Envoy 110 Effects Loop

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
GennyFan

Re: Envoy 110 Effects Loop

Post by GennyFan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:51 pm

fadetoz wrote:Well Peavey gave me schematics but would not help on the placement of the effects loop. I may have to give up on this one since I'm not going to pay a tech to do this mod since it's not a expensive amp.
I had something similar with a 1998 Chevy truck... I wanted a sunroof installed, but Chevy wouldn't do it. I decided to give up on it because I didn't want to pay and it's kind of an older truck... :P :roll: :wink:

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:10 pm

GennyFan wrote:
fadetoz wrote:Well Peavey gave me schematics but would not help on the placement of the effects loop. I may have to give up on this one since I'm not going to pay a tech to do this mod since it's not a expensive amp.
I had something similar with a 1998 Chevy truck... I wanted a sunroof installed, but Chevy wouldn't do it. I decided to give up on it because I didn't want to pay and it's kind of an older truck... :P :roll: :wink:
It's an easy mod on most trucks made after 1957...

8)

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Fri May 24, 2013 2:57 pm

I know it's been a few months since this posted but I also have a red stripe envoy that I have been modding. I swapped the crappy reverb tank out for a accutronics 4eb2c1b 17" pan . Believe it or not it fits you just have to squeeze it past the telex in the back and it fits perfect. It made a huge difference in the quality of this amp. I'm ordering a jensen mod 10-50 speaker for it . I've heard that it is big improvement over the blue marvel. IMHO this amp is the perfect rehearsal amp. It's small,light and is load enough to keep up with a drummer. Which to your conclusion the only missing from this amp is an fx loop . I'm going to tackle this problem because that's what I do. I've opened up the chassis on it and on the rear pcb board next to the foot switch jack are two places for two more jacks complete with solder blobs on the opposite side of the board.while looking at pics of the back panel of a studio pro 112 from the same series of amps as the envoy those two jacks are fx loop send and returns. So my theory peavey used the same layout on the Envoy and studio pro. So I'm going to spend about 5 bucks and order a couple of pcb switched jacks off EBay . Solder them in and see what happens. When I get around to doing this I will post the results

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Fri May 24, 2013 5:56 pm

TimmyV wrote:I know it's been a few months since this posted but I also have a red stripe envoy that I have been modding. I swapped the crappy reverb tank out for a accutronics 4eb2c1b 17" pan . Believe it or not it fits you just have to squeeze it past the telex in the back and it fits perfect. It made a huge difference in the quality of this amp. I'm ordering a jensen mod 10-50 speaker for it . I've heard that it is big improvement over the blue marvel. IMHO this amp is the perfect rehearsal amp. It's small,light and is load enough to keep up with a drummer. Which to your conclusion the only missing from this amp is an fx loop . I'm going to tackle this problem because that's what I do. I've opened up the chassis on it and on the rear pcb board next to the foot switch jack are two places for two more jacks complete with solder blobs on the opposite side of the board.while looking at pics of the back panel of a studio pro 112 from the same series of amps as the envoy those two jacks are fx loop send and returns. So my theory peavey used the same layout on the Envoy and studio pro. So I'm going to spend about 5 bucks and order a couple of pcb switched jacks off EBay . Solder them in and see what happens. When I get around to doing this I will post the results
The Jensen Mod-50-10 is a great speaker for this use, although the stock Blue Marvel isn't bad, either. My Envoy, a Red Line, has a great sounding 'verb, no idea what other Envoy models used, though.

Very much looking forward to reading how well your "experiment" works out! 8)

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Mon May 27, 2013 10:09 am

This is the version I have. I think it's the same as yours.just waiting on the jacks to arrive.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 8019 times

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Mon May 27, 2013 10:18 am

I've been trying to post pics on here but for some reason I'm not having much luck. I'm new to this forum maybe I'm doing something wrong. Maybe it's an ipad thing? :(

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Mon May 27, 2013 11:07 am

TimmyV wrote:This is the version I have. I think it's the same as yours.just waiting on the jacks to arrive.
Yes, indeed, that's one of the Redline series.

On the back does it say "Designed in America" or "Built in Meridian, Mississippi"?

Recently discovered a source for chicken-head knobs that exactly match the red on the amp, so I'm contemplating a little "pimp my amp" project. May have a matching leather handle made for it, as well.

Maybe even update the black tolex to something a bit snazzier, once I decide which color I like best:

Image 8)

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Mon May 27, 2013 1:11 pm

Made I'm Mississippi. Imade sure it was USA made before I bought it. Not that the Chinese ones aren't any good. Just like the fact that its made in America. I'm definitely a modder. The first thing I do when I get a new guitar or amp is take it all apart and see how I can improve it. I can't help myself. As I mentioned before I put a full 17" accutronics reverb tank in it. I can get very wet drippy fender type reverb with it. I've also wired the speaker wires up to a 1/4" jack that is mounted in the whole where they come out of the chassis. This way I can just unplug the speaker and use it as a head for a speaker cab. It's an easy mod.and it makes the amp more versatile . I've been thinking about recovering it too but it looks brand new . So I probably won't but some of those pics you have look pretty nice. I also have a red stripe bandit that I modded with an accutronics 4eb3cib long decay reverb tank out of a fender hot rod deviile. I also made a custom baffle for it . Instead of a 12" Sheffield it now sports 3 jensen mod 8-20s. That amp is amazing now! I tried to fit 4 of them in there there's just not enough room. Had to play around with some resistors to get the ohms right. I'm pretty confident this fx loop deal is going to work. I'd say Peavey just left the jacks out so a person would have to upgrade to the studio pro to get an fx loop. Or it just might blow up. :D . But that is where all the fun is. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Mon May 27, 2013 1:41 pm

