Rage 158 versions?

This forum is for talking about all kinds of Peavey guitar amplifiers.
wheelman

Rage 158 versions?

Post by wheelman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:08 pm

I bought a Rage 158 back in the early 90s, I think it was 93, which I messed with for a few months then stored away for years along with my guitar. I recently got back into playing, or at least trying, and drug the Rage back out and realized it is a very nice sounding little amp. Being the person I am I usually over research things so I got interested finding out as much as I can about this little amp.

To start out I looked for a manufacture date, couldn't find one anywhere but did notice that the speaker has no sticker on the magnet indicating its brand, although "made in China" is printed on it in ink.
I searched ebay for Rage listings and noticed the shape of the power switch and the color of the knobs changed over time, mine are all grey, the power switch is rectangular and the channel switch is round, both are push/push type.
Mine doesn't have a modern/vintage switch as some I've seen do but seems to have everything else the newer ones have. It is what I've seen called "Silver Stripe", I think. :)

Anyway, I guess what I'm looking for is any other information you guys can provide me related to it, i.e. when it was manufactured, does it have 4558 op-amps or is it all discrete transistors, is it one of the more desirable units, how can it be improved, etc..?

BTW: I'm really interested in buying a similar generation Bandit, what should I look for as distinguishing features? Or should I look for a later model to get the best version for the money?

Thanks
Wheelman (Ken Wheeler)

Wiggy

Re: Rage 158 versions?

Post by Wiggy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:39 pm

I have 2 of the "Red Stripe" versions with the "Modern/Vintage" switch. One has a "block" logo and the other has the classic "pointy" logo. They both were made in China and sound the same to me, meaning very good.

They definitely have soul, but are a bit tricky to dial in. The variety of tone must adjusted to the specific instrument you are using them with. That why I have 2 of them. Once you find the sound, they really sing.

-Wigs
Last edited by Wiggy on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wiggy

Post by Wiggy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:47 pm

...concerning the Bandit.

The "silver stripe", made in the US in the late 90s with the Sheffield 1230 driver, is excellent.
Also, the "red stripe" (US/1230 early 2000s) is also recommend.

-Wigs

wheelman

Post by wheelman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:16 pm

I found a bit more info that might be interesting to others, the Peavey documentation for the Rage 158 available though this link http://assets.peavey.com/literature/man ... 303036.pdf shows the exact model I have. Based on the publish date at the end of the document mine must have been manufactured in around 95 or 96. My memory isn't what it used to be, I must've bought it around that time frame, I'm pretty sure it wasn't later than that.

Thanks for the info Wigs, I've had similar experience with mine but not having more than a couple guitars makes it less of an issue. :)

Wheelman (Ken Wheeler)

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:25 pm

I really dig the smaller peavey transtube amps. I've got the latest version of the backstage. A little 10 watt 1x6 combo. Very basic but plug my digitech rp355 in front of it and it sounds wonderful. I really like the smallness of it. It's small but it has a full sound.

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:15 am

wheelman wrote:Mine doesn't have a modern/vintage switch as some I've seen do but seems to have everything else the newer ones have. It is what I've seen called "Silver Stripe", I think. :)

Anyway, I guess what I'm looking for is any other information you guys can provide me related to it, i.e. when it was manufactured, does it have 4558 op-amps or is it all discrete transistors, is it one of the more desirable units, how can it be improved, etc..?

BTW: I'm really interested in buying a similar generation Bandit, what should I look for as distinguishing features? Or should I look for a later model to get the best version for the money?
Hi Ken,

Welcome to the Peavey forum! 8)

Yes, yours would be the Silver Stripe model, which is the first generation of Transtube. According to Enzo, the Transtubes are full of discrete components (please see Enzo's post below! :oops: :shock: :wink: )

As far as desirability, that's a tough call. The Rage was one of Peavey's least expensive amplifiers for years, and even Peavey's more expensive entry-level models such as the Backstage, Studio Pro, or Envoy aren't particularly valuable to collectors, but of course, all of these models have fans here on the forum! :wink:

As for which Bandit is the best value for the money, it really depends on what you're after. I started another thread to help identify the different types of Bandits and how they've evolved over the years:

http://forums.peavey.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14177

Personally, I'm partial to the US built Silver Stripe and Red Stripe Bandits. The new Chinese Bandit sounds very good, but it's my understanding that the stock speaker is somewhat of a weak link...

Therefore, in terms of value for your money, a used USA Transtube will be tough to beat.

As far as Silver vs. Red Stripe, they are very very close. It will probably boil down to which one you can find in better condition at a better price.

Hope this helps! :mrgreen:
Last edited by GennyFan on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:15 am

Yes, yours would be the Silver Stripe model, and as far as I know, all Peavey amps had converted to op-amps by the early 80's. Therefore, yours shouldn't have any discrete components.
How about the Transtube versions? They came later and are full of discrete transistors instead of op amps. And they sound good too.

GennyFan

Post by GennyFan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:43 am

Enzo wrote:
Yes, yours would be the Silver Stripe model, and as far as I know, all Peavey amps had converted to op-amps by the early 80's. Therefore, yours shouldn't have any discrete components.
How about the Transtube versions? They came later and are full of discrete transistors instead of op amps. And they sound good too.
Thank you Enzo! I stand corrected! Sorry, I did not realize this. Thanks for the edjuma-kayshun! :oops: :? :oops:

wheelman

Post by wheelman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:15 am

Thanks for the info on the Rage and Bandits.

My Rage is definitely a TransTube model, has the logo on the front and that was part of what lead me to buy it back in the day.

Just to satisfy my curiosity I pulled the chassis out of the cabinet and sure enough there are no op-amps visible on the circuit board. :)

Wheelman (Ken Wheeler)

TimmyV

Post by TimmyV » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:08 pm

All my Redstripe TT amps have op amps. Strange? My new little backstage TT has one. JRC 4885 , the infamous tube screamer chip!

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:55 am

The transtube thing is mainly a preamp thing, there are still uses for ICs in the power amp or for that , matter reverb drive or something. But the op amps of the preamp would be replaced by discrete darlington pairs of transistors.

The 4558 was the most common op amp used through the 80s and 90s. For just everything.

marlonfa

Post by marlonfa » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi, i have a Peavey Rage 158 BUILT UNDER U.S PATENT NOS ... AND SINGAPORE PAT PEND. Was it made in USA or China? The his speaker is a Blue Marvel. Thanks

Enzo

Post by Enzo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:24 am

Read the whole rear panel. There is that listing of all the countries they hold patents for it in. But over by the power cord, does it not say something like "Designed in USA, MAde in China"?

It should be printed on it what couintry it was made in, regardless of wher it was designed.

marlonfa

Post by marlonfa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:42 am

Thanks for your reply. In the electrical part it is described like this: Peavey Eletronics Corporation 711 A Street Meridian MS USA. Serial Number 10030...
Last edited by marlonfa on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marlonfa

Post by marlonfa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:43 am

His model is similar to the manual that the wheelman posted.