JJ High Gain 6L6's, V1) Tung-Sol 12AX7, V2) High Gain JJ, V3) Sovtek LPS.) This amp definitely stacks up well when plugged into my 5150 cab with the "big boy rigs" that other people play. I ripped off the Peavey Logos to screw with the gear snobs. They have a hard time because the love the sound, but can't tell who makes the head, so they are not sure that they like it or not.

I love this! Please continue to screw with them.
Do you use just the amp distortion or pedals?

Triguy
Thank you. It gets fun at times. I just use the amp distortion. I run the texture knob in the back at between 3 and 4 o'clock.

I also usually run a volume drop of some kind (I got one on ebay, passive, with a potentiometer), to rull the volume back while I run the preamp harder.

This gives me enough gain to where I can use the crunch chanel for my extreme metal rhythms, and the lead channel for my leads.

As far as pedals, I just plug into my Ibanez Weepin Demon Wah pedal. I have been able to tweek that to where I can get the sound out of a Dunlop 535Q wah pedal, but the Ibanez wah is switchless.

For my 5150 cabinet, I put the metal grille over the cloth covering, and pulled off the peavey logos to screw with people. They usually tell me that my cabinet is killer sounding and want to know what kind it is. I usually tell them that it is some custom imported name brand that cost me over $1,500 and they usually reply with "Yeah, I believe it. No wonder you have it in that hard shell case to protect it."
Gear:
Marshall AVT150 head

triguy

Post by triguy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:18 pm

metal_church101 wrote:[
I also usually run a volume drop of some kind (I got one on ebay, passive, with a potentiometer), to rull the volume back while I run the preamp harder.

This gives me enough gain to where I can use the crunch chanel for my extreme metal rhythms, and the lead channel for my leads.
Wow! I'm surprised you can drive your first channel hard enough to get that kind of breakup. You are talking about the Valveking head right? With 2 channels, essentially clean and lead? You had referred to the channels as crunch and lead, so I wasn't sure if I'm understanding correctly. If so, I'm amazed that you can get it to do that.

Triguy

metal_church101

Post by metal_church101 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:03 pm

triguy wrote:
metal_church101 wrote:[

Wow! I'm surprised you can drive your first channel hard enough to get that kind of breakup. You are talking about the Valveking head right? With 2 channels, essentially clean and lead? You had referred to the channels as crunch and lead, so I wasn't sure if I'm understanding correctly. If so, I'm amazed that you can get it to do that.

Triguy
Maybe my verbage is wrong, LOL.

Yes, it is the VK100 head. Tubes: v1) Tung-Sol. v2) High-Gain JJ. v3) Sovtek-LPS. Power Tubes: JJ6L6's with early breakup (all tubes purchased from dougstubes.com)

Basically, how I run it is with the clean is without the bright switch pushed in. I have gain boost and volume boost buttons pressed in as well. I run the that $30 "volume drop" I bought off ebay called the volume drop (as I mentioned earlier) in my effects loop, to crank the volume back (works kind of as a master volume allowing me to run my preamp tubes harder.) Leaving the texture knob in the back of the amp at 3 O'clock, this now pretty much gives me a 3 channel, footswitchable amp.

Looking down at the foor pedal:

- The left button switches from clean to my rhythm distortion (with everything set above, and running the volumes on my amp harder, but then cranking the volume drop knob back), gives me your extreme metal distortion (Pantera, old Metallica Rid the Lightning-ish, Cannible Corpse).

- The right button allows me to switch between what I call my rhythm and lead channels. I guess this is a gain and volume boost with the settings I have, giving me the solo volume as well as the sustain I need, while still getting the needed amounts of death metal gain on my master volume.

Other things involved would prob be that I have the Dimarzio X2N bridge pickups. I love the tone of them and they have a lot of output. Having all monster rock gold plated cables has also given me (from what I can tell, a noticeable tone difference.) The instrument cables used in my effects loop to connect the volume drop are also monster rock (gold plated.) The only pedal I have in front of my amp is my Ibanez Weepin Demon wah pedal.

I also use a monster speaker cable plugged into that 5150 bottom 1/2 cab.

So, without having the money to buy and test out the XXXs and 6505s (or the Carvin V3) guitar heads, this is what I used for playing extreme thrash/speed/death metal live :-)
Gear:
Marshall AVT150 head

triguy

Post by triguy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Sounds like you've got a great system working for you Metal_church! Doesn't sound to me like you need anything else!

Triguy

metal_church101

Post by metal_church101 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:15 pm

triguy wrote:Sounds like you've got a great system working for you Metal_church! Doesn't sound to me like you need anything else!

Triguy
Thanks. The only other tweaking I can think of as far as the head goes would be:

- Experiment with different power tubes (once again, I am already liking the JJ's in there)

- Experiment with different pre-amp tubes (once again, I am already liking the ones I have in there)
- I also liked having all 3 pre-amp tubes being Tung-Sols as well.

So there is more room to experiment, but it is not killing me to because I like the sound I have.

But having said that, someone ones said musically about tone:

"If you are ever satisfied, then it is all over."
Gear:
Marshall AVT150 head

Johnny Banjo

Post by Johnny Banjo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Howdy,

Well I'm a SS peavey guy!! I just got tired of foolin' with tubes, so I use an electro-harmonix LPB2ube preamp pedal with my Boss ME-50

Here is my list of Peaveys !!

Bandit 65 w original scorpion
Special 130 w 8 ohm eminence "swamp-thang"
Silver-stripe TT studio-pro
Red-stripe TT studio-pro
blue-stripe envoy 110 w/ eminence "Ragin-Cajun"
1983 Session 500 w/ original black-widow
400bh 2x10 w/ horn

I've had just about every Bandit ever made and I think the Bandit65 is the best! I won't buy anything made in CHINA..only american made Peaveys for me !! and my special 130 is my main giggin' amp and sometimes I'll bring one of my studio-pros and set it on top of the special 130 for a lil more Beef on stage...... Peaveys Rock !!! Johnny Banjo

DOMA

Post by DOMA » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Vintage Butcher
VT- Fender Bassman 2x15
Peavey 4x12 with Sheffields
Ibanez Tube Screamer
This set-up Fuckin' rips .....that's my opinion anyway.

misterdetail

Post by misterdetail » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Here's an updated picture of my rig. It's a Peavey Prowler and a Peavey 112SX extension cabinet. Just ordered new tubes for it yesterday.
Attachments
DSCN5696.JPG
DSCN5696.JPG (372.48 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
Peavey 6505 Piranha

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Romans 6:23

CharlieP

Post by CharlieP » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:29 pm

American VK112!
Charlie
Gib LP Robot 2008 Met. Red, , 5E3 Build 2014
Fend Tele Dlx2010 SPL ED w/Tron Tune
3rd Build 6G3 Br. Deluxe Head 2018
VK 112 Web OT Rotary Swit. Bias Mod
Gret. G2622 P90s,G2655T, G5034, Pro Jet, Epi WildKat 2019

misterdetail

Post by misterdetail » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:38 pm

CharlieP wrote:American VK112!
Do you mean the Prowler, CharlieP? If so, then Yup, for the most part!
Peavey 6505 Piranha

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Romans 6:23