Peavey Classic 30 settings

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
bwnatural

Peavey Classic 30 settings

Post by bwnatural » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:29 pm

In the Media section on this web site, the guitarist in the video mentions having the the equalizer flat. What does that mean? . . . having bass, middle, and treble all at the same setting?

Classic30inCincy

Re: Peavey Classic 30 settings

Post by Classic30inCincy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Personally own two C30's and......

Have zero understanding why anyone would want Classic 30 set flat.

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

Classic30inCincy

Post by Classic30inCincy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Classic 30 has "Passive EQ"........

Dial Back

Do NOT Use "Wide Open" Settings

Suggest:

Bass @ 8

Mids @ 5.5 - 6

Treble @ 6.5 - 7

PAF Classic Series Tube Kit.......Created By Classic30inCincy
Majic Mojo Tradename..........Created By Classic30inCincy
Graduate Of Joe Friday / Dragnet School Of Correspondence
Doctorate Degree Diplomacy From Royal Order Possum Lodge

triguy

Post by triguy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:11 pm

bwnatural,

Yes, by "flat" he means all the tone knobs are at 12 o'clock. If they were sliders on an eq they would form a flat line. He probably wanted to demonstrate the "default" tone of the amp. Then listeners would know that it could get more treble, mid and bass from there.

Triguy

bman5150

Post by bman5150 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:18 am

Here's my settings on the od channel but remember I have a different speaker now and it changed the tone significantly:

Boost engaged
Pre-10
Post-3.5
Bass-5
Mid-10.5
Treble-9

Tweak treble and verb to taste. I turn it down the higher up the post goes. I think these settings produce a nice classic rock tone even without using any pedals.
Peavey Stuff:
Wolfgang guitar
5150 Combo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlqoQ0Ou5dI
Classic 30 with Avatar 212 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kgRpS2dY8M

Little Jerry

Post by Little Jerry » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:13 pm

bman5150 wrote:Here's my settings on the od channel but remember I have a different speaker now and it changed the tone significantly:

Boost engaged
Pre-10
Post-3.5
Bass-5
Mid-10.5
Treble-9

Tweak treble and verb to taste. I turn it down the higher up the post goes. I think these settings produce a nice classic rock tone even without using any pedals.
Thank you bman5150! Your post here did more to help me dial in my tone on this amp than any other post I have come across. To be honest, I was getting frustrated with my Classic 30. While it had a nice overall clean tone, I couldn't seem to make it crunch in a way that sounded pleasing. I tried switching out tubes and playing with the settings, but no luck. I started using a Boss pedal to get overdrive and crunch, but found myself playing on the clean drive most of the time.

I tried doing a search on this forum for Classic 30 settings, but I guess I don't know how to use the search function very well and just got everything that had Classic or 30 or settings in it. In an act of desperation, I finally did a Google search on Peavey Classic 30 settings and this thread popped up.

The settings above provided an excellent starting place for me to see just how versatile this amp really is. With the amp on these settings and my guitar volume knob at about five, I get a nice rock 'n roll kind of crunch, Neil Young like. If I roll the guitar volume knob down to about 2.5, I get a nice overdrive sound, sort of like Joe Bonamassa. The amp is also very receptive to changes in the guitar's tone knobs, which can also add or take away crunch.

I am a self taught guitarist and play for my own pleasure. Needless to say that I am now playing with a lot more enthusiasm as I play around the settings above. Thanks!

bman5150

Post by bman5150 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Little Jerry-Glad you found that old post of mine helpful. I don't gig with the C30 anymore but regularly use it for band practice. By the way, the best overall hot rodded overdriven tone I've found on the C30 was playing it with a ClinchFX EP Pre+ pedal and a moderately hot PAF pickup. Full guitar volume and the EP Pre set to slight boost yields a solid hard rock tone. Back off the guitar's volume and you get a nice standard rock tone. I've got YouTube videos that demo the C30 with these settings if interested.
Peavey Stuff:
Wolfgang guitar
5150 Combo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlqoQ0Ou5dI
Classic 30 with Avatar 212 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kgRpS2dY8M

pabcrane17

Post by pabcrane17 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Hiya

I'm pleased that you found a setting which pleases you.

Just a quick note which might be quite basic but you will find that you might (actually need) to adjust these parameters slightly for different rooms; especially if or when you are gigging or jamming - it's just simple and often small tweeking which will improve your touch, sound and feel for that space.

It took me way to long to finally do this!