TimmyV wrote:Made I'm Mississippi. Imade sure it was USA made before I bought it. Not that the Chinese ones aren't any good. Just like the fact that its made in America. I'm definitely a modder. The first thing I do when I get a new guitar or amp is take it all apart and see how I can improve it. I can't help myself. As I mentioned before I put a full 17" accutronics reverb tank in it. I can get very wet drippy fender type reverb with it. I've also wired the speaker wires up to a 1/4" jack that is mounted in the whole where they come out of the chassis. This way I can just unplug the speaker and use it as a head for a speaker cab. It's an easy mod.and it makes the amp more versatile . I've been thinking about recovering it too but it looks brand new . So I probably won't but some of those pics you have look pretty nice. I also have a red stripe bandit that I modded with an accutronics 4eb3cib long decay reverb tank out of a fender hot rod deviile. I also made a custom baffle for it . Instead of a 12" Sheffield it now sports 3 jensen mod 8-20s. That amp is amazing now! I tried to fit 4 of them in there there's just not enough room. Had to play around with some resistors to get the ohms right. I'm pretty confident this fx loop deal is going to work. I'd say Peavey just left the jacks out so a person would have to upgrade to the studio pro to get an fx loop. Or it just might blow up. :D . But that is where all the fun is. Keeping my fingers crossed!
The more I think about it, I grow more intrigued about the possibility of installing an FX loop in mine, too, so I'm looking forward to hearing more about how well your experiment works out.

Have both borrowed a Studio Pro and owned a Redline Bandit for a while, but find the Envoy is the perfect size for electric gigging, mic'd through the PA in larger venues, straight, on my amp stand, for smaller (up to 100 in the audience) rooms.

Harley Peavey's a genius for figuring out Transtube! 8)

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Mon May 27, 2013 4:38 pm

I agree about the whole transtube thing.ive owned many tube amps. Fender deluxe,5150,peavey classics and others. I've never been more pleased with an amp than when I first got my envoy and bandit. They just sound and respond so nice. They break up just a little different than a tube amp but at the same time very similar. The eq on these amps is wher the versatility comes into play.

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Mon May 27, 2013 6:23 pm

TimmyV wrote:I agree about the whole transtube thing.ive owned many tube amps. Fender deluxe,5150,peavey classics and others. I've never been more pleased with an amp than when I first got my envoy and bandit. They just sound and respond so nice. They break up just a little different than a tube amp but at the same time very similar. The eq on these amps is wher the versatility comes into play.
Indeed....plus, since starting to use Transtubes, I've never arrived at a gig with a suddenly "wonky" tube to deal with! :?

These things are pretty much bullet-proof and unless Hartley designs something even better, I'll use Redlines until that first shovel-load of dirt smacks me in the face! :lol:

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Tue May 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Well I finally got the jacks today for my envoy fx loop mod,soldered them in and it worked but not how I expected the modulated fx seem to work ok but I'm getting some kind of self osolating effect on my delays and some feedback on the reverbs if I turn the level up to high. I can't get any of my reverbs to give just a single repeat. The lowest I can get is several repeats then to infinity from there on. I'm scratching my head on this one. I meant to say delays instead of reverbs. I think I'll start anew thread on this to see if I can get some help. :shock:

Terry Allan Hall

Post by Terry Allan Hall » Wed May 29, 2013 10:13 am

Good luck in getting this sorted out! Hopefully someone here can help.

65 SG

Post by 65 SG » Wed May 29, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm pretty sure the two jacks are for preamp out and headphone out. I thought they were always populated on all Envoys but apparently, at some point they were omitted (probably because few people ever use them). Consult the schematic, and get one for the Studio Pro 110, and compare.

Anyway it's oscillating because you are injecting speaker signal back into the preamp. It won't work the way you want it to unless you add an FX loop buffer and do some rewiring.
'03 SG Special, '08 LP Special DC, '60s Dano/Silvertone, Epi Moderne, Epi EB-0, '60s Telestar semi-hollow,
Classic 20 w/6V6 mod, much modded VK112, Windsor Studio combo, Transtube Envoy II, '61 Reverberocket

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:25 pm

The Jensen Mod-50-10 is a great speaker for this use, although the stock Blue Marvel isn't bad, either. My Envoy, a Red Line, has a great sounding 'verb, no idea what other Envoy models used, though.

Got my Jenson MOD 10/50 today from eBay! $35.00 shipped to my door. Can't beat that. All I have to say is WOW! This speaker sounds great and its not even broken in. Better bass better treble and mids. This little amp fills a room with sound now. With stock speaker it sounded a little boxy. Not anymore! I love it.