Envoy 110 Effects Loop

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
Terry Allan Hall

Re: Envoy 110 Effects Loop

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:36 pm

TimmyV wrote:The Jensen Mod-50-10 is a great speaker for this use, although the stock Blue Marvel isn't bad, either. My Envoy, a Red Line, has a great sounding 'verb, no idea what other Envoy models used, though.

Got my Jenson MOD 10/50 today from eBay! $35.00 shipped to my door. Can't beat that. All I have to say is WOW! This speaker sounds great and its not even broken in. Better bass better treble and mids. This little amp fills a room with sound now. With stock speaker it sounded a little boxy. Not anymore! I love it.

Got mine off of Ebay, as well, and have the same feelings about the MOD 10/50...a buddy of mine bought one of the newer, Chinese-made Envoys and he decided to go with the MOD 10/35, figuring it'd break up a little better (he's a "blooz-rocker" :D ). Sounds pretty good and, so far, has held up.

One of these days, we're going to swap speakers for a hour or two and see what differece it makes for each edition to run through each speaker.

I've also got a Celestion GL10-35 that needs reconing...it also sounds pretty good, so I may put it in another Envoy110 (can a dude have too many? :lol: )

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm waiting on the parts to arrive from Peavey for my envoy t dynamics mod. This ones gonna be a bit more difficult than the Fx loop .ill give you the low down on it whenever I get the courage up to attempt it.

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:21 pm

TimmyV wrote:I'm waiting on the parts to arrive from Peavey for my envoy t dynamics mod. This ones gonna be a bit more difficult than the Fx loop .ill give you the low down on it whenever I get the courage up to attempt it.
Cool...looking forward to hearing the details!

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 pm

double post

65 SG

Post by 65 SG » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:23 am

I have to thank both you guys (Terry and Timmy), I just landed a Transtube II Envoy for $30, reverb was crapped so I just ordered that long pan Terry suggested, and the jacks to do the loop mod Timmy worked out. Also going to add an external speaker jack so I can drive a cabinet with this little guy...what a great, flexible little amp

I'm having sacrilegious thoughts about my tube amps now...
'03 SG Special, '08 LP Special DC, '60s Dano/Silvertone, Epi Moderne, Epi EB-0, '60s Telestar semi-hollow,
Classic 20 w/6V6 mod, much modded VK112, Windsor Studio combo, Transtube Envoy II, '61 Reverberocket

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:01 am

Last edited by TimmyV on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:09 am

65 SG wrote:I have to thank both you guys (Terry and Timmy), I just landed a Transtube II Envoy for $30, reverb was crapped so I just ordered that long pan Terry suggested, and the jacks to do the loop mod Timmy worked out. Also going to add an external speaker jack so I can drive a cabinet with this little guy...what a great, flexible little amp

THAT'S GREAT DEAL!
They are pretty awesome little amps. Hey you'll be glad to know that I was able to successfully preform the t dynamics mod I ask you about. I'm going to post a thread on it as soon as I can think of a good way to explain it on here. Because I can't seem to post anything like a schematic from my email on here. By the way when you put your reverb pan in it will be a tight fit but once you squeeze it past the tolex it fits perfect,no binding . No room to bag it though.
Last edited by TimmyV on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:27 am

TimmyV wrote:
65 SG wrote:I have to thank both you guys (Terry and Timmy), I just landed a Transtube II Envoy for $30, reverb was crapped so I just ordered that long pan Terry suggested, and the jacks to do the loop mod Timmy worked out. Also going to add an external speaker jack so I can drive a cabinet with this little guy...what a great, flexible little amp

They are pretty awesome little amps. Hey you'll be glad to know that I was able to successfully preform the t dynamics mod I ask you about. I'm going to post a thread on it as soon as I can think of a good way to explain it on here. Because I can't seem to post anything like a schematic from my email on here.

I'll can tell you and Terry and you'll understand. Eliminate r155 , bring r130 and c110 up studio pro specs, swap r134 and r139 ,install the vr1 dual pot where ca1 is suppose to be while eliminating the led circuit. And that's it. I mounted my pot on the back of the chassis. This mod also seems to me to ad some OOMF! to the bottom end but it just may be the new mod 10/50 speaker breaking in.U be the judge. All of these parts only cost about 5 Bucks total shipped to your door direct from Peavey.

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Sweet deal! 8)

65 SG

Post by 65 SG » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:00 pm

Well I had to drive about 175 miles round trip so all told it cost me about $55. Putting $30 worth of parts in it is a no-brainer, $85 is still cheap as dirt. Picked up a Peavey 12" wedge monitor in another trade, it has TWO old style pointy logos on it - and I may steal one for the Envoy grille

You guys that swapped in an 8 ohm speaker, do you notice any loss of volume and/or headroom? By spec its a 40 watt amp, 15.5 VRMS into 6 ohms = 40.04166666 watts, give or take. :roll:

Theoretically the max power the amp can deliver with an 8 ohm load is 30.03125 watts. That's a pretty large drop (but still a good amount of power) so I'm wondering...

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:00 pm

I can only speak for the jensen mod 10/50 8ohm. But it seems louder / more efficient than the blue marvel. I noticed right out of the box it had more tops and bottom end. Also after the t dynamics mod the amp seems much louder. You could probably look at the schematics and tell me why. But I don't know. I don't know if u got your reverb pan yet but I'm telling you, you won't believe the quality of the verb coming from this little amp withe the long accutronics tank. I'm happy for ya cause I know how happy you're going to be once you do the mods to this amp. 8) :lol:

Definitely a Diamond in the rough!

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:38 am

65 SG wrote:Well I had to drive about 175 miles round trip so all told it cost me about $55. Putting $30 worth of parts in it is a no-brainer, $85 is still cheap as dirt. Picked up a Peavey 12" wedge monitor in another trade, it has TWO old style pointy logos on it - and I may steal one for the Envoy grille

You guys that swapped in an 8 ohm speaker, do you notice any loss of volume and/or headroom? By spec its a 40 watt amp, 15.5 VRMS into 6 ohms = 40.04166666 watts, give or take. :roll:

Theoretically the max power the amp can deliver with an 8 ohm load is 30.03125 watts. That's a pretty large drop (but still a good amount of power) so I'm wondering...
The Jensen MOD 50-10 is efficient enough that there's no discernable volume loss (efficiency is really how loud a given speaker will be given a specific wattage).

One of the ever helpful guys @ Peavey explained that this 6-ohm amp works well at 4- and 8-ohms, the only difference being that at 4-ohms, you might have it shut down (thermal overload) if you run it at "10" and REALLY lay into it...otoh, even when I plug into an auxilary 8-ohm cab, resulting in a 4-ohm load, I've never had it happen, probably because I almost never turn my Envoy about 1/2-way (if we play somewhere where that's not loud enough, I'll mic it into the PA).

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Ok here is the speaker comparison . The blue marvel 6ohm measures 5.6 ohms on the volt/ohm meter and the mod 10/50 8ohm measures 6.5 ohms. So the jensen is a better match in my book than the stock speaker.

65 SG

Post by 65 SG » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Impedance (Z) is more than the DC resistance, its the square root of the sum of the squares of the resistance and the reactance of the inductive component of the voice coil, at a given frequency (typically 1kHz). :? That said, the DC resistance is close to the stated impedance but for common single layer VCs like this, it is never exactly 4 or 8 or 16 ohms - as you've noted, the DC resistance is LOWER than the true impedance, unless the VC has zero inductance, which ain't possible.

The nice thing about an 8 ohm load here is that it stresses the PA chip less than the stock speaker thus a closed back cabinet is probably do-able without worry about thermal issues...try that on a tube combo.

Wonder what the dB / W figure is for the Blue Marvel variants - I have an 8 ohm big magnet version pulled from my C20 (replaced it with a Jensen C10-R) that I was considering trying. Thinking 40w in that small a volume is going to be trouble anyway...

kingfool1

Post by kingfool1 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:14 pm

I put a Ragin' Cajun in mine which has a pretty good sized (30 oz.) magnet and the amp seems to like it just fine. I think the DC resistance measured right at 7.0. I could say for sure about he volume difference, but I think it greatly improved the tone. There was no noticeable volume loss anyway, if anything maybe more efficient